Why attend a Quilting Retreat?

Old March 14th 07, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
frood

Default Why attend a Quilting Retreat?

I went to a quilting retreat with Pat W., who graciously invited me to
join her guild's retreat. I didn't know anyone but Pat, but the ladies
were so nice! I took lots of projects, so I would have a choice of what
to work on (I'm more "whim oriented" than "goal oriented"), and Pat and
I had a great time! It was wonderful to see what others were working on
- you never know what is going to inspire you to do that next project.
Sharing ideas and fabric is always fun, in my book!

We ate at assigned tables, with different groups each meal, to get to
know each other. We played games, and exchanged stories, and won
prizes... It was wonderful to have no responsibilities and play at
sewing all day!

The only draw back was the remote location, meaning very little cell
phone reception. Not that I want cells ringing all the time, but I like
to check in with my kids before they go to bed when I travel.

Wendy

Debra wrote:
I've never been on a quilting retreat, but from what I've read here it
sounds as if you pack up your sewing stuff and lug it all out the
house to go sit in a motel room and sew next to the stranger that is
sharing your room, and at regular intervals you stop sewing and leave
the room to go eat meals with more strangers.

I must be missing something because I just don't see why I would go to
one when it would be much easier and less costly to sew at home. So,
can someone let me in on the secret allure of the quilting retreat?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old March 14th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Marcella Peek

Default Thanks.....was--Why attend a Quilting Retreat?

Sounds like a good fit for you.

A couple things to consider though....some of the larger retreats (like
Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar) have machines available to rent or
reserve. So lugging your machine isn't always a requirement. Many of
the retreats I have been to also have a quilt shop that sets up on site
so there is shopping right there. Others have shopping adventures to
local shops as part of the retreat as well.

marcella

In article ,
Debra wrote:

The answers were very informative. It seems a quilting retreat is
very much like a small Sci-Fi convention or SCA event, but geared to
quilters. They have the same sort of activities (including sewing),
but sometimes with slightly different names. A quilt show seems to
offer everything that a retreat offers except the long time spent
sewing, and without the need to lug around my sewing machine and
project gear. A quilt show has the added advantage of vendors whose
wares usually include things I can't buy locally. I think I will
stick to going to nearby shows for the time being. Day tripping to a
quilt show alone is one thing, but going to a retreat alone would be
another.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Old March 14th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

I have a sign in my studio which reads "I've never met a quilter I
didn't like". One advantage of going on a quilt retreat is making new
friends. You know you will like the other attendees because you share
their love of quilting.

Susan

Old March 15th 07, 06:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
~KK in BC~

Thank you for asking this question. I have often wondered myself about these
retreats and the value of them. There isn't anything like that up here where
I am so if I were to attend one it would be a big undertaking for me and the
cost of it wasn't justified to me for the same reasons you queried about in
your original post.

Gotta love this group and the information flow that clears up those
questions.

~KK in BC~

Old March 15th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sharon Gates

MENTAL HEALTH!!!!!!!!!! :-) It is amazing how even a day in a place away
from the usual is energizing! Weekend retreats are easiest for most, as
some of us still work outside the home. Being away from the telephone, the
usual tasks and just doing what pleases me, when it pleases me, and being
with other quilters who love what they do as much as I do, oohing and aahing
over each others fabrics and WIP's, not worrying about who is home for
dinner or what to make...........................that is why I attend. Next
w/e I and 3 friends were invited to a retreat in Ogdensburg, NY (we are from
Montreal). There are no classes - just bring your own work.
In August I will be attending a retreat, held in the Adirondacks - this one
is led by Sharon Stroud and Anita Shackelford - there is a retreat project.
It will be my 5th time there.
So if you have a chance to go to a quilt retreat, go and have fun.
Sharon

Old March 15th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary in Rock Island IL

Today, I was at my first sit and sew since retreat. None of them have
ever gone to retreat and were amazed at what I had gotten done there.

I think it is a combination of the unstructured time, ready access to
advice and suggestions and the focus of having as many or as few
projects as you choose to work on.

