Question for the lampworkers

Old August 6th 03, 09:36 PM
KDK

Default Question for the lampworkers

Ok. So I'm taking a week long class beginning Monday on making glass beads.
I've been reading the Cindy Jenkins book. So - any suggestions for a
newbie? Things to be aware of? Things you wished you knew as a beginner,
etc

Since this is something I've never tried before I don't have expectations of
perfection (heck if I end up with something bead shaped rather than a blob
I'll be happy) and I tend to be nice to myself while learning. The scariest
thing to me is having to deal with gas (not the flame mind you). I don't
yet know what type of set up we will be using.

Thanks!!!!

Kathy K

Old August 6th 03, 10:35 PM
EL

I was amazed at what nice beads people made in the week long class they took
at William Holland when they were there -- I know you're going to come home
with some great stuff!!

And to think that you get to do two weeks in a row. My envy knows no
bounds.

Elise

.. .

Old August 6th 03, 11:54 PM
Karen_AZ

My best hint....RELAX. It's so easy to get tense, which ends up with you
having a death grip on the mandrel and the glass rod. This makes everything
come out jeky and uneven. Don't expect perfection, just sit back, watch the
glass and let IT tell you what's happening. Glass can be nudged but it
really gets cranky when you try to force it. Watch the way it heats and
changes colors. Learn about that and everything else follows.

--
KarenK
Desert Dreamer Designs

Old August 7th 03, 01:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

My advice would be to set aside Cindy's book (the old one, not applicable to
her new Beads of Glass , which is fab.). Check out More Than You Ever
Wanted To Know About Glass Bead Making by James Kervin and Passing the Flame
by Corina Tettinger. The first one is likely something your local library
will have. The second is new, expensive but worth it if you're going to go
beyond the newbie stage.

Also, make sure the place you're taking the class has adequate ventilation.
When I took my class, they had terrible ventilation, and my chest hurt for
days afterwards. I was fatigued and nauseous, and didn't know why until
Paulette told me I probably had a reaction to the propane fumes. Most
likely it's okay, but ask to make sure.

After the class, see if you buy torch time at the place the class is being
given until you get your own torch. Practice a ton. Make sure you love this
art before you invest money - it's an expensive art. Then, read everything
you can at the Wetcanvas boards and the ISGB forum. Reading the forums and
message boards were fun for me, and an inexpensive way to get a lot of
varied information and opinions. The posts there went a long way in helping
me with my set up. James Kervin's book is top notch in helping with the set
up of your torch and gas system. It will help ease your fears, as will the
forum posts.

Lastly - have fun! Don't let the glass scare you - melting and shaping the
glass can be a blissful experience if you let it. Open your mind and
imagination, and you'll love it.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old August 7th 03, 06:41 PM
KDK

Well week 1 is lampwork week 2 is PMC at a different school.

hee hee I'm so excited

Kathy K

"EL" wrote in message
I was amazed at what nice beads people made in the week long class they

took
at William Holland when they were there -- I know you're going to come

home
with some great stuff!!

And to think that you get to do two weeks in a row. My envy knows no
bounds.

Elise

.. .

Old August 7th 03, 06:46 PM
KDK

The class is at the William Holland school so hopefully the ventilation will
be good. Unfortunately it's not close enough to practice at for me (if they
have time), but I'm sure I can find somewhere in western NC that will have
studio time.

Thanks for the book recommendations too!

And I've always been fascinated with melting things

Kathy K

Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Monsterslayer / Beadalon question mªdcªt Beads 6 July 28th 03 09:10 PM
Question for lampworkers Tink Beads 8 July 26th 03 01:32 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM
Moretti Glass question bluemaxx Beads 20 July 12th 03 11:12 PM