new Rustoleum Varathane question

Old April 23rd 05, 06:43 PM
Sarajane Helm

Default new Rustoleum Varathane question

Has anybody had problems with the new Varathane made by Rustoleum (not the
old Flecto Varathane) yellowing on paint, paper or clay? or anything? I've
heard by email from a painter and printer who has had yellowing within weeks
on her canvases and papers--all nonacid/archival and what shes used all
along. The old Varathane has made it through years--the new is visibly
yellowing in weeks. I'm thinking its a contamination issue, but want to know
if anyone else is having this result. I'm not, but I'm using it only on
clay, and quite often with pigmnet added, so I'm not a good one to question
in this instance.

Any input, y'all?

--
Sarajane's Polyclay Gallery
Beads-Dolls-Wearable Art

Old April 23rd 05, 07:59 PM
Fenrir Enterprises

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:43:48 -0600, "Sarajane Helm"
wrote:

Has anybody had problems with the new Varathane made by Rustoleum (not the
old Flecto Varathane) yellowing on paint, paper or clay? or anything? I've
heard by email from a painter and printer who has had yellowing within weeks
on her canvases and papers--all nonacid/archival and what shes used all
along. The old Varathane has made it through years--the new is visibly
yellowing in weeks. I'm thinking its a contamination issue, but want to know
if anyone else is having this result. I'm not, but I'm using it only on
clay, and quite often with pigmnet added, so I'm not a good one to question
in this instance.

Any input, y'all?

I hope this isn't true, I used to use Future, but just bought some
Varathane and got the Rust Oleum version because I figured 1) it's
fresher and 2) It's what we're going to have to use from now on.

The Lowes by me had several cans with the Flecto brand on it, but only
the giant gallon cans for $50. I may go back and get this if anyone
else is having problems.
Old April 24th 05, 12:10 AM
mermaidscove

My husband used to paint houses and he warned me that varathane would
yellow. That was quite a few years ago so I don't know if it's the same
formula now.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

Old April 24th 05, 05:44 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

On 23 Apr 2005 16:10:59 -0700, "mermaidscove"
wrote:

My husband used to paint houses and he warned me that varathane would
yellow. That was quite a few years ago so I don't know if it's the same
formula now.

Ingrid
http://www.mermaidscove.com

He might be talking about the oil base one, which will yellow, almost
any oil based varnish will yellow over time. Acrylic/waterbase ones
generally go on clear (some woodworkers complain it gives a bluish,
'cold' look as a varnish) and not yellow. I'm hoping the Varathane
problem isn't true, but I may buy several gallons if so.
Old April 24th 05, 05:55 AM
mermaidscove

I've been using Mod Podge on the few things I've made. Is Varathane or
Future better than this? Mod Podge is easier to clean up...

Ingrid

Old April 24th 05, 06:05 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

On 23 Apr 2005 21:55:59 -0700, "mermaidscove"
wrote:

I've been using Mod Podge on the few things I've made. Is Varathane or
Future better than this? Mod Podge is easier to clean up...

Ingrid

I always fo und Mod Podge /harder/ to clean up since it's all...gooey,
rather than a basic watery finish like Varathane or Future.

Still holding out on the word on Rust Oleum's new version of
Varathane. Future's really good. Not as flexible for thin pieces, but
it's tough and adheres well. I may buy up all the Flecto Varathane I
can find then offer it in 2 oz craft bottles for $2 each or so.
Hopefully the Rust-Oleum version is just as good.
Old April 24th 05, 06:07 PM
Carla

I started with Mod Podge and the beads became tacky after a couple of
weeks.

Cheers,
Carla

Old April 24th 05, 10:19 PM
mermaidscove

Thanks! Saved me some headache then...

Ingrid

Old April 25th 05, 03:11 AM
Fenrir Enterprises

wrote:

Has anybody had problems with the new Varathane made by Rustoleum (not the
old Flecto Varathane) yellowing on paint, paper or clay? or anything? I've
heard by email from a painter and printer who has had yellowing within weeks
on her canvases and papers--all nonacid/archival and what shes used all
along. The old Varathane has made it through years--the new is visibly
yellowing in weeks. I'm thinking its a contamination issue, but want to know
if anyone else is having this result. I'm not, but I'm using it only on
clay, and quite often with pigmnet added, so I'm not a good one to question
in this instance.

Any input, y'all?

Have you posted this to any other message boards on polymer clay
websites? I'd like to hear if you got any answers. I'm just getting
into clay again and need to know if I should go buy up as much Flecto
as I can before it disappears.
Old April 25th 05, 01:48 PM
Sarajane Helm

I've posted this question here, and at Polymer Clay Central--those are the
two boards I read. So far, the only person with this yellowing issue is the
paper artist who originally wrote to me. Nobody else has answered with
anything other than curiousity---we all want to know!
Unfortuneately the woman with the yellowing threw the remaining
Varathane--and the can--away, so there's no further looking/testing
possible. We can't even verify that she got the new stuff or that it was
not the outdoor or oil based versions---she says not, but I really like
verification in these questions.

If anyone is on other groups/boards, please feel free to ask around and then
report back!