The second mostly girly bag

Old August 22nd 10, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
IMS[_6_]

Default The second mostly girly bag

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 15:46:11 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

As promised; The second of probably many of the girly bag series of
totes/bags/ carryalls/ and mystery bags, that I am doing for one of my
wife's fundraisers. This one has a greater emphasis on the colors of
the 9 patch pattern and less on the dividing sashing of peachy pink,
which tended to dominate the first bag of the series. I like this
combination better than the first one, but each one has it's own
appeal, I guess, even though they all will be using the same colors;
just in different amounts. The noteworthy item on the open bag is one
of the best things you can do if you are making bags or purses, the
"Key Ring Lanyard". I use brass thumb release hooks so you can get the
keys off and use them off the bag, but there are plastic ones
available from the key making stand at any Home Depot/Lowes center. I
came up with this idea while watching my wife go dumpster diving for
her keys in a bag she was using, at the time. I thought that if you
had the keys attached to a lanyard of some sort, it would be an
advantage and so in every bag I have made for her, (and that is many),
I have included one and she tells me she is forever grateful. I am
sure I am not the first person to think of this, but a number of her
friends had never seen one and were very impressed. And so it goes. 2
views. No waiting. Enjoy.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...93272001658914

Beautiful, John! Are you using a pattern(s) for these bags? If so
could you share which ones? They're really beautiful.

-Irene
Old August 22nd 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

http://picasaweb.google.com/ljtaylor...erest#55079932...

Beautiful, John! *Are you using a pattern(s) for these bags? *If so
could you share which ones? *They're really beautiful.

-Irene

Not really. I tend to create on the fly, so to speak. I have made
about 20 different bags of varying patterns. One of the things I have
found is that the style of the bag is dependent on the quilt pattern.
I did some with a hexagon shaped quilted pattern, and that caused me
to do a different assembly method,( I had to use a liner), than one
with a square shaped quilted pattern like the 9 patch. The square
shaped pattern is the easiest to sew, as the inside pockets, don't
require a liner, as the same sewing that does the quilting can be used
for the creation of the pockets. One of the Tricks I did use, is an
oval serving platter as a template for the bottoms of those that I
wanted as an oval shape. It makes for a bag that sits closer to the
body than a round one. Trial and error is one of the best design
methods for me. The lessons learned by mistakes, are the ones that
stay with you as knowledge. Someone said to me that the sign of a good
carpenter is one that you can't see his
mistakes. It probably holds true with people who sew. Everybody makes
boo-boo's. but if you can incorporate them so that they don't show, I
am ahead of the game. Maybe I should write a how to book on sewing
bags. Oh Great. Just what I need. Another project.

John

Old August 22nd 10, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Nana.Wilson

wrote:
[...]

Wonderful bags, John!! I would buy the book! ;-)

Nana

Old August 22nd 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Butterflywings

I have a LIGHTWEIGHT flashlight attached to the key ring (same clip Ginger
has to keep them attached to the purse handle.) I will NEVER EVER get
stranded in a bathroom with a 'movement light' going out again. Had enuf
time to get from the door into the stall and lights went OUT. I also always
carry a small packet of Kleenex in my purse...and have used to flashlight to
'find it' when heading down the highway after dark.

Butterfly (wondering if an LED lite would be as bright?)

"Polly Esther" wrote in message
I was given a baseball cap back at Christmas that has lights on it. So
far, I haven't played baseball in the dark but it could happen - and - I'm
betting John is clever enough to figure out how to light the bottom of the
bag. What do think, John? Polly

"Roberta" ...
The lanyard is a great idea. A couple of my more expensive retail bags
have one. Love the way you finished the inside of that tote, and the
light-colored bottom. (What we really need in a big bag is an
illuminated bottom!).
Roberta in D

Old August 22nd 10, 09:49 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat S

Yes, they are marvellous for their size, Butterfly. I don't think you
need worry.
..
In message , Butterflywings
writes

--
Best Regards
Pat on the Green
Old August 25th 10, 07:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
claudia

John that would be great! I look forward to your email when the time
comes!

Claudia

A Most Girly Tote John Quilting 9 August 17th 10 11:22 PM
Finally, the Girly Quilt John Quilting 20 March 10th 07 12:20 PM
Girly quilt top finished. John Quilting 1 March 3rd 07 01:27 PM
New girly quilt. John Quilting 28 February 25th 07 11:32 PM
AD- silver pearls ID bag, amethyst wine amulet bag. Amber Beads 6 June 23rd 04 07:21 AM