birth (rather than baby) design

Old August 1st 07, 12:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Default birth (rather than baby) design

There is a conference about childbirth in California next year, to help
raise money to cover costs, there will be a silent auction of hand made
items, I'm not clear on whether they have to be birth related, but, I
think they may well be likely to raise more money if they are. The logo
for the conference is here http://trustbirthconference.com/, but I think
that for me, it would be too difficult to do in fabric and the results
wouldn't be pleasing. I would like to contribute a wallhanging sized
quilt, but I'm struggling for ideas as to a birth related feature that I
could base the design around. Any ideas?

Cheers
Anne
Old August 1st 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

There is a conference about childbirth in California next year, to help
raise money to cover costs, there will be a silent auction of hand made
items, I'm not clear on whether they have to be birth related, but, I
think they may well be likely to raise more money if they are. The logo
for the conference is here http://trustbirthconference.com/, but I think
that for me, it would be too difficult to do in fabric and the results
wouldn't be pleasing. I would like to contribute a wallhanging sized
quilt, but I'm struggling for ideas as to a birth related feature that I
could base the design around. Any ideas?

Google "birth tray Renaissance Italy".

I found out about them from a picture in a book by Fernand Braudel,
but can't remember which one. (Not the three-volume "Civilization
and Capitalism" - well, it might be in there, but I've only got the
last French edition and it's at the bottom of a pile of books which
would do me an injury if I tried to pull it out). Braudel's example
is much weirder than any I can find on the web. Another weird one
is at http://www.levity.com/alchemy/a-archive_mar04.html.

There seems to be a *lot* written about these things.

Old August 1st 07, 05:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

I wouldn't know a crocus if someone served me one with my cornflakes, and
reckon I've only seen snow about 5 times - but, spring is my heart's view of
birth. What about a quilt in glorious shades of cold white with some sunny
places and a crocus valiantly peeping through? When we do spring here on
the Gulf Coast, it's announced by the hundreds of robins dropping by for a
bit of hospitality on their flight north; no snow and no crocus but I reckon
that Mississippi's notion of the birth of spring would not be something a
California auction would understand. Polly

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message
[...]

============== j-c ====== @ ====== purr . demon . co . uk
==============
Jack Campin: 11 Third St, Newtongrange EH22 4PU, Scotland | tel 0131 660
4760
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/jack/ for CD-ROMs and free | fax 0870 0554
975
stuff: Scottish music, food intolerance, & Mac logic fonts | mob 07800 739
557

Old August 1st 07, 06:31 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers[_3_]

Polly Esther wrote:
I wouldn't know a crocus if someone served me one with my cornflakes, and
reckon I've only seen snow about 5 times - but, spring is my heart's view of
birth. What about a quilt in glorious shades of cold white with some sunny
places and a crocus valiantly peeping through? When we do spring here on
the Gulf Coast, it's announced by the hundreds of robins dropping by for a
bit of hospitality on their flight north; no snow and no crocus but I reckon
that Mississippi's notion of the birth of spring would not be something a
California auction would understand. Polly

wow, thanks Polly, I'd not linked spring and birth, it's going to take
some thinking, but you've got me on a train of thought that's a bit more
likely to end in something quilty than having my brain stuck on the
process of human childbirth!

Cheers
Anne

Old August 1st 07, 12:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Jack, you are a font of amazing knowledge. The tray is wonderful -meant as a
ceremonial gift for babes who come complete with silver spoons? Can't think
what practical use it would be.
Roberta in D

"Jack Campin - bogus address" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old August 1st 07, 01:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I would like to contribute a wallhanging sized quilt, but
I'm struggling for ideas as to a birth related feature that
I could base the design around. Any ideas?

Google "birth tray Renaissance Italy".

The tray is wonderful - meant as a ceremonial gift for
babes who come complete with silver spoons? Can't think
what practical use it would be.

One of those links suggested it was used to bring the mother
sweetmeats during the lying-in period. I presume a modern
equivalent would be designed to haul industrial quantities
of chocolate?

I think the Braudel tray picture might have been in his book
on the Mediterranean in the time of Philip II. I'm not going
to describe it, just be prepared for a surprise...

Old August 1st 07, 01:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Anne: I took a peek at a few links on the site. So, I
'discovered' that this Trust Birth Association is
promoting birthing babies in home. So .... how about a
small quilt with houses? You could search for some
fabric that has pictures of babies and have that fabric
in some windows. You could appliqué a heart on each
roof. Lots of possibilities with houses! HTH.
PAT in VA/USA

Old August 1st 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debbi in SO CA

Anne,

How about a photo transfer onto fabric? Then you can have to logo and do
not have to go into all the detail. There is no way I have the artistic
ability to create something like the logo in fabric, but I have done the
photo transfer. When I want to to look absolutely fantastic, I take my
fabric and picture to my LQS and they transfer for me. I do soak my
fabric in Bubble Jet 2000 first so that the transfer will not just wash
out. If I don't take my own fabric and use theirs, they have a great
photo transfer fabric that they use.

Debbi in SO CA

Old August 1st 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Debra

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:03:17 -0700, Anne Rogers
wrote:

There is a conference about childbirth in California next year, to help
raise money to cover costs, there will be a silent auction of hand made
items, I'm not clear on whether they have to be birth related, but, I
think they may well be likely to raise more money if they are. The logo
for the conference is here http://trustbirthconference.com/, but I think
that for me, it would be too difficult to do in fabric and the results
wouldn't be pleasing. I would like to contribute a wallhanging sized
quilt, but I'm struggling for ideas as to a birth related feature that I
could base the design around. Any ideas?

Cheers
Anne

I have a simple stylized drawing symbolic of a woman giving birth that
could be used for applique.
Debra in VA
See my quilts at