A rude awakening

Old September 27th 07, 03:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default A rude awakening

http://www.fabricstodyefor.com/c-390-gutermann.aspx

here's one link to a page full of gutermann thread 'cabinets' chock-a-
block with spools.....enjoy....jennellh

On Sep 27, 8:08 am, John wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:11 pm, jennellh wrote: John - it is Atlanta Thread who do the bulk order price reduction for
same colour threads - jennellh

I know about their bulk offer. What I was talking about was some place
that had a boxed set of individualized compartments of all of the
colors of Gutterman. It probably was a promotional item or some such
thing. You could hang it up on the wall or otherwise use it for
storage as well as display it.

John

Old September 27th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 27, 10:06 am, jennellh wrote:
http://www.fabricstodyefor.com/c-390-gutermann.aspx

here's one link to a page full of gutermann thread 'cabinets' chock-a-
block with spools.....enjoy....jennellh

That's the one I saw. thanks. I have ordered it.

John

Old September 27th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

Have you tried this URL? I typed in Gutterman thread and this is what I came
up with:

http://www.redrockthreads.com/guterm...FQqgYgodCiQPRw

Butterfly (having trouble with my mouse today. Maybe I best trade it for a
new one-ohh, it's UNDER Warranty )

"John" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Sep 27, 8:08 am, John wrote:
On Sep 26, 11:11 pm, jennellh wrote: John -
it is Atlanta Thread who do the bulk order price reduction for
same colour threads - jennellh

I know about their bulk offer. What I was talking about was some place
that had a boxed set of individualized compartments of all of the
colors of Gutterman. It probably was a promotional item or some such
thing. You could hang it up on the wall or otherwise use it for
storage as well as display it.

John

I actually found the place that sells that boxed sets of Gutterman;
and the answer is of course "Joann's". I can't find it any other place
so I may make myself another wall hung rack to hold the threads I buy
that wont fit into the one I currently have for small spool thread.

John

Old September 27th 07, 04:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

We still have Woolworth's here in Germany. Not sure who owns it. And there's
not much in it to tempt me.
Roberta in D

"John" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...
On Sep 27, 4:32 am, Patti wrote:
Just a word, John. If you are furious and not going to shop there,
please do tell them.
Don't be like me: I boycotted Woolworth's for twenty years; but it
wasn't a very effective gesture, because I didn't tell anyone gg
.
In message om, John
writes

I just got back from Joann's to buy some patterns and other notions.
One of the things I needed was some Coats and Clark Cotton thread of a
certain color. I couldn't find any of the cotton thread and asked a
sales person what happened to the cotton thread. She said" They came
and pulled all the C & C cotton thread and all they will be carrying
from now on is C & C Dual Duty Polyester covered polyester in 250 yd
spools and some of the same in larger spools. No more Cotton. So not
only do they discontinue the cotton but replace it with poly in a
smaller spool size and charge you more for the spool. Now I know why
it is called the store we love to hate. When I asked about cotton she
said, "I guess you could use Gutterman". I of course know I could use
Gutterman, but I didn't want to pay that premium for that option. I am
mad at them and am swearing off of Joanns.

John

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill

I don't know about that. Woolworths is no longer in existance, so you
must have been effective.

John

Old September 27th 07, 06:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Gutermann Thread Cabinets & Coats&Clark A rude awakening

Howdy!

As Ethel Merman always said,
"The Search Engine is your friend!" ;-)

http://www.craftconn.com/Main.asp?Ta...ry&Category I
d=303&Manufacturer=Gutermann

or http://tinyurl.com/2t29vo

http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/ca...Viewby=Types&P
age=2 or http://tinyurl.com/yocj72

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2...guter_cab.html

http://www.henscratchquilting.com/appliquethread.html

Don't know anything about them, prices are similar to Joann's.

