Pennsylvania Quilts

Old October 14th 05, 10:51 PM
Mickie

Gosh, how nice to have a celebrity post here!! ;o) ;o) ;o)
It was nice to see you finally (your website only has a
drawing of a wizzard). I only joined the group in late 1998,
and your posts were already few and far between.
They did show your internet quilt, and the remarks that block
contributors were from several different countries around the
world. I don't recall mention of r.c.t.q. if they did I missed
it. I hope you get to see it soon, I think you did great!
Mickie

Old October 15th 05, 09:54 AM
Roberta Zollner

Hi Mike! (Waving madly from Germany) So good to hear from you -we don't
always talk about absent friends (that would be rude), but we think about
them.
I was wondering if the migraines have been decreasing over the years since
the surgery, or have remained the same?
Roberta in D (used to be DK, but we moved)

"Magic Mike" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Hi All, Yes, it has been a while! Since I wasn't really feeling up to a
trip to Pittsburgh to do a segment for the PA Quilts Show, I had an
opportunity to have the camera crew make a house call! I figured I would
take advantage of this chance with the idea that possibly some PA
businesses might see the show and realize that what they consider scraps
might be very useful to quilters. Maybe we can get some to donate their
scraps if we are lucky.

Anyway, we set up a date and time with the knowledge that if I had a
migraine we would have to reschedule. Luckily, everything worked out and
I got through the filming without a migraine. (:-) These were a great
group of people to work with and we even went out to lunch afterward since
I was having a great day.

The only problem is that I never got to see the finished product since I
don't get WQED locally. I see they may show it at later dates in other
parts of the state but don't think I can pick up any of those stations
either. (:-)

If you are in PA or can pick up WQED, you may still get a chance to see
it. Here is the upcoming schedule. If anyone can burn a copy to DVD or
tape it on a VHS tape I would love to see it, I think!!!! (:-)

Local airdates:
THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 8 PM
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 15, 1 AM
SUNDAY, OCTOBER 15, 5 PM
statewide airdates:
WQLN [Erie]
Thursday, October 20, 9 p.m.
WITF [Harrisburg]
hopefully sometime in Dec. 2005
WHYY [Philly]
Thursday, November 24, 5 p.m. (thanksgiving)
WLVT [Bethlehem]
Sunday, November 6, 3 p.m.

I don't see any mention of the Wilkes Barre, Scranton area PBS channel 44
carrying the show so I may not see it.

I am trying to see if I can get a copy of the show from WQED so I can see
how it looked when finished, not sure I want to see it though. (:-) I did
try to throw in a plug for the rec.crafts.textiles.quilting group a few
times but not sure if it made it in or not. I figured you can always use
more quilters on the group. (:-) I hope they included the Magic Mike
Internet Quilt that was made for me.

I'm not really on my deathbed but do get a lot of migraines but I don't
complain because without my brain surgery I would be death. I still tell
everyone I think all the prayers from everyone in the group helped me make
it through as well as I did.

I keep saying I should update my website because when I moved it to
another hosting company a lot of the links aren't working so if I get some
time I should try to fix that up. I had links to a lot of this group's
projects, etc. and like to give everyone credit when I can so I hope to
get off my butt and get it done. (:-)

Other than the migraines things have been fairly good. My kids are
starting to leave the nest with 2 out on their own and two currently in
college. My wife is counting down the years until she can retire. As
mentioned in the show, I don't really have access to much fabric any more
and my back really isn't up to the physical aspect of packing and sending
out boxes anymore anyway so I haven't really been doing that lately. I may
have one final shipment some time soon and go out with one final bang.

Just wanted to stop by and say "HI!" and to let everyone know I still
think of the group a lot and it often comes up in my conversations
locally.

Take care and stay safe, warm and healthy.

Magic Mike

Website at nepanetwork.com/magicmike

"Mickie" wrote in message
oups.com...
The Pittsburgh area PBS station aired an hour-long commercial-free
special program tonight about quilts in Pennsylvania. There were
interviews of our "Magic Mike" Lizonitz and Jennifer Chiaverini, among
other Pennsylvanians, including the Amish from Lancaster PA. Also
shown were Shaun Quinlan, local renowned fiber artist (who used to post
here ages ago), and fellow guild member, Sandra German, an accomplished
quilter who also collects sewing machines, (currently 402 and
counting...). Very well done program, so successful in demonstrating
the goodwill and camaraderie of quilters from all walks of life - I
wish I could broadcast it world-wide!
There's a really nice writeup about the program at the station's
website:
http://www.wqed.org/tv/specials/quilts/index.shtml
Mickie

Old October 15th 05, 10:10 AM
Tutu Haynes-Smart

Great to hear from you Mike - it's been quite a while.
Hope you keep the migraines within bounds and stay well.
Cheers for now
Tutu
Cape Town, South Africa
"Magic Mike" wrote in message
Same here, I sometimes look through some old email I have printed out and
wonder how everyone is doing. They bring back some good memories.

