2006 Projects?

Old December 20th 05, 02:11 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Default 2006 Projects?

On 12/19/05 2:35 PM, in article 7YDpf.138863$ki.44868@pd7tw2no, "Maureen In
Vancouver, B.C." wrote:

Who has something slated for stitching in 2006? I'd like to do "Jewels Of
The Orient" by Dimensions, but I see I can either pay $34. on-line, $50. at
my local Michaels, or $72. at my L.N.S.! All three are for the exact same
kit.

Maureen

It does appear on Ebay.

R&D&H,

Cheryl

Old December 20th 05, 04:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Not for nothing, but your LNS is a major rip off artist! Wow, talk
about marking something up. I know the Canadian dollar is somewhat
different, but that's simply amazingly high. www.hobbylobby.com has a
40% off Internet coupon listed right now. It's their Internet
special. (Their site is down at this moment or I'd have supplied the
direct link to the coupon, sorry.) You can print it out and use it in
the store if you have a Hobby Lobby there. I've also seen it on eBay
for 14.99 plus 8 dollars shipping/handling. I am even willing to go
to a Michael's or a Hobby Lobby for you, buy it, ship it to you.

Old December 21st 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Vancouver, B.C." wrote:

Who has something slated for stitching in 2006? I'd like to do "Jewels Of
The Orient" by Dimensions, but I see I can either pay $34. on-line, $50. at
my local Michaels, or $72. at my L.N.S.! All three are for the exact same
kit.

It does appear on Ebay.

I do tend to buy stuff on Ebay. That said, if I'm buying from a brick
and mortar store, I try to buy from my LNS, even if she is more
expensive, simply because I'd like her to stay in business. If I buy
things from Michaels or Joanns, then I have no right to complain if my
LNS goes out of business. Sure, it costs more to buy stuff from her,
but I also get lots of advice and she carries much nicer products than
the chains.

By all means, buy where you want, but please, please, please, do
consider that price really isn't the only factor (although in this case,
the difference *is* rather compelling).

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 21st 05, 12:29 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Jangchub wrote:

Not for nothing, but your LNS is a major rip off artist! Wow, talk
about marking something up.

You're assuming that the distributor made the kit available to Maureen's
LNS for the same wholesale price that HobbyLobby and Michael's have
available to them. That's probably not the case and the markup for the
LNS probably isn't as much as you think.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old December 21st 05, 02:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dr. Brat wrote:

consider that price really isn't the only factor

Amen to that. A lot of small stores see WalMart coming into town and
simply surrender. They don't get it that there are a lot of ways they
can compete -- you'll never beat WalMart on price, but you can beat them
on selection or customer service.

To take the department we're all most familiar with (but this applies
equally to other departments), yeah, WM has floss for 24c, whereas LNS
has it for 55c. But WM stocks only 3/4 of the colors, and nine times
out of ten, at least one of the colors you want isn't there (whether
never stocked or sold out). Yeah, WM has floss, but where's the
Kreinik? the GAST? the rayons? Yeah, WM has that cute Sesame Street kit
for $2 less than LNS, but LNS has 100 different kits, not just 20. And
WM has a couple dozen beginner books, but no Mirabilias or Silver
Linings or Victoria Samplers for those of us looking for a challenge.
Yeah, WM can beat LNS on price for white Aida-14. But there's only one
place in town I can get black Aida-18, or Hardanger, or a piece larger
than 15x18. Yeah, WM has stitchy stuff, but you just try to find
someone in WM who can teach a beginner how to start, and teach it in
English.

I'm sorry, but being able to buy DMC310 for half the price doesn't help
me when what I really need is DMC311; it's an entirely different color.
And while it's nice to be able to grab a $2 tube of 15x18 white Aida
(instead of $4 for the same tube at LNS), that doesn't help me when I'm
working on a Silver Lining where the stitched area is 16x20. It's those
things that LNS can win on.

