Masham Sheep and Wool Fair + New Wheel! -long

Old October 9th 03, 07:42 AM
Ophelia

"Helen "Halla" Fleischer" wrote in message
| On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 16:42:53 +0100, "Ophelia"

wrote:

Ee, bah goom! My husband remarked as we ate our Peking duck the other
day, "than we shall coom an' ate oop doocks..."

I do love that little song!

little song? LITTLE SONG???? It is almost the Yorkshire
anthem!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, not so little but wonderfully cheerful and darned near impossible to
get out of my head after a few hours this morning!
Talk about ear worms!

LOL

Old October 9th 03, 07:43 AM
Ophelia

"spampot" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message

They didn't have a summer in 1985!!

Course they did) As I said.. it was prolly just a wee bit damp)

Well, it was darned hard to tell from the spring & fall that year!! Not
just damp but cold and windy. In fact...it was hard to tell from a
Yorkshire winter!

Subtle differences luv. You have to stand still and think abart it

Old October 9th 03, 07:44 AM
Ophelia

"spampot" wrote in message

Well, then, just wait a bit and doocks will coom and ate oop woorms.

ROFL

Old October 9th 03, 06:57 PM
spampot

Ophelia wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message

They didn't have a summer in 1985!!

Course they did) As I said.. it was prolly just a wee bit damp)

Well, it was darned hard to tell from the spring & fall that year!! Not
just damp but cold and windy. In fact...it was hard to tell from a
Yorkshire winter!

Subtle differences luv. You have to stand still and think abart it

Hard to stand still in that wind, though!

Old October 9th 03, 07:32 PM
Ophelia

Hard to stand still in that wind, though!

Hmmmm you do have a point)

Old October 10th 03, 01:11 AM
Heather Cawte

Olwynmary writes
I was born and bred in County Durham

Ooh! Where? I was born and grew up in Southampton, but I now live in Esh
Winning

--
luv Heather from Durham UK http://www.barwickgreen.fsnet.co.uk

WIP: Opal socks, yellow fleece cardigan, Durham map XS
Old October 11th 03, 04:20 AM
Olwynmary

Olwynmary writes
I was born and bred in County Durham

Ooh! Where? I was born and grew up in Southampton, but I now live in Esh
Winning

I grew up in Ryhope, went to school in Seaham Harbor, married a man from
Fulwell, then a week after the wedding we flew across the Atlantic and have
lived on this side of the pond ever since.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.
Old October 12th 03, 04:37 AM
Olwynmary

Oh, DEAR Olwyn Mary, may I please have your recipe? I keep trying every
one that's printed in the newspaper, but I just can't find a recipe
adjusted for U.S. ingredients! They all seem to produce that heavy
too-sweet cakey stuff USA-ans have had foisted on them. Scones, my eye.
scornful sniff

Olwyn Mary here. Sorry I didn't reply before, but your message just showed up
now when someone else quoted it. I swear, my server only gives me half the
posts!!

Anyway, scones are such a personal thing, everyone has a different idea of how
they should taste. I generally just use the one in the Be-Ro Flour cookbook,
which I brought with me as a bride, but I substitute "best butter", i.e.
unsalted, for half the shortening, and then add a healthy handful of currants.

However, if you are interested in authentic British recipes, adapted for
American ingredients, you might look out for a used copy of "Great British
Cooking, a well-kept secret." by Jane Garmey, published by Random House in
1981. This book was written by an Englishwoman living in New York, and most of
her recipes are really good, in fact her fishcakes are dreamy, although IMO she
puts too many eggs in Yorkshire Pudding.

p.s. Your local Public Library may either have it, or could get it for you on
Inter-Library loan for you to have a look at it.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old October 12th 03, 07:14 PM
Heather Cawte

Olwynmary writes
Olwynmary writes
I was born and bred in County Durham

Ooh! Where? I was born and grew up in Southampton, but I now live in Esh
Winning

I grew up in Ryhope, went to school in Seaham Harbor, married a man from
Fulwell, then a week after the wedding we flew across the Atlantic and have
lived on this side of the pond ever since.

I have to say, I'd prefer New Orleans to Ryhope ))

Old October 14th 03, 02:36 AM
Olwynmary

I have to say, I'd prefer New Orleans to Ryhope ))

--
luv Heather from Durham UK

Yerss, werll, you'll notice I'm still here, not back there, even though DH is
planning to retire next Feb!!!!!!

Now, Durham itself is a different question. But we're still staying over here,
cuz this is where our kids and three grandbabies are.)

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans