Stash Building

Old June 22nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sherry

Default Stash Building

Just curious. When you run across a fabric that you just dearly love,
but have no idea what
you're going to do with it, or nothing at home that really complements
it, how much of
it do you buy? Just in anticipation that you WILL use it in a quilt
pattern some day?

Sherry
Old June 22nd 08, 04:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Louise in Iowa[_2_]

Sherry, I go with at least three yards (more if I can afford it) if it's
something I think I'll use in both blocks and borders (particularly if it's
a focus fabric that I'll build the rest of the quilt around). If it's
something that catches my eye and will be a great accent color, but not one
that I would want to be too dominant, I'll probably go with less - more like
a yard or so.

--
Louise in Iowa
nielandl@ msn dot com

Old June 22nd 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Laurie G. in CA

I have been known to buy the remainder of the bolt all at once OR to end up
with the entire bolt by getting a few yards at a time! I say go for it and
get it all!!!!!

Laurie G. in CA

Old June 22nd 08, 05:04 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

All depends on current circumstances! I usually go for 3metres or
finish the bolt - if it is something that you would 'hate' to cut into
- then buy enough for backing. I have lots of those lying
around.......jennellh

Old June 22nd 08, 05:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

I get 2-3 yards if I can.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old June 22nd 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati C.

Depends on how I think I will use it. G If it is a great focus fabric,
one to build a quilt around, I will get 2-3 yards at least. If it is a
secondary type fabric, perhaps a yard or so. Blenders and backgrounds
will be 1-3 yards depending on how well I really like it. If it is a
great one that could be used as a "neutral" I might buy more than that.
G Depends on the price and the pocketbook. Usually the minimum I buy
of anything is a half yard. G

Pati, in Phx who has way too much fabric and not nearly enough time. G

Old June 22nd 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lenore L

Golly, that is hard to answer. If I like it, I usually get 1/2 a yard. If
I really like it, a yard. If I think it is something that I can blend with
others, I get a fat quarter.

Happy shopping,

Lenore

Old June 22nd 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
Just curious. When you run across a fabric that you just dearly love,
but have no idea what
you're going to do with it, or nothing at home that really complements
it, how much of
it do you buy? Just in anticipation that you WILL use it in a quilt
pattern some day?

Sherry

Since scrappy quilts are my first love usually 1/4 yd will do~but if I
really LOVE the fabric I may buy up to yard. Of course this depends on how
many other pieces of fabric I intend to buy too.
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old June 22nd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Sherry" wrote in message
Just curious. When you run across a fabric that you just dearly love,
but have no idea what
you're going to do with it, or nothing at home that really complements
it, how much of
it do you buy? Just in anticipation that you WILL use it in a quilt
pattern some day?

Step 1: open wallet
Step 2: examine contents
Step 3: buy enough to empty wallet.
Step 4: take fabric home and enjoy.

Since I make all my quilts from stash, having no idea what I'm going to do
with it isn't an obstacle. And if I dearly love it, and I don't have
anything right now that works with it, I *will* have something that works
with it eventually. If I really love it, I'll use it in lots of quilts, so
I'll need quite a bit.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

remove the obvious to reply

Old June 22nd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Now that is a sensible solution. : )
I do mostly scrappy quilts so I don't buy lot of big amounts of
yardage. I fill gaps of color with one or 2 yard pieces. For the
really can't pass up fabrics that might not work with a lot
of other fabrics I get 3 or 4 yards. More if it is on sale or
a good price.
Taria

Kathy Applebaum wrote:

Step 1: open wallet
Step 2: examine contents
Step 3: buy enough to empty wallet.
Step 4: take fabric home and enjoy.

Since I make all my quilts from stash, having no idea what I'm going to do
with it isn't an obstacle. And if I dearly love it, and I don't have
anything right now that works with it, I *will* have something that works
with it eventually. If I really love it, I'll use it in lots of quilts, so
I'll need quite a bit.

Help building a light box Boner the Cat Glass 7 July 23rd 05 05:07 AM
Stash building MoragP Quilting 20 September 27th 04 07:05 PM
Stash building Sat at Joann's Kathy in CA Quilting 17 September 26th 03 02:38 PM
Yarn Substitution and building a stash Sew-Sew Lady Yarn 1 August 23rd 03 03:33 PM