Preserving fresh vegetable matter?

Old September 3rd 04, 07:10 AM
David Prokopetz

Default Preserving fresh vegetable matter?

Hi.

I have a project incorporating fresh vegetable matter that I need to
preserve for long-term display; any recommendations as to how I might go
about it? I've been advised that a light coating of hairspray will do the
trick for short-term preservation, but I need something with a little more
durability.

(If it matters, the vegetable matter in question is whole carrots, mostly.)

Thanks,

- David Prokopetz.

Old September 17th 04, 10:32 PM
\Mad\

David Prokopetz wrote in message
I have a project incorporating fresh vegetable matter that I need to
preserve for long-term display; any recommendations as to how I might go
about it? I've been advised that a light coating of hairspray will do the
trick for short-term preservation, but I need something with a little more
durability.

(If it matters, the vegetable matter in question is whole carrots,

mostly.)

Glycerine (glycerin, glycerol, ...) has been used for a long time
to replace the water in leaves or cut flowers in order to preserve
them. For example, from near the end of
http://www.fact-index.com/g/gl/glycerine.html
(title _Glycerine_)
- - - - begin quote - - - -
A way to preserve the leaves is to submerge them in
a solution of glycerin and water.

Use a mixture of one part glycerin to two parts water. Place the
mixture in a flat pan, and totally submerge the leaves in a single
layer in the liquid. You'll have to weight them down to keep them
submerged. In two to six days, they should have absorbed the
liquid and be soft and pliable. Remove them from the pan and
wipe off all the liquid with a soft cloth. Done correctly, the leaves
will remain soft and pliable indefinitely.

- - - - end quote - - - -

Since you want to do whole carrots, they'll probably take longer
to absorb the glycerine (which probably has to diffuse in thru the
pores). I'm not sure whether it displaces some of the water in
the vegetable matter, or maybe it just 'clings' to the water
molecules to keep the vegetable matter from drying out. I hear
it preserves the flexibility and color, but results in an "oily" feel.

There was someone who supposedly perfected a similar process,
I think involving a vacuum chamber and liquid plastic, that did not
result in the oily feel, but I don't know even the name of the person
or process.

For what it's worth, glycerine is apparently non-toxic, odorless,
and sweet-tasting, and is available in a food grade (level of purity,
I think). . . . oh, maybe look here for information on the grades,
"glycerine USP" and "food grade glycerine".

Aloha,
--
"Mad" (not angry, just strange)
Lansing, Michigan