My guild also has a smaller type event which occurs about every month
or so. We have the use of a large room (where we often have workshops
with guild speakers) for Friday through Sunday about 8 am to 10 pm.
Bring what you want to work on, come and go when you must. I haven't
gotten to this yet but do have high hopes for this weekend as I have a
top to piece.

Mary
Old March 16th 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

"Debra" wrote in message
I've never been on a quilting retreat, but from what I've read here it
sounds as if you pack up your sewing stuff and lug it all out the
house to go sit in a motel room and sew next to the stranger that is
sharing your room, and at regular intervals you stop sewing and leave
the room to go eat meals with more strangers.

I must be missing something because I just don't see why I would go to
one when it would be much easier and less costly to sew at home. So,
can someone let me in on the secret allure of the quilting retreat?
Debra in VA
See my quilts at

Pros:
* You aren't tempted by things like housework, cooking, or TV, so you really
can sew all day. I don't manage that at home, even when I plan it.
* The retreat I went to also had optional classes going on all the time,
included in the cost.
* At the retreat I went to you didn't sew in a motel room, but in a big room
with 40 other women. 40 other stashes to raid, 40 other pairs of eyes for
advice, 40 other brains for ideas, and always sure to be at least ONE
interesting person in the bunch. Some of the women there I'd be quite happy
if I never, ever saw again. Some of the women there were FABULOUS, and I'm
so happy I met them. And some were in between.

Cons:
* I'm not energized by crowds, so a retreat sucks the energy right out of
me. I need a vacation to recover from it.
* Cost
* I can't take my entire sewing room, including design walls, with me. (To a
certain extent, this was also a pro, because it kept me focused on my
projects.)

Is it worth it? That's a personal decision. I doubt I'll go back to that
same retreat (I skipped this year) because of the cost and the crowds. But
three of my quilting buddies and I are looking at renting a house on the
coast next year for a long quilting weekend. (Of course, knowing us we might
not get any sewing done. We could just talk, laugh, and eat all weekend.
*grin*)

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

Old March 16th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

On 3/16/07 9:03 AM, in article
, "Kathy Applebaum"
wrote:

Pros:
* You aren't tempted by things like housework, cooking, or TV, so you really
can sew all day. I don't manage that at home, even when I plan it.

Hah! Housework temptation? I don't think so.

* The retreat I went to also had optional classes going on all the time,
included in the cost.
* At the retreat I went to you didn't sew in a motel room, but in a big room
with 40 other women. 40 other stashes to raid, 40 other pairs of eyes for
advice, 40 other brains for ideas, and always sure to be at least ONE
interesting person in the bunch. Some of the women there I'd be quite happy
if I never, ever saw again. Some of the women there were FABULOUS, and I'm
so happy I met them. And some were in between.

More chance to find people to click with; more chance to avoid others. g

Cons:
* I'm not energized by crowds, so a retreat sucks the energy right out of
me. I need a vacation to recover from it.
* Cost
* I can't take my entire sewing room, including design walls, with me. (To a
certain extent, this was also a pro, because it kept me focused on my
projects.)

I don't take a sewing machine on retreats. Handquilting and handpiecing
were invented for me. g

Is it worth it? That's a personal decision. I doubt I'll go back to that
same retreat (I skipped this year) because of the cost and the crowds. But
three of my quilting buddies and I are looking at renting a house on the
coast next year for a long quilting weekend. (Of course, knowing us we might
not get any sewing done. We could just talk, laugh, and eat all weekend.
*grin*)

Yeah, what she said. Some things work, some don't; but you don't know
'til you try, retreats, quilting, travel, paint... whatever. ;-D

Quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 3 February 25th 06 01:02 AM
Back from vacation - aka, a quilting retreat! AliceW Quilting 11 June 1st 05 05:08 PM
Quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 2 October 28th 04 01:30 PM
Report on my Quilting Retreat Mardi Quilting 6 April 18th 04 02:32 AM
Back from a quilting retreat Julia in MN Quilting 5 December 16th 03 04:47 AM