Vincenzo Taormina - Stainless Steel Jewelry

Old May 19th 07, 02:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Default Vincenzo Taormina - Stainless Steel Jewelry

Taormina Studio wrote:

This is not true!

I just received a ring back from a client, that was made in 303
stainless. t turns out, that she has developed a severe allergic
reaction to the nickel in the stainless steel. will be making the
same ring for her in Platinum instead.

Abrashahttp://www.abrasha.com

Good Job Abrasha,
That's what I call Great Selling Skills.

From Steel to Platinum That's great turn around.

Vincenzo Taormina
http://www.vincenzotaormina.net

That was a rather boorish remark, it was not "Great Selling Skills". It
was about getting the client what she wants, not what I wanted to sell
her. In fact, I'm probably the worst salesman on the planet.

I advised her to get Titanium or 416 Stainless, but she preferred Platinum.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old May 19th 07, 09:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Marilee J. Layman

On Fri, 18 May 2007 15:42:21 GMT, GEARLOOSE
wrote:

You are right when you say:
"316 stainlees has between 10 and 14% nickel in its alloying
constituents"
but DESPITE this, it is ALLERGY-SAFE.

This is not true!

I just received a ring back from a client, that was made in 303
stainless. It turns out, that she has developed a severe allergic
reaction to the nickel in the stainless steel. I will be making the
same ring for her in Platinum instead.

For decades, my Day Job was in Biomaterials. I have seen explanted
Type 316 spinal components, (long ago before titanium). Some people
are sensitive to nickel, and their body's defenses are able to chelate
it. The resulting pieces appeared as if they were acid etched.
Type 416 has no nickel, just iron and chromium. It is magnetic, but
very easy to machine, and takes a good polish.

Huh. When the plates/screws/pins in my ankle had to come out they
were like that. The doctors just told me my body rejected them.

Good thing I mostly wear glass jewelry.

_________________________________________________ ______
Definition: A wrought martensitic stainless steel that is high in
strength, as are the other stainless steels in this category. It is
nickel-free, has 0.15% carbon, 12-14% chromium, and, for increased
machinability, has extra amounts of sulfur or sulfur, phosphorus, and
selenium.
(Synonyms: type 416 stainless steel)

Here is a biomedical grade Ni-Free stainless:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

--
Marilee J. Layman
http://mjlayman.livejournal.com