My first big quilt But!!!!!!!!!!!

Old March 14th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny

Default My first big quilt But!!!!!!!!!!!

Shirley, you are my newest hero! What a lovely quilt. Nobody would be
disappointed to receive that quilt. And your other work is amazing. I
already knew that. Whenever I wear that beautiful pendant people stop
me and ask where it came from. Everybody raves about it.

You are truly an artist and your talent is too big for just one venue.

Sunny

Old March 14th 07, 10:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
nzlstar*

stick with beading? oh no ya dont, girl.
that is a beautiful quilt and would i know of no one who would refuse if it
was given as a gift.
that said, i reckon you should 'keep' your first quilt so in yrs to come you
can see how far your progressed. #1 is always so special.
it deserves a new album, not stuck with 'other crafts'. so i reckon you need
to make one just for QUILTS.
that will make it easier for the rest of us to find your 'next' (your dh's
words, lol) quilts.
keep up the good work and as all have said, you will improve as with
anything you do in life.
cheers from what hopefully will be a big drying out day here on the other
side of the planet,
jeanne
--
Vote B'fly for President '08
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz

"Shirley Shone" wrote...
But it did not turn out as I wanted it to.
I think I thought too big in the first place. I could not move it around
as I would have liked to, on the sewing machine.
Still I tried and I hope that Butterfly will not be too disappointed.

DH said I would do better next time, if there is a next time.
Anyway the top fabric only cost me 5 GBP's about 10 dollars.
You can see my effort under other crafts on my website which is in my sig.
line.
Maybe I should stick with beading LOL
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.demon.co.uk

Old March 14th 07, 10:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

Thanks Joanna, but maybe I will tackle something smaller next time.
I wanted to do a more fancy quilting pattern but could not manage the
amount of fabric. I am 71 and I think I must be getting weaker. LOL
Hugs
Shirley

In message naYJh.83488$Du6.81371@edtnps82, Joanna
writes
I think it's great! Not sure what you were wanting but I would use that
quilt in my house. I do hope you keep on quilting. It's always a
learning process no matter whether you are a beginner or you have been
doing it for 20 yrs. So enjoy!
Take care
Joanna

Old March 14th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message . com, Sunny
writes
Shirley, you are my newest hero! What a lovely quilt. Nobody would be
disappointed to receive that quilt. And your other work is amazing. I
already knew that. Whenever I wear that beautiful pendant people stop
me and ask where it came from. Everybody raves about it.

You are truly an artist and your talent is too big for just one venue.

Sunny

Thank You Sunny. I am so happy that the pendant gives you so much
pleasure.
Hugs
Shirley

Old March 14th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

Thanks for your kind words
Shirley

In message vkYJh.83490$Du6.42531@edtnps82, ~KK in BC~
writes
Oh my!! That is a wonderful looking quilt! You should have seen my first
attempt...... it was an attempt and we will let it RIP from there LOL

Don't give up!! Kudos!

~KK in BC~

Old March 14th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Anne Rogers
writes
looks good to me!

I've never made a big quilt, I'm not sure I ever will, I'm very much a duvet
person when it comes to sleeping, I'd have no use for a big quilt, though I
had thought of turning a pieced top into a duvet cover.

Anne

That what I intended to do originally make duvet covers.
However I suffer from jumpy, cramp in my legs and often sleep on top of
the bed, so I have no weight of bed clothes on my legs.
I thought this would give warmth without too much weight.
Hugs
Shirley

Old March 14th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

I will see if I can make a new page for quilts in my website.
Just have to get my 71 year old brain in action.
Beading is very much my forte though along with making greeting cards.

I have just finished doing all the wedding stationery for my GD's
wedding later this year.
My clever GD who at the age of 23 has just got her Master's degree in
Nutrition.
Hugs
Shirley

In message , nzlstar*
writes

Old March 14th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Honey, does this quilt make my but look big? Nice work, Shirley! Don't
be so hard on yourself - be proud of your hard work!

Wendy

Old March 14th 07, 10:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Tia Mary

Shirley Shone wrote:

But it did not turn out as I wanted it to.
I think I thought too big in the first place. I could not move it around
as I would have liked to, on the sewing machine.
Still I tried and I hope that Butterfly will not be too disappointed. ........
Shirley

OK Shirley, tell us what is wrong with the quilt. Is it just that
you aren't happy with the quilting because the quilt face is quite
lovely? So next time, you just make a smaller quilt and it won't be
quite so difficult. This being your first quilt and all, you aren't
experienced in how to bully a large quilt around. All it takes it
practice and perseverance. Start smaller and then just progressively
get bigger and bigger. You'll eventually find your size limit as far as
being comfortable when machine quilting. You can't give up -- we won't
let you :-). CiaoMeow ^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ (RCTQ Queen of Kitties)
their whiskers!
Visit my Photo albums at http://community.webshots.com/user/tiamary
Old March 14th 07, 11:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

It's great! If you enjoy quilting, do more. If not, that's fine,
too, because there are so many other wonderful things to do! I knit,
crochet, quilt, tat, do counted cross stitch, and design for all. At
the moment I am busy quilting, although a bag of yarn seems to be
calling to me, softly whispering "Let me out! I'm a sweater!"
Although I have two sewing machines (one is my grandmother's treadle),
I do everything by hand and let the machines nap in their respective
corners.