Quilting Now?

Old August 23rd 10, 04:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pati, in Phx

Default Quilting Now?

Let's see.....
Shop samples for the store where I do most of my teaching. New owner =
changes and new samples needed of new patterns/fabrics. (I have also
acquired a part time "job"-- paid in store credit G there. Spent
most of a week starting the organizing and sorting of the pattern
section. It will be a work in progress for a while, but much better
than it was.)
So I am doing a bit of work with Texture Magic, will need to get some
photos and a place to put them up.
Also trying to finish some class samples (Meet the Teacher and "Demo
Derby" are on the 1st of Sept. New Owner Celebration is the 9th.)
One of the shop samples is a redwork small quilt. But it is done with
one strand of floss........... tiny stitches needed for the tiny
curves in it. sigh. But it is getting there.

Should be in the sewing room now, but needed to wake up and check in
first.

Pati, in Phx

On Aug 22, 7:59*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
What are you stitching just now?
* * I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: *lions and tigers and
bears. *An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. *The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
* * Ah. *just right.
* * And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. *planning? *stomping
and setting on fire?
* * It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? *And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. *So. *Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? * Polly

Old August 23rd 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

I have elephants, monkeys, zebras, etc all sitting on a baby quilt
waiting patiently to be quilted. However all machining is on hold at the
moment as I got cellulitis at the end of July and my peddle foot is
incapacitated completely and I am still so weak all the quilts are
bigger than me! I have been doing a little (and I mean a little) hand
piecing and quilting, but am inclined to fall asleep after about 6".

However I am on the mend and the anti-biotics are gradually being
decreased - I am sure I can't have any bacteria left in my body!

I can now walk again in a fairly normal manner, and as apparently it
takes about 2 months to go away and as three of the other people I have
been told about ended up with a stay in hospital, I have come off lightly.

So if anyone suddenly has a high fever and feels really dreadful,
coupled with a red swollen foot/ankle/leg don't ignore it - get medical
advice straight away and get the antibiotics going asap. I'd never heard
of it, but the nurse at the surgery said she thinks its more common now.

DSis in Law gave me all my birthday fabric yesterday after her visit to
the US and its all in the washing machine at the moment. - its fabulous
and includes yards of batiks - Mmmmmmmm! She did very well at the Button
Convention and sold enough buttons to more than cover her trip (and my
fabric!!).

So what am I doing - stroking fabric, what better!

Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~uk
http://picasaweb.google.com/SallySeaside

Old August 23rd 10, 04:41 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sunny[_2_]

I'm about to mail off my doll quilt swapper -- complete with some
extra goodies for my secret partner. Photos will be posted when she
receives the quilt. AND I'm working on a design for a
contest...nothing amazing, just the Cloth Paper Scissors magazine
challenge about buttons. Mine is pretty mundane right now and I'm
trying to find some inspiration for a little sparkle.

Sunny
Old August 23rd 10, 06:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

Too many balls in the air!
1. halfway through quilting a sampler of mini blocks surrounding a
flea market embroidered treasure
2. need to decide what comes next on a sort of one-woman row robin
project -it just keeps growing
3. teddy bears, both knit and stitched
4. several tops await quilting
5. blocks starting to come in for the next friendship quilt, which
needs to be done before December so we can start selling raffle
tickets

I do love the idea of sending the EB to the jungle!
Roberta in D, not a big fan of milk chocolate

Old August 23rd 10, 07:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Leslie& The Furbabies in MO.

A pieced lamp shade would really show the seam allowances when the light was
turned on. You'd probably want to use some kind of batting or something to
prevent the seams showing. That would make it mood lighting???

Maybe another idea would be to cut the shapes from fused fabrics without any
seam allowance and then fuse them in block formation to some type of light
weight fabric- more like a stained glass approach.

Leslie- party pooper & The Furbabies in MO.

"Maureen Wozniak" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Aug 2010 22:42:00 -0500, Polly Esther wrote
(in article ):

Home dec? Now there's a project I need to get going on. There's quite a
collection of wooden spools of thread and a few smaller ones that
contained
silk button hole twist here. I've thought of getting a lamp with an
empty
base usually for filling with sea shells and putting the special old
wooden
things in it.
It also crosses my mind that a lamp shade of quilt blocks might be
fun.
Any body tried it? Polly

Never tried it, but I bet it would be pretty stunning!

Maureen

Old August 23rd 10, 07:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
simpleseven

On Aug 22, 7:59*pm, "Polly Esther" wrote:
What are you stitching just now?
* * I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: *lions and tigers and
bears. *An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. *The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
* * Ah. *just right.
* * And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. *planning? *stomping
and setting on fire?
* * It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? *And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. *So. *Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? * Polly

Ha ha...easter bunny! That's great...love it. Hmmm....what am I
doing? Nothing quilty....but I did sew raw edges for a couple of
bibs for a woman who is bed ridden. I stitched a little, cried a
little, stitched a lttle, cried a little...almost all the way through
to the end. My machine's tension was acting up...the top kept
breaking...don't know what that is all about. I rethread it a couple
of times to no avail. I hadn't sewn anything since Terry's passing
and now my machine is acting up...sigh. I need to take it in anyway
for a yearly check up....owned it for awhile and its way past due. I
have pajama pants cut out and ready to go...maybe they'll be done by
Christmas...lol.
As far as quilt related stuff...haven't done squat....just thinking
about it...thats as far as I get. I have been working and focusing on
my house and yard this summer. It is really shaping up and looking
good...or it will once it's painted.

Launie, in Oregon
Old August 23rd 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

If you pieced normally but with the right sides of the fabric towards
the back, then turned it over and covered the bare seams with dark
binding/tape/special stained glass tape, thus turning the back into the
right side, you would have a fabulous stained glass shade and the wrong
side would have finished seams.

Old August 23rd 10, 10:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

wrote:

What are you stitching just now?
I have a jungle symphony on the design wall: lions and tigers and
bears. An elephant, 3 zebras and all manner of kangaroo spots and jungle
greenery. The arrangement was just much too 'expected' so I tossed in the
Easter Bunny.
Ah. just right.
And I wondered what my friends here were stitching. planning? stomping
and setting on fire?
It's time for county fairs; anyone entering? And probably time to get
going on any sort of Christmas tree skirt or stocking. So. Roll Call.
What'cha doin' ? Polly

I am working on a table runner, a gift for a wonderful nurse, who
coordinates the Breast Care Center at the clinic where I have had all
of my care at. Since the first time I met her (back when I was
diagnosed), she has gone above and beyond the call of duty in more
ways than I can count. I wanted to give her something more than a
verbal 'thank you!" for some time. It consists of three appliqued
flower blocks (all done via embroidery on the Designer 1), with
sashing and a border. I'm in the process of stipple quilting and hope
to get the binding done next week and then get it in the mail.

I've also made two sleeveless tops, a t-shirt, and am about to cut out
fabric for a jacket.

Finally....lots and lots of alterations!

-Irene

Old August 23rd 10, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

OH! That would make a wonderful window shade too!! OH! The possibilities
are endless...Well almost:-)

Nana

Old August 24th 10, 02:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KT in Mich

I'm pretty new to quilting. Right now I am putting together a small table
mat --- kind of a big placemat. Am using a 15-piece charm pack I got in
our local shop hop as a door prize. Want to try doing a continuous leaf
pattern by quilting thru tracings from an image I found on line. Mostly
browns, gold-browns, and leaf-greens, I'm thinking of a gold-ish thread for
the quilting. We'll see. I change my mind every few minutes! I really
like doing small pieces for now as it is great practice for the biggies to
come.

KT. in MI