fabric amounts for quilts

Old October 20th 11, 12:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate T.

Default fabric amounts for quilts

I was cleaning my quilt room today and was looking at some back issues
of quilt mags and I remembered seeing this mag. So I went to my
library and got it out. Sure enough the figures you gave for the
fabrics is what's printed. And yes it calls for 62.75 yards total for
a king size quilt. The 14 yards of backing fabric is figured on the 42
inch wide fabric, not the large backing fabrics you can buy these
days. The quilt is paper pieced so you can take it from there as to
the high total for fabric. It also mentioned fussy cutting.

Beautiful quilt but...... expensive. I'm guessing around $1000.00 in
fabric, thread, paper for piecing 18 inch blocks, batting and rotary
blades.

Oh my!!!!!!

Kate T. South Mississippi

Old October 20th 11, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Howdy!

Does seem like rather a lot of fabric, huh?
Not that I'm opposed to More Fabric. Remember when new quilters would
often come here to ask "How much fabric do I need for..."? Yeah, & we'd
say, "Get at least 15 yards!" no matter what the project. g

Here's a link to that magazine page:
http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/newt...php?startid=77

It mentions fussy cutting; maybe that's where all the extra comes in;
fussy cutting for a Mariner's Compass can be extravagant.

Checking some of the photos of this quilt as Finished: doesn't anyone
try something besides purple & gold? or the combo suggested on that page?
Imagination, anyone? g

62.75 yds for one quilt: I'll pass.
Please show us pics of yours when Finished, Taria.
;-)

Ragmop/Sandy - just back from ordering the latest fat quarter variety-pak
from Keepsake:
http://www.keepsakequilting.com/productdetail/5719.htm

On 10/19/11 11:50 AM, in article , "Taria"
wrote:

I got the calculator out and got 62 again. It is a lot either way.
I think if I did buy the fabric for this I would probably get more
than one quilt. I usually do scrappy out of the stash so I'll have
to sit down and do up a bit of the pattern.

I am so glad you are feeling up to posting and back with us!
We missed you.
Taria

"NightMist" wrote in message

On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:54:39 -0700, Taria wrote:

So I come across a neat quilt in Fons and Porter's magazine (sept./oct.
2008) It is called Mariner's in a Pickle. It could work for what I want
to do. Under the materials list is 2-3/4 yds of 17 prints. 2 yds. for
binding and 14 yards for backing. That comes to a whopping 62-3/4
yards. My question is how much fabric would you
guess is an average for a king size quilt? This number seems kind of
crazy. Taria

Old October 20th 11, 05:49 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

Very pretty design to look at as eye candy but not one I will be doing
any time in the foreseeable future! Seems like a LOT of fabric!

Claudia
Old October 20th 11, 12:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nann

I won't dispute everyone who's made the calculations, BUT: are you
planning to buy ALL new fabric for this quilt?
If you have most of it in your stash already, does it matter if the
top requires 52 or 62 yards?
And you can make a pieced back.

You could challenge yourself to make the entire quilt from your stash
and justifiably dine out on that accomplishment for a long time.

Nann
in blustery northeasternmost Illinois

Old October 20th 11, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

I've been watching this thread. Good gracious. It overwhelms me. Just
choosing 17 prints is staggering but I'm up for that part. Polly

Old October 20th 11, 03:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

That is what I usually do Nann. 17 pieces 2-3/4 yard is probably pushing it
for my stash.
Breaking it down even 'stashier' than that would be a challenge maybe beyond
me!
Taria

Old October 20th 11, 03:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Well, I don't think I ever did anything in purple and gold. I can't imagine
where I would put anything purple and gold. Mom did our room up as
kids in lavender and that is the end of anything in the purple family
for me. I'll share if I get brave enough to jump in on this quilt.
Taria

Old October 20th 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterfly-Wings

I have a lot of FQ's....decide on color themes and I'd be happy to help you
with it. Just HOLLER loud enuf so I can hear

Butterfly (who got the _fall_ Keepsake special and was quite disappointed.
Mainly SUMMER fabrics and 10 diff colorways of same design. Last one I got a
few years back was so much better.And I saved for 12 months to be able to
afford it.)

Old October 20th 11, 09:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy E

Default Keepsake FQ special fabric amounts for quilts

Howdy!

LOL!

But, B-fly, that's the point!
The write-up sez, "last season's patterns and colors."

Just think one-step-back:
The Fall collection has their LEFT-OVER-from-Summer fabrics. Winter will
give you the Fall collection. Spring sends the Winter/Holidays fat quarters;
and so it goes. I love it.
Fresh fabric, this year's crop, and all from name brand design lines.
Comes out to $4 per yard, & with most new fabrics hitting the market at $10+
per yard, I'm loving this bargain. There are a few fabrics I would not
necessarily have chosen, but no good fabric goes to waste. Like the 6.5"
squares in the Baseball Swap, it's a new-to-me variety. And it is good. ;-

B-fly, do you need fall colors? Lemme' know; I have a few in stock.... 8-

Cheers!

Ragmop/Sandy