Bead Stores in NYC

Old July 3rd 04, 01:01 PM
Cindy

Default Bead Stores in NYC

Hello Beaders!

I'm visiting NYC for the weekend and I'm looking for bead stores. Any
suggestions? Anywhere in the 5 boro's will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Cindy
Old July 3rd 04, 01:33 PM
ellen

Here are four places that I go to, all within a few blocks of each other.
They're are normally open on Sunday, but I don't know about this weekend
(July 4):

1. Beadsworld - Broadway/38th St. 212-302-1199

2. NY Beads - 6th Avenue 38-39th St. 212-382-2994

3. Toho Shoji - 6th Avenue/36-37th St. 212-868-7465

4. MJ Trim (betw. Toho Shoji and NY Beads - they sell trimming and buttons
but also some Czech beads and Swarovski - there are two locations on the
block) 212-842-5000

ALSO: If you are interested in tools, findings, wire, then a great place is
Metailliferous, 34 W. 46th (betw. 5-6th Ave., 2d floor). When I was there
about 2 months ago they had a lot of nice vintage Swarovski rhinestone chain
at less than $2/foot. I don't know their summer hours - if they are open
Saturday - 212-944-0909

m...

Old July 3rd 04, 03:39 PM
roxan

There are all on 37th and 38th. street. You will have little trouble finding
them in the garment distract.
Roxan

Old July 3rd 04, 04:40 PM
Karen_AZ

Also York Novelty (Czech bead importers) at 10 W. 37th St. (Set an
allowance, lock up your credit cards!!!)

http://www.yorkbeads.com/

And not quite beads, but sort of, for some cool beaded eye candy check out
Tinsel Trading Company at 47 W. 38th St. They have the coolest trim, some of
it very vintage.

http://www.tinseltrading.com/

KarenK

Old July 3rd 04, 05:40 PM
lgreene

Actually, having lived in NY for a number of years, they are not all on 37th
and 38th. Some of the best are on Broadway, around 20-23rd street. There
is a shop called Designer Gems down there that has great prices and offers
30% off if your purchase is $200 or more. You then get a card that's good
for a year that gives you 30% off any purchase. There are also a ton of
other suppliers there.

Old July 3rd 04, 06:03 PM
Beadseeker

If you have a wholesale license, Phoenix Beads at 5 W. 37th Street (betw. 5th
and 6th) is great! 212-278-8658 Minimum is $60.00. They have terrific shaped
bead strands, unusual stuff especially in carnelian, turquoise, coral, pearls
and Czech crystals. You can check out their website www.phoenixbeads.com.
Next door to them is Gampel Supply, good for findings and tools.. You don't
need a wholesale license to shop there.
Patti
Old July 4th 04, 01:32 AM
roxan

I buy in bulk and at wholesale prices from many on 37th. and 38th. street,
but it is good to know of others with good prices.
Roxan

Old July 4th 04, 02:24 AM
lgreene

the "wholesale" prices on 37th etc are very high.

Korea town has exceptional, real wholesale prices.

news

Old July 4th 04, 06:53 AM
Karen Chan

I think I actually made it to all of those places back in February! I
spotted one of the stores in the cab going to the hotel and my honey was
so sweet he went with me the next day to a bunch of bead and trim stores
in that area. He didn't even take me up on the beer I offered him for
being so sweet (and I HATE beer, so my offering to pay for one is
actually a bigger deal than it sounds like! ) I wish I'd known about
Metailliferous, tho', since I'm in a wire phase with my beading.

The stores were very cool -- lots of variety between them. One weird
thing that happened, was that I was searching for charms in the shape of
the planet Saturn, and when I asked a gal in one of the stores if they
carried them, she said "what is Saturn?" Ay!

Karen