Feece as Backing Question (longish)

Old September 1st 03, 11:21 PM

Default Feece as Backing Question (longish)

Hi,

My younger sister was in town briefly and stopped by my place. Of course
my dining room table had my huge cutting mat and quilty stuff covering
it. She starts asking me questions about quilting. She had just bought
a sewing machine and a book and fabric for a quilt. (She is very
spontaneous.) I learn that she wants to make a queen sized pinwheel
quilt for her first project. Nothing like starting big And she tells
me that she bought fleece to use as the backing.

She said that she did not like the book that she bought- she said she
couldn't understand it and that she was returning it. So I gave her a
quick pattern for a pinwheel block, explained making HST, and loaned her
my copy of A Quilter's Complete Guide by Fons and Porter. I told her if
she had any questions to call or email me for help.

Well, I was just thinking about her project, and I wonder how people who
use fleece as backing finish the edges of their quilts. Do you stitch
and turn, birth, or bind? I know how to bind a regular quilt but I have
never worked with fleece in a quilt. Any help or methods are welcome.

I guess we have another quilter-in-training now. BG

Thanks and happy stitching,

Julie
Richmond, VA
Old September 2nd 03, 12:21 AM
Sharon Harper

The one that's on my daybed in my sewing room (not the study, the sewing
room!) is a 3-rail fence done in pastel poly-cotton and backed with white
fleece. I birthed this baby and tied her and she is wonderful. So simple
yet so cute and very very snuggley. Hmmmm might have to make another one as
I've just been given another 2 bags of fabric scraps. Maybe a scrappy
fence? Or a scrappy nine-patch? Or maybe I'd best finish Wayne's quilt
first.

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
.net...

Old September 2nd 03, 01:23 AM
MerryStahel

I've done both with fleece.

In a birthed quilt, I just make a bag and turn it. Clip the corners before you
turn. Poke 'em out with a pointing thing (I use the tips of my scissors, but
that's dangerous if they are sharp).

The other way, I back it, tie it off, and then pull the extra fleece over the
front and use it as binding.

Merry
Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once
http://www.stardancerpress.com/MerryStahel/
http://community.webshots.com/user/merrystahel

Old September 2nd 03, 02:34 AM
Ruth in Happy Camp

You loaned her your Fons & Porter? Boy, you trust your sister a whole lot
more than I trust any of mine.
--
Ruth in Happy Camp

Old September 2nd 03, 04:12 AM
Sharon Harper

Umm from what I can remember (and remember I was new to the SM when I made
this!) I sorta just sewed to about 1/4" from the end, turned it, kept going,
turned and kept going, etc. When it came time to birth I think I clipped
away a bit of the excess fabric around the corners but didn't get too
fussy..

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
Member of the Houston 2004 Party Animals
"Polly Esther" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Sharon, how did you deal with birthing the corners? Did you round them off

bit and clip lots or what? I like the idea but need the details. Polly

u...

Old September 2nd 03, 10:39 AM
Sharon Harper

Ooooh sneaky! Thanks for this tip - I'm saving for future reference!!

--
Sharon From Melbourne Australia (Qof DU)
http://www.geocities.com/shazrules/index.html
Member of the Houston 2004 Party Animals
"Patti" wrote in message
Hullo Polly
Just my pennyworth in here, too!
This is a likely situation for using the old tailoring trick for turning
sharp corners: instead of pivoting and simply changing direction at the
corner, stop a little before the quarter inch, then turn the quilt half
way round (I mean 45 degrees), sew one or two stitches on the diagonal,
then turn it again (the other 45) and proceed down the next side.
Although this looks as if it will blunt the corner, all it does is allow
a little 'space' for all the extra bulk to be turned into. The
resulting corner will be beautiful
.
In article k.net,
Polly Esther writes
Sharon, how did you deal with birthing the corners? Did you round them

off a
bit and clip lots or what? I like the idea but need the details. Polly

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

Old September 2nd 03, 01:45 PM
Pati Cook

I have a quilt basted to fleece, and a few more ready to be basted. Plan to
bind with one of the quilt fabrics. But could also bind with fleece, not
doubled. Single layer fleece, done as usual. Since fleece won't ravel no
need to double it. But I have a feeling the corners might be bulky.

Pati, in Phx

Old September 2nd 03, 02:31 PM
LN \(remove NOSPAM\)

You can bind them in the exact same way you do with a 'regular' quilt.
Fleece is a great backing!

--
LN in NH
a crazy quilter * hand quilter * & hand appliquér

Old September 2nd 03, 04:15 PM
Kathy Applebaum

wrote in message
.net...
Well, I was just thinking about her project, and I wonder how people who
use fleece as backing finish the edges of their quilts. Do you stitch
and turn, birth, or bind?

I have lots of customers who use fleece as a backing for kids quilts. Since
I won't work on birthed quilts, that means they all do some form of binding,
usually an applied binding.

Fleece does quilt up very nicely, and other than making sure it doesn't
stretch, doesn't pose any special issues IMHO.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
longarm machine quilting, Queen of Fabric Tramps