New Zealand Shops

Old January 14th 04, 12:14 PM
AZ XSer

Default New Zealand Shops

I usually just lurk here but would like some info from some of you out there.
My DH & I are going to New Zealand for 3 weeks in May. We will be driving all
around both islands, hitting all the major cities and smallers ones as well.
What I'd like to know is if there are any must-see needlework shops that I
can't miss. I do have a list of yarn shops already but I'd also like to hit
some of the others as well. Many thanks in advance.

Bette
Phoenix, AZ
Old January 14th 04, 09:29 PM
Janet M. Davies

What I'd like to know is if there are any must-see needlework shops that Bette
Phoenix, AZ

Hi Bette,

There is 'The Embroiderer' in Auckland and 'Nacy's' in Wellington,
plus many others around the country. If you see the links page in my
website http://www.jmddesigns.co.nz there are some other places as
well. You are welcome to visit my studio also. Email if you like.

Design a stitching good day,
Janet
http://www.jmddesigns.co.nz
http://www.masterstitch.co.uk

Get the JMD Newsletter:
Old January 15th 04, 02:44 AM
Lesley Isaac

Hi Bette

We are having the hottest summer so hope it continues for your trip in May.

I live in Christchurch and would recommend Broomfields in Merivale on Papanui Road - pretty central so shouldn't be too far from where you are staying. Also a wee shop called Treasured Times in Rutland Street can have some surprises and owner does some lovely over dyed threads. Right in the centre of town is Ballantynes Department Store and their basement craft area is also well worth a look with some nice New Zealandy charts etc for souvenirs to take home. Our Guild president Diane Wilson works in Ballantynes and she is very knowledgeable/helpful.

If you are in Christchurch over a weekend please go to the Arts Centre and visit the artists at work building to see Marilyn Rea Menzies at the Tapestry Workshop - she is amazing. There are lots of wonderful shops in the Arts Centre that are open 7 days but if you can go at the weekend there is an outside market will buskers etc as well.

My favourite shop in the whole of New Zealand is Nancy's in Wellington http://www.nancys.co.nz/ I have at least one yearly trip to see my best mate Ruth who lives there and I am like a child in a candy shop!

There is also Needlecraft in Palmerston North that may be on your route - I haven't been there but they have a thriving mail order business so must be huge!

Right down the bottom of the South Island is a little place called Owaka that has a lovely shop esp NZ patchwork fabrics etc. It is near the beautiful Caitlin Coast so you may pass through.

Anyway enough waffle - have a WONDERFUL time.

Rgds