how to clean silver with yellow tinge

Old May 15th 07, 03:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default how to clean silver with yellow tinge

I have a nacklace (not made by myself but from Lapponia :
http://www.lapponia.com/korut/hopea/kaulakorut/663017 )
I have bought this 5 years ago and it has a slight yellow tinge.
I am reluctant to clean it with sulfuric acid (which I normally do
with own made silver jewelry) so I cleaned it with a concentrated shda
ash (Na2CO3) solution and some dirt got off the necklace, but it still
has the yellowish tinge.

Any ideas how to clean it ?

Thanks.

Old May 15th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 15 May 2007 07:42:14 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
wrote:

I have a nacklace (not made by myself but from Lapponia :
http://www.lapponia.com/korut/hopea/kaulakorut/663017 )
I have bought this 5 years ago and it has a slight yellow tinge.
I am reluctant to clean it with sulfuric acid (which I normally do
with own made silver jewelry) so I cleaned it with a concentrated shda
ash (Na2CO3) solution and some dirt got off the necklace, but it still
has the yellowish tinge.

Any ideas how to clean it ?

Thanks.

Try this simple method. It will remove light tarnish from sterling silver.

Take some of your soda ash (since you've already got it, and it works about as
well as other agents you could do this with), and dissolve it in hot water.

Put this into a glass or plastic container, and put a piece of ordinary aluminum
foil in the bottom. Or you could use an aluminum container, so long as it is
plain aluminum, not anodized or coated.

Put the silver in the solution on top of the aluminum foil, or in the aluminum
container.

The contact between the aluminum and silver, within the solution, creates a mild
electrolytic cell, which will remove the sulphide tarnish. After this, rub
lightly with any decent silver polish to restore the brightness of the metal.

This will only work if your necklace is not coated with some sort of lacquer,
and if it is silver, rather than just silver colored (some other metal).

If the piece is a simple shape that you can easily reach with a cloth, rather
than things like chains, you may be able to remove much of the tarnish just by
lightly polishing it with any decent silver polish (often found in the grocery
or hardware store), or with a paste of baking soda and water. But the
electrolytic method mentioned above is better at getting down into details and
recesses.

Peter
Old May 16th 07, 02:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

http://www.centercoin.com/jewelry_su...ry_cleaner.htm

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com

The difference between Tibetan silver vs. Sterling silver ? bk51atwork Jewelry 4 March 26th 08 08:19 AM
Mellow Yellow desert quilter Quilting 41 June 5th 06 07:29 PM
AD: Silver Clean OUt.... Nicole @ Black Cat Beads Beads 2 September 3rd 05 10:38 PM
Yellow star Debbie B Beads 1 February 5th 04 11:16 AM