I buy my Gutermann spools at the quilt shops;
Houston Street Mercantile in Granbury
http://www.houstonstmercantile.com/
& Common Threads in Waxahachie
http://www.commonthreadsquilting.com/
carry the full line of Gutermann handquilting threads,
and lovely clerks to help me throughout the stores. ;-P

You know how it is, you go in for some thread, you start looking around
the quilt shop... you look some more... and you leave happy. g

http://www.gutermann.com/Startpage/Guetermann/

Btw, last time I was in HobbyLobby 2 weeks ago I picked up several spools
of Coats&Clark cotton-wrapped poly; they were stocking it then.
And I think I'll head over there in a few minutes to see if they still do.

Good luck!

R/Sandy --can't remember how to find the character switch on the iMac
to make the 2 little dots over the "u" in Gutermann

p.s. John, I'd expect you to make a thread cabinet... my dad did, years ago,
and my mom gave it away ... *&%#)!

On 9/27/07 8:31 AM, in article
, "John"

Old September 27th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

Still here too - though not in the form it used to be when the counters
had divisions in them holding all sorts of exciting things like little
plastic dolls, dolls feeding bottles.etc. Now its just like any other
self service shop with shelving holding things you can get anywhere,
cds, large boxed toys, cheap clothing, etc.
Sally at the Seaside~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk

Old September 27th 07, 09:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Sandy Ellison wrote:

R/Sandy --can't remember how to find the character switch on the iMac
to make the 2 little dots over the "u" in Gutermann

Sandy, just hold down Option-u, then type the letter that it should go
above. IOW, type Option-u + u to get u, Option-u + i to get i, etc. (I
love my Mac -- ease of typing accented characters was one reason I
bought my first Mac 20 years ago or so. G)
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old September 28th 07, 02:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Default Gutermann Thread Cabinets & Coats&Clark

Howdy!

Gütermann-- Cool!

Thanks, Sandy!

R/Sandy--w/ 14 new spools of C&C cotton/poly...
better get some new Gütermann to even things out ;-D

ä ë ï ö ü

On 9/27/07 3:20 PM, in article
, "Sandy"

Old September 28th 07, 05:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Janet of Gar

John,

I work at my local JoAnns. Please keep in mind that Coats and Clark has
changed
their thread, _not_ JoAnns. We can only sell what they send us. I don't
know how
large your store is, but the new threads we got from C&C do include 100%
cotton
threads. Look at the labels on the racks. The C&C display we have includes
the new
poly threads, fine and heavy weight threads, 100% cotton for hand or
machine, and
machine-quilting and hand-quilting threads.

Yep, the prices went up, but so have the prices of milk, gas, and eggs.
Please don't
blame JoAnns. We didn't set those new thread prices, C&C did.

Doing my best to help our customers,
Happy Stitching,
Janet of Gar

ps.com...

Old September 28th 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Sep 28, 12:30 pm, "Janet of Gar"
wrote:
[...]

"John" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

I just have to respond about our local Joanns. It is not one of the
larger stores. They don't stock the cotton in C & C but they do stock
all of the poly stuff. I don't use any poly stuff. So Joanns will not
be getting my business in that regard. I have located a source for
cotton thread online that is cheaper than Joanns even including the
shipping and if you buy in larger quantities they will pay shipping.
The stock of fabrics is quite meager with only small remnants left on
the bolt in a lot of cases. I also think that for quilting purposes,
the fabric quality is not as good as what is available even in the
smaller quilt shops hereabouts. I realize that not everybody can
afford or wants the better grade of fabric but that is what I need,
and want. Most of the staff are nice enough, so I have no complaint
there. The other thing is the way they play their discount coupon
game. They offer 40% off coupons, with exceptions. and those
exceptions are usually the things that I would be interested in. If
it so happens that the coupons coinside with my item needs, then that
is to the good. That is at best, an infrequent experience. I know that
corporate management makes most of the decisions as to what is sold
and how much it will be sold for, so I don't fault the local sales
people in the stores. I guess my feelings are easily summed up by
saying that the shopping experience at Joanns is less that stellar.
And for the amount of money I spend on sewing and quilting I would
like to feel I am getting fair value for my patronage of the vendor. I
don't get that feeling from Joanns. I think you could say that the
time it takes to build up a satisfied customer base is shattered by to
frequent disapointments with the shopping experience. That is just my
opinion and may not reflect others experience.

John