Mini LNS Rant

Old January 3rd 04, 02:46 PM
Dannielle Beitzell

Default Mini LNS Rant

That's what I call a true addict! Fred - it's all about rotation!

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

"Fred" wrote in message
There is something that I just have to get off my widdow chest. Yesterday

ran out of black perle cotton (hate the stuff but that's another story).
Anyway we are in the middle of a pretty nasty winter storm. -25º, 30 to 40
mph winds and loads of snow. I called an LNS where I have left mucho bucks
in the past to fine out how long she would be open. She tells me 3 more
hours. I say no problem it is only about 6 miles and that I would be there
within the hour. She tells me that the roads are blocked.

Not to be fouled by mother nature I got a "brilliant" idea. I asked her if
she could take a 2 skeins of black #3 and walk a few hundred feet down the
street from her store to a pizza place that boasts free delivery within a
half hour. Buy me a medium pizza with cheese and pineapple topping. Have

the
pizza place deliver the pizza and the skeins of perle cotton to my

address.
She said no, that one couldn't see 50 feet in the storm. Soooooo I tell

her
that I'm going to attempt the drive.

After a couple of attempts I finally get out of the drive way. Snow is

about
1 foot deep but manageable. As I pull away from the house I notice my DW
shaking her head. I hadn't noticed but she must have washed her hair

because
she often shakes her head shortly after - fluffs it up I guess. Anyhooo
after about an hour groping my way through the storm I finally get to the
LNS. Ha, she must have just washed her hair also because she is shaking

her
head as I walked in.

I get out my wallet to pay for the 2 skeins - aaaaarrrrgggggggg!!!! She
tells me that she only has 1 skein left. I quietly pay for it and leave -
I'm shaking my head and I haven't even washed my hair. The storm was

getting
worse but I eventually get home and have a wee tussle getting into the

drive
way because the snow is now over 1-1/2 feet deep in most spots.

Total elapsed time for !!!ONE!!! bloody - er- black skein of perle

cotton -
3 flaming hours. Me thinks the LNS owner could have told me that she only
had 1 skein. I "might" have waited until the weather cleared which is
supposed to happen later this morning. Yup! I've already used up that

skein
and now I have to wait till another LNS opens and that could be 7 hours

from
now. There is over 2 feet of snow in the drive way which will have to be
cleared before I can get out again.

Now I have another reason to hate bloody - er - black perle cotton, can't
even get the stuff when one risks life and limb.

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

Old January 4th 04, 07:23 AM
Fred

Hi Norma,
Now for the epologue,
Yesterday morning my DW gives me a lesson in central cost accounting finger
style....
Thumb - At least 3 hours of my time wasted. Now that is debateable!
Finger - 1. Cost of at least 3 gallons of gas.
Finger - 2. Cost of at least 3 hours depreciation of the vehicle.
Finger - 3. Cost of at least 3 hours wear and tear on the motor and
transmission of the vehicle.
Finger - 4. Cost of at least 3 hours wear and tear on the tires.

Thumb - $2.40 plus tax for one skein of perle cotton.
Finger - 1. I forgot to get a pizza.
Finger - 2. Dead silence!

The good news is that the storm blew itself out yesterday morning and I
walked 1/2 mile to another LNS and got the other skein that I needed while
everyone else around here shovelled out the three trucks stuck in the
driveway. The road to that fabric emporium was blocked the night before and
I wasn't about to walk that far in the storm.

Come spring we will all just consider it a minor bump in the road of life
although my DW tends to remind me of the bumps from time to time. Geeeesh
some of those bumps where 40+ years ago. LOL

Old January 4th 04, 07:46 PM
Brenda Lewis

Your DW must truly love you. You forgot to get a pizza and you are
still alive?!? You do take the biscuit, Fred!

My friend who used to deliver pizzas told me she expected to receive
tips of $20 and up (each) when making deliveries during a blizzard. If
you had remembered the pizza, you could tell your wife you got off cheap...

Fred wrote:
Hi Norma,
Now for the epologue,
Yesterday morning my DW gives me a lesson in central cost accounting finger
style....
Thumb - At least 3 hours of my time wasted. Now that is debateable!
Finger - 1. Cost of at least 3 gallons of gas.
Finger - 2. Cost of at least 3 hours depreciation of the vehicle.
Finger - 3. Cost of at least 3 hours wear and tear on the motor and
transmission of the vehicle.
Finger - 4. Cost of at least 3 hours wear and tear on the tires.

