pigment for porcelain

Old April 28th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,sci.materials.ceramics,rec.crafts.pottery
Gregg

Default pigment for porcelain

wrote:
Yes, porcelain enamel. It will coat steel. Local hobby stores would be a
simple solution - thanks.

snip
1200F sounds like a pretty low temperature for steel.
What system are you using?
What type of base coat are you using?
Is your steel pickled or are you using a liberty base coat?

I've been out of the PE field for a while - I was just curious...
Gregg
Old April 28th 07, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,sci.materials.ceramics,rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 04:32:48 GMT, moose hunter
wrote:

if your working to experiment, use 6 table spoons of milk of magnisia,
with 1/4 teaspoon of borax and 4 table spoons of gum arabic into a cup
of water... this will fire stain porceline a bare off white tan colour,
much like old bone, test this, i get very unpredictable results using
non-standard chemicals..

pepto bismol is a good bismuth (nrown-purple) source and some antiacid
tablers make for good opaquing / whitener sources (a couple of brands
are nothing but pressed kaolin and flavoring)

I think you meant to say calcium carbonate, not kaolin.

I wouldn't expect kaolin to have any antacid activity.
(Nor any particular whitening ability). The standard antacid tablets
I am familar with are calcium carbonate (Tums, etc). It's the
carbonate that provides the antacid effect, by reacting with the acid
to form carbon dioxide (like those vinegar and baking soda
demonstrations from grade school).

Potters know calcium carbonate as whiting. But don't
try eating whiting as an antacid. Pharmaceutical grade
calcium carbonate is low in lead, which is a contaminant
in most other calcium carbonate sources. Last I heard,
most of the antacid grade came from one particular
quarry in Mexico.

Best regards,

Bob Masta

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Signal Generator
Science with your sound card!
Old May 7th 07, 07:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry,sci.materials.ceramics,rec.crafts.pottery
moose hunter

In article ,
says...
wrote:

[...]

not to be picky, heres a report for the medical use of kaolin for the
treatmetn of colic

Kaolin and Morphine
This is a popular remedy because of its reputation, however it has now
been vastly improved upon by medicines like Loperamide. It is available
in liquid and tablet form. The kaolin absorbs anything in the bowel that
may be the cause of the diarrhoea while the morphine relaxes the bowel
muscles and slows down bowelw movements.
If you use this product remember to keep drinking plenty of fluids.
Also, if you use the mixture shake the bottle well.

from:

http://www.pharmweb.net/pwmirror/pwz...ns/gastin.html

cone 6 porcelain Red Deer Pottery 1 April 9th 07 03:51 PM
Pigment Powder and Polymer Clay k9trainer1417 Polymer Clay 2 April 5th 07 01:32 PM
new to porcelain Deborah M Riel Pottery 14 April 21st 04 08:45 PM
Acrylic Paint - Metallics & Pigment Powders questions Rob Pierce General Crafting 2 April 12th 04 11:07 PM
What is "dry artist's pigment of fresco"?????? Edward Reeves General Crafting 1 October 16th 03 02:25 PM