I went to Amish Quilt Auction

Old June 6th 05, 12:25 AM
She in PA

Default I went to Amish Quilt Auction

Saturday My Hubby and I were going to go to Holmes County Ohio for the day.
There are lots of shops and quilts and Amish people. It is an Amish
Community. But, instead we decided to go to New Wilmington a town in PA that
is also A lot of Amish. and not as far. We were driving down the road and a
little sign said loomed rugs closed Sundays. I wanted to see the rugs. We
went to an Amish house and the older lady was very nice and said that her
husband makes them he had a stroke and it is good therapy for his hands. I
found 2 I liked and the were $12.50 each. Great buy! We were talking as we
were looking and I told her I wanted to look at some quilts and she said
there was an Auction going on in town. We drove into town and asked around
but no one seemed to know. I stopped in a quilt shop and she said that It
was down the road and it started early in the morning and she didn't know if
it was still going on or not. We pulled up I never saw so many buggies. Very
few outsiders but we felt welcomed. The had auctions going on everywhere.
Tools on place, flowers another, ringer washers, and then we found the quilt
tent. They had just started selling quilts at noon and it was almost 1:00.
Queen size beautiful pieced quilts were selling for 250.00 to 2.75. I
couldn't believe it. My fabric cost that much. I ended up buying 2 wall
hangings on was 35.00 and the other was 5.00. Then I bought an old double
wedding ring quilt top that was old and never finished for 15.00. I bought a
huge lone star wall hanging for 35.00. At the end there was a very sad quilt
that was all tattered and torn that I bought for 5.00.

The older quilts can anyone tell me how to clean them. The double Wedding
Ring looks like it has a drop of blood on it from long ago. Do you think
there is any chance of getting it out?

This Auction is the first Saturday in June every year.

Old June 6th 05, 12:29 PM
Bonnie NJ

That sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day! Just where is New
Wilmington located?

--
Bonnie
NJ

Old June 6th 05, 09:16 PM
She in PA

It is North of Pittsburgh and close to the Ohio line near Youngstown Ohio.
It was about 45 minutes from Beaver Falls Pa. If you know where any of these
towns are. You can go into Map Quest and search and it will show you. They
have it every year,. It was just a wonderful day. Almost all Amish very few
outsiders. You are welcome to come. There are auction going on everywhere.
Tools, ringer washers, flowers, animals, and then the quilts. I was
fascinated by the pulley system they had to get them up to show them. It was
inside a huge tent with a lot of seating. Then on each side of the
auctioneer was a pulley system a large long bar with claps. They would clamp
a quilt on and hoist it up and start auctioning it. When it was sold the
one on the other side went up and the bagged the one that sold then they
would get another one ready. Just one after another. They would tell you the
measurements then if it was new or old and if it was completely finished.
The prices were cheaper then the material would cost. It was so much fun
et...

Old June 7th 05, 02:31 AM
Bonnie NJ

It sure sounds like a fun day! I think it may be a bit of a trip for us -
all the way across Pa. I wonder if the Amish or Mennonite around Lancaster
County have a similar yearly auction. I'll have to check with my DH's
relatives.
--
Bonnie
NJ
[...]