Thumb - $2.40 plus tax for one skein of perle cotton.
Finger - 1. I forgot to get a pizza.
Finger - 2. Dead silence!

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 5th 04, 12:06 AM
Liz Hampton

The good news is that the storm blew itself out yesterday morning and I
walked 1/2 mile to another LNS and got the other skein that I needed while
everyone else around here shovelled out the three trucks stuck in the
driveway. The road to that fabric emporium was blocked the night before and
I wasn't about to walk that far in the storm.

Fred

Sheesh!!! If I had an LNS 1/2 mile away, I would have made some snowshoes
to get there! :-))) Our mailbox alone is 1/2 mile away, with a 200 foot
climb in 1/4 mile to deal with. :-))))) I've considered sliding down the
last 1/4 mile on an innertube or something (on our whole 3 inches of snow) ,
but it would be way too embarrassing to have to explain if I got hurt. :-)))
Not complaining, mind you, we love living out here in the sticks, just
chuckling over not wanting to go 1/2 mile to an LNS. It must be some wicked
1/2 mile if you were willing to drive the other direction to the other
store. :-))))))
Liz from Humbug

Old January 5th 04, 02:08 AM
norma woods

What a wonderful story, Fred! LOL I've really enjoyed your style of writing.
Hope you keep up with your writing. ;-)

--
Star love,
Norma

Old January 5th 04, 05:43 AM
Fred

I should add a ps to the story?? OK, I take my 2 skeins of perle cotton and
put them in my stash cupboard right beside the o.............

The remainder let's just blame on writers block since this isn't a
confessional booth. LOL

Fred
http://www.stitchaway.com

If you are on thin ice
you might as well dance!

W.I.P. - "Fiddler on the Roof".
W.I.L., "Romantic Venice",
"Ocean Princess", "Southwest Charm",
"Rainbow Trail", "Indian Pottery", "One Earth",
"Spirit of the Full Moon"
and "+?", "+?", "+?".

.. .

Old January 5th 04, 05:52 AM
Fred

"Brenda Lewis" wrote in message
Your DW must truly love you. You forgot to get a pizza and you are
still alive?!? You do take the biscuit, Fred!

My friend who used to deliver pizzas told me she expected to receive
tips of $20 and up (each) when making deliveries during a blizzard. If
you had remembered the pizza, you could tell your wife you got off

cheap...

When one suddenly comes on snow drifts that are over 18" deep without a 4x4
one justs mutters a few hail marthas, closes one's eyes and hopes for devine
deliverance. Pizza is the last thing on one's mind.LOL

$20 tip for delivering a pizza - geeeeeeeesh - I'm in the wrong business.

Old January 5th 04, 08:04 AM
Brenda Lewis

Au contraire! It would have taken my old car so long to make such a
trip that I would be starving and in desperate need of a bathroom by the
time I got to the shop. It is {gasp, shock, horror} entirely possible I
would remember the pizza and forget to pick up the perle.

Not really an outrageous tip considering you are risking your life and
your vehicle in those conditions. OTOH, she sure liked bringing home
$600 cash for a night's work and it was a job she could tell her mother
about!

Old January 5th 04, 07:36 PM
Anne Tuchscherer

I just have one question. What are you stitching that you were able to
use an entire skein of perle floss in one day? Even when I spend an
entire day stitching hardanger I think I would be hard pressed to use
that much floss. I think it's a good thing I don't live as close to my
LNS as you live to yours otherwise I would have a whole lot more stash.
It's bad enough that I can arrange my drive home from work to go right
past my LNS and not have to go out of my way.

Anne (in Ellicott City, MD)

mini torch local exhaust ventilation [email protected] Jewelry 1 January 31st 05 01:43 AM
Mini Cole Jaws Chuck Doll Houses 4 March 14th 04 07:19 AM
OT - mini rant Cheryl Isaak Needlework 18 December 5th 03 03:13 PM
OT ~ question??? (rant enclosed) Mj Beads 11 August 26th 03 06:07 PM