My William Holland Week

Old July 1st 03, 01:55 AM
EL

Default My William Holland Week

I spent last week at William Holland School of Lapidary Arts --
http://www.lapidaryschool.org.

For those of you that don't know about William Holland, it's not only a
great place to learn a astonishing number of jewelry related things but it's
one of the last great bargains. A week long class, room and board included,
can be had for $285 ($250 if you share a room). There were 13 separate
classes going on last week, from beading (stringing) to silversmithing to
making glass beads to fusing glass to cutting cabochons to faceting stones
to to to ....

Three of us went together. We hauled the 25' travel trailer up and hooked
it up in the very nice full hookup campground. Ellen and I took Wire II,
Linda took beading.

Our Wire II class was taught by Jessie Donnan, who literally wrote the
book -- 8 of them at last count -- on wire. She's an incredibly talented
wire artist and a very gifted teacher. Her books are excellent. She's self
published, so they're not bound, but she has a great Beginning Wirecraft
book and seven volumes of Advanced Wirecraft books. Each book has over a
dozen great projects with very good instructions. They're only available
from her or from William Holland.

My main goal for the week was to get my basic techniques honed -- wraps,
loops, using pliers well -- and I definitely succeeded in that. If I can
figure out the digital camera anytime soon, I'll post pictures.

Linda's beading class covered knotting, various closures, design principles,
what stringing material to use for what, French bullion, etc. Her teacher,
Dot Kasper-Eberle, had an entire bead shop set up in her room, and Ellen and
I "shopped" daily. I came home with a much augmented bead stash.

Teachers are all volunteers and do it strictly for love of the craft. They
do make a little money selling supplies, but it's precious little. It truly
is a labor of love for them. Almost without exception teachers opened the
classrooms after supper to work with students who wanted extra time, and the
same was true on our "free" afternoon.

Friday was show and tell day, and I was amazed at what people were doing
after only one week.

It was a great week -- off in the woods in the North Georgia mountains,
nothing to do but fiddle with wire and beads and relax with good friends.
Wish I could go back tomorrow.

Elise

Old July 1st 03, 02:06 PM
Steve & Susan Wright

We drove through GA with the idea that next year we would go to WH but Steve
was way to allergic to the GA mountains.
A friend Bob Kennedy teaches chain making there and I would highly reccomend
any class with Bob. He also has self published a chain book to go with one
of his classes. I learned so much from him when I took classes in KC. He
is a member of the Sterling Guild of KC and always has chains on display and
does demos at the KC Gem and Mineral Show in Nov.

Susan W

Old July 1st 03, 06:09 PM
Deirdre S.

I'd love to make a pilgrimage there sometime ... but it is further
away now than it used to be, so it make take a while before I can
afford to go.

Meanwhile, I will save my nickels for Tim McCreight, who does a
'metalworking for non-metalworkers' class here in Portland at the
College of Art & Craft during summer session. I've missed it for this
year, but I will be prepared for next year.

Deirdre

On 01 Jul 2003 16:04:33 GMT, (Laurie) wrote:

Elise! Oh my goodness...thanks for posting this. It's a fabulous opportunity,
isn't it?

The Use of Foul Language in Written Communication: The Tiny Rumblings of the
Ineffectual and Stunted Thinker. The Inability to Think Beyond The Obivious and
The Crude. ~~~Henry A. Byrne

Old July 1st 03, 07:11 PM
Beadbimbo

Wah! Another post I didn't get!

Elise, would you send me your William Holland post! I want to hear about
it! I'm so fond of that place. A friend of mine is coming from Tx. to go
there next week. I hope she likes it as much as I do.

--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

Old July 1st 03, 11:06 PM