Boy's Don't Knit!

Old July 12th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Default Boy's Don't Knit!

As a 'boy' who knits I was intrigued with a children's picture book
entitled, "Boy's Don't Knit!" by Janice Shoop.

It is a wonderful book and I really enjoyed that dealt with the
subject of boys knitting. A grandfather informs the boy in the story,
"Boys' fingers are just as nimble as girls', and boys can learn as
easily," answered Elsa's grandfather. What a wonderful way to
encourage boys to knit by equating the genders with like abilities.

Padishar, who is lovingly tolerated by his wife who doesn't knit as
well as he does... GRIN

Old July 12th 07, 08:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
oups.com...
As a 'boy' who knits I was intrigued with a children's picture book
entitled, "Boy's Don't Knit!" by Janice Shoop.

It is a wonderful book and I really enjoyed that dealt with the
subject of boys knitting. A grandfather informs the boy in the story,
"Boys' fingers are just as nimble as girls', and boys can learn as
easily," answered Elsa's grandfather. What a wonderful way to
encourage boys to knit by equating the genders with like abilities.

I can't understand the subject line - or the book title.

I have three sons and two daughters. They all learned to knit, only one of
them does now.

I have six grandsons and four granddaughters. Two are too young to learn to
knit (at 22 and 13 months you have to agree). Only two of them knit now,
both boys.

Mary

Old July 13th 07, 04:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Padishar Creel

Mary stated that she couldn't understand the subject line - or the book title.

I have three sons and two daughters. They all learned to knit, only one of
them does now.

I have six grandsons and four granddaughters. Two are too young to learn to
knit (at 22 and 13 months you have to agree). Only two of them knit now,
both boys.

---------------
Mary on our side of the big pond (US) it is still a bit unusual to see
males knitting these days. I do sense that times are changing and
more of us boys are knitting. The book develops a appreciation for
knitted items in general and encourages boys to knit specifically.

Padishar

Old July 13th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Padishar Creel" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary stated that she couldn't understand the subject line - or the book
title.

I have three sons and two daughters. They all learned to knit, only one
of
them does now.

I have six grandsons and four granddaughters. Two are too young to learn
knit (at 22 and 13 months you have to agree). Only two of them knit now,
both boys.

---------------
Mary on our side of the big pond (US) it is still a bit unusual to see
males knitting these days. I do sense that times are changing and
more of us boys are knitting. The book develops a