Looking for tips, tricks, and warnings on beads

Old May 27th 16, 03:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Danny Breidenbach

Default Looking for tips, tricks, and warnings on beads

I've been working on TW's Celestial Dragon, and I'm not too far from the beading stage. I've never worked with beads, so I'm looking for input.

1. I assume it's best to do these last. Correct?

2. Should I wash and press the piece before beading? I can't imagine pressing after adding beads.

3. What do I need to prepare for as far as doing the actual work? I'm accustomed to holding the piece in my hand (I use Q-Snaps) for stitching. I'll need to work at a table for the beads, won't I? Can this be done with the fabric loose (no hoop or frame)?

4. What gauge needle do you recommend?

5. What am I forgetting to ask about? :-)

(I remember the olden days of the Usenet-based RCTN when a message like this would release a torrent of responses and maybe even set off a mini-flame war or something.)

--Danny
Old May 27th 16, 05:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
[email protected]

On Fri, 27 May 2016 07:57:50 -0700 (PDT), Danny Breidenbach
wrote:

I've been working on TW's Celestial Dragon, and I'm not too far from the beading stage. I've never worked with beads, so I'm looking for input.

1. I assume it's best to do these last. Correct?

2. Should I wash and press the piece before beading? I can't imagine pressing after adding beads.

3. What do I need to prepare for as far as doing the actual work? I'm accustomed to holding the piece in my hand (I use Q-Snaps) for stitching. I'll need to work at a table for the beads, won't I? Can this be done with the fabric loose (no hoop or frame)?

4. What gauge needle do you recommend?

5. What am I forgetting to ask about? :-)

(I remember the olden days of the Usenet-based RCTN when a message like this would release a torrent of responses and maybe even set off a mini-flame war or something.)

--Danny

Good to see you Danny, while I can't answer your query Joanie can and
I am drawing her attention to your post
Old May 28th 16, 02:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Rich[_3_]

Hi Danny,

I don't like doing beads but I have done some...

Do them last, wash and press first.

You can hold the piece in hand or use a frame. I have put them on as
I stitched using a scroll frame. Then just rolled the piece up in the
scroll frame as I worked (I stitch from top to bottom).

Get a beading needle.

Its not hard, just tedious, for me anyway.

hth, Rich

Old May 28th 16, 04:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Nyssa[_2_]

Danny Breidenbach wrote:

I've been working on TW's Celestial Dragon, and I'm not
too far from the beading stage. I've never worked with
beads, so I'm looking for input.

1. I assume it's best to do these last. Correct?

2. Should I wash and press the piece before beading? I
can't imagine pressing after adding beads.

3. What do I need to prepare for as far as doing the
actual work? I'm accustomed to holding the piece in my
hand (I use Q-Snaps) for stitching. I'll need to work at a
table for the beads, won't I? Can this be done with the
fabric loose (no hoop or frame)?

4. What gauge needle do you recommend?

5. What am I forgetting to ask about? :-)

(I remember the olden days of the Usenet-based RCTN when a
message like this would release a torrent of responses and
maybe even set off a mini-flame war or something.)

--Danny

You can wash and press after beading if you're careful not
to press down too hard with the iron AND place a terrycloth
towel or other thick padding under the work when ironing.
Also iron from the back of the piece so that the beads are
resting in the padded surface.

I've done both beading after all stitching is complete on
smaller pieces and adding beading as I finish stitching
each section. It's more a matter of personal taste than
a gotta-do-it-this-way kind of thing.

On the REALLY large pieces like the Wentzlers or Mirabilias
I'll mount the fabric on scroll bars then as I roll up
the beaded sections use a small terrycloth facecloth or
small hand towel to pad the beading from being crushed as
the scroll bars are tightened. With QSnaps that won't be
an option, so you might have to switch over to scrolls if
the piece being worked is a large one.

As for needles, I found a brand and size that works very
well for both regular stitching and getting through the
small beads so I don't have to switch out needles back
and forth when I'm working. They are John James Tapestry
Pointed Short Beading Needles Size 10. They should be
available online somewhere like Nordic Needle. I bought
mine in packs of 25, so I'm set for awhile.

Nyssa
At River's End

Old May 28th 16, 10:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Annette from NZ

Good advice from everyone else.
I have done beading on cross stitch pieces just holding the work in my hand, usually when my scroll frame is in use with something else. I would not try to put Qsnaps over beads.

Although tedious, it is best to stitch each bead on with a cross stitch, as this ensures the bead sits firmly just where you want it to be. If you have a long line of beads that are touching each other, then you can stitch 3 beads at a time using beading back stitch. Some tutorials say you can do 5 or 6 beads at a time but I find 3 gives me more control over curved lines.

And I definitely stitch at a table using a terry towel as a cloth. Beads like to escape from their little containers and jump all over the place. Terry towel keeps them controlled.

And finally, use glass beads. When I didn't know anything about beads I bought some plastic ones by mistake. Plastic beads break during stitching and melt if an iron gets anywhere near them.

Have fun, Annette
Old May 31st 16, 08:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Joan Erickson

wrote:

[...]

Well, late as usual! I was off camping in our new camper so I didn't
see this until others had answered all of the questions!

The only thing I didn't see addressed was framing. If you use glass,
you'll need to make sure you use a layer or 2 of matting so the glass
isn't touching the beads.

Speaking of glass, Michael's now has a "museum" glass that I love, love,
love for my stitching! Doesn't have glare nor does it have that blurry
look that non-glare glass gives. The only downfall is that you don't
want to touch the glass--the coating on it is nearly impossible to clean
if you get fingerprints on it.

I know people in the past have had lots of trouble with Michael's
framing but the one here in Grand Forks has excellent people and they
use all acid-free materials. Their 80% off coupons (at least once a
year) are a big help, too!

Gee, it sure is nice to have people pop in here again! I've been pretty
lonely, checking in about every other week to see if anyone's about.

--
Joan

See my pictures he
http://ndjoan.shutterfly.com/pictures

Unknown

Weather warnings in Australia Pat P[_3_] Needlework 5 February 7th 11 01:14 AM
OFF TOPIC - pun warnings Cheryl Isaak Needlework 0 October 25th 08 01:17 PM
Tips and Tricks Boca Jan Quilting 4 September 12th 06 12:03 AM
Start Buying on eBay - eBay Shopping Tips & Tricks [email protected] Beads 0 January 13th 06 03:38 PM
Zipper tips and tricks Beth Pierce Sewing 4 December 18th 03 05:00 PM