Old October 15th 05, 08:48 PM
Magic Mike

Default Pennsylvania Quilts HI FROM MAGIC MIKE

Hi Mickie, I talked to the people at WQED and they said they just haven't
snet them out for duplication yet but they will send me a copy when they get
them done. I just don't know how long that might take. (:-) Not sure about
showing it on the site. Have to see if they will care. Of course, since I
am in it, fair use mightcome into play especially since it isn't a for
profit thing.

Mike

"Mickie" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is an advert at the site offering a CD of the program for $19.95
http://www.wqed.org/tv/specials/quilts/index.shtml
(scroll all the way down to see a CD icon and clidk on it)
though it seems to me since you were a feature on the program, Mike,
you should have been sent a complimentary copy....
And since a CD is available for purchase, there are no doubt some
copywrite issues that would nix you showing it on your website. ;o(
Mickie

Old October 15th 05, 08:49 PM
Magic Mike

Hi Tutu, I make the most of all my good days and hibernate duringhte bad
ones. (:-)

Magic Mike

Old October 15th 05, 08:53 PM
Magic Mike

Hi Roberta, hope all is well across the big pond! The migraines are pretty
much the same right now. I get a few a week sometimes and other times I
might only get one but it last for a few days. Everyone leaves me alone
when I have one and then we make up for lost time when I feel good. I
figure things could have gone so much worse I just take these in stride and
know that I am much better off than I could be.

It's good to see some of the familiar names from nearly 10 years ago. Wow,
has it been that long since I first started posting here. How time flies.

Old October 16th 05, 05:20 AM
Donna in Idaho

Magic Mike,

It's sure good to see you posting again - long time no see/hear. Glad you
have some good days.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 16th 05, 12:49 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

Default Pennsylvania Quilts - Magic Mike & Scraps

I made a contact at DGDs soccer game yesterday. The coach works for Levi in
Fayetteville. She is going to bring me some denim scraps. I told her I
would take all she could bring. I plan to make quilts for the local animal
shelter. Nothing fancy - just squares.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Mickie" wrote in message
ups.com...
Magic Mike mentioned in the program yesterday that there are no more
scraps, as the source has discontinued operations in his area. ;o(
Are there any more clothing manufacturers left in USA? We should find
out and try to re-initiate a similar program.....
Mike also said the benign brain tumor that he had removed in 1997 has
left him with severe migranes that interfere greatly with his day to
day life. It was good to see him alive and looking well, and he
appears to be enjoying life in spite of his ails!
Mickie

Old October 16th 05, 12:51 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

I buy fleece scrap packs from Hancocks and just emptied my stash bin of
fleece pieces making throws for the Katrina survivors at our local Siloam
Springs, AR Church Camp.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Roberta Zollner" wrote in message
Mike's scraps were mixed. He just took what was there and sent to anybody
who wanted it, with no content guarantee.

Isn't polar fleece still manufactured in the US? Not really quilting
fabric, although it makes nice backs. But I pieced some fleece scraps
together to make kids' lovey blankets, using a machine feather stitch and
butting edges. They went together very easily and didn't take too long.
Roberta in D

"Phyllis Nilsson" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
Were these scraps 100% cotton? We bought about 30# from Hice
(manufacturers of scrubs, etc) that were blends, some pretty large
pieces. I've used some of them already and they worked out nicely. Now
if someone could "encourage" them to donate their scraps instead of
selling all of them, that would be nice.

Old October 17th 05, 09:51 PM
Magic Mike

Hey Donna, feels great to see some of the old names again too. Checking out
the group is a double edged sword. It brings back great memories but it also
makes me want to keep tons of scraps out of the landfills too.

Sometimes when I go for medical tests, etc. I see the people wearing tops
and warm up jackets with some great kids prints, etc. and it makes me wish I
still had access to great fabric like that. I just think of all the great
things that those "USELESS" scraps were made into and it drives me crazy
that more places won't recylce their scraps to people who can use them.

Time is usually the main thing keeping me away. (:-) When I have a bad
series of migraines I get way behind on everything so then I have to play
catch up so I have to make the most of the good days. When I start to play
around on the group here and other places on the net, I can spend a few
hours before I even know it. (:-)

I do try to keep an eye on the group from time to time even if I don't post.
It is nice to see what is going on with everyone.

Take care.

Magic Mike