Ditto for every other department -- there will be things that a
three-aisle hardware department, or a 200-square-foot clothing
department doesn't have, that a 1000-sf independent hardware or clothing
store has room for. You might buy your playclothes at WM, but I don't
think too many of us would think of WM first when we need a dress for a
special occasion. You ever try to find classical music or foreign/"art"
films at WM? Easy enough for independent store owners to pop into WM,
see what they *don't* carry, and stock up on those items.

Yeah, LNS doesn't get a lot of my business for floss, but the couple
bucks that I've saved on floss at WM comes back to LNS for another chart
that I wouldn't have bought, which means I now have to buy a nice big
chunk of fabric for the new chart I wouldn't have bought.

--
Karen C - California
www.CFSfacts.org where we give you the facts and dispel the myths

WIP: July birthstone, Flowers of Hawaii (Jeanette Crews) for ME!!!
LTR: Fireman's Prayer (#2), Amid Amish Life, Angel of Autumn,
Calif Sampler, Holiday Snowglobe

See my designs exclusively at www.TyWolfeDesigns.com

Editor/Proofreader http://hometown.aol.com/kmc528/KMC.html
Old December 21st 05, 02:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"Dr. Brat" wrote
You're assuming that the distributor made the kit available to Maureen's
LNS for the same wholesale price that HobbyLobby and Michael's have
available to them. That's probably not the case and the markup for the
LNS probably isn't as much as you think.

I have found that ordering on-line from the USA sometimes involves
ridiculously high shipping costs, which, coupled with the exchange rate,
even with the strong Canadian dollar, as well as "special handling charges
for foreign orders", minimum orders and duties, can make a "bargain"
purchase quite costly.
Dawne

Old December 21st 05, 03:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Dr. Brat" wrote
You're assuming that the distributor made the kit available to Maureen's
LNS for the same wholesale price that HobbyLobby and Michael's have
available to them. That's probably not the case and the markup for the
LNS probably isn't as much as you think.

I have found that ordering on-line from the USA sometimes involves
ridiculously high shipping costs, which, coupled with the exchange rate,
even with the strong Canadian dollar, as well as "special handling charges
for foreign orders", minimum orders and duties, can make a "bargain"
purchase quite costly.
Dawne

Plus customs duty.
Dora

Old December 21st 05, 04:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

"bungadora" wrote in message
oups.com...

Dawne Peterson wrote:
"Dr. Brat" wrote
You're assuming that the distributor made the kit available to
Maureen's
LNS for the same wholesale price that HobbyLobby and Michael's have
available to them. That's probably not the case and the markup for the
LNS probably isn't as much as you think.

I have found that ordering on-line from the USA sometimes involves
ridiculously high shipping costs, which, coupled with the exchange rate,
even with the strong Canadian dollar, as well as "special handling
charges
for foreign orders", minimum orders and duties, can make a "bargain"
purchase quite costly.
Dawne

Plus customs duty.
Dora

I've never has to pay customs duty...just 15% HST plus a $5 fee for them to
collect it!

Mavia

Old December 21st 05, 04:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

Well, whatever it is, it adds up.
Dora

Old December 21st 05, 09:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework

My goals are
1 Life's a Stitch by Twisted Threads (gift for sister)
2. I want a New Man for Christmas by Twisted Threads (I broke the last one)
gift for newly divorce friend
3. Professor Frizzby's Wonderous Strange Wee Creatures pattern 3, 4, and 10
by Terrence Nolan ( gift of nephew)
I see how the goals go.

"Pat P" wrote in message

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 12/19/05 4:21 PM, in article
t, "Barbara Raper"
wrote:

Does your Michael's ad have a coupon for 40% or 50% off on one item?

Do
the
other stores have coupons? I'm always looking for a deal!
Barbara in SC (and now in cold FL)

That's the route I'd take!

Cheryl

Well, I`ll just HAVE to do another of haunted house or church now Cheryl
sent me some luminous thread! LOL! Maybe have a face looking out of a
window - or something flitting between trees!

Pat P