Macrame question

Old January 10th 04, 05:48 PM
Lorraine

Default Macrame question

I know I have seen posts about macrame here and I have a question. I do not
do macrame so am not in the know but I need to get a couple of macrame plant
hangars. I am willing to buy them if someone can point me in the right
direction.

Thanks in advance,
Lorraine

--
Some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield -author unknown

Old January 10th 04, 08:36 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

If you go to: http://www.google.com and type in: macrame plant
hangers, you'll get a long list of where to purchase. I had NO idea they
were still in such vogue. Of course, I stopped growing house plants 20
years ago, so haven't really looked.
Dianne

Old January 11th 04, 03:55 AM
Skyhooks

I remember when macrame was the big thing back in the '70s (egads, it's
scarey to say that!). As I understand it, the art of macrame dates back
to sailors?????? Basically, macrame (IIRC) is nothing but combined
clove hitches and half-hitches? Perhaps "embellished" macrame includes
more ornate knots? NO - I'm not gonna go there - I'm alreay SABLE, but
.. . . . (hey, I have to hedge!)!

Sweet Stitching!!!!!!!

Helen (Skyhooks)
hmardis "aht" uiuc "daught" edu

"reply to" address munged -- read line above for correct addy.

TFTD: Good things turn up when both corners of your mouth do the same!

Old January 11th 04, 02:40 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Old Weldon's publications have some pretty macrame designs (no plant
hangers grin). I remember giving it a try back in the late 70's, but
I was lost patience. I like "finer" things and didn't like the prickly
hemp. However, a neighbor did some beautiful wall hangings in macrame.

I was digging out a drawn thread book a couple weeks ago and just smiled
and smiled. Looked up the publishing date and sure enough: 1970's. I
could tell by the designs.

Lula Chang had a discussion here awhile back about how culture dictates
design. Fascinating topic. We've been watching old sci fi movies and
noticing how some of the set designers had lots more vision than others.
Some were quite stuck in their "here and now", others tried to
envision more out of the box.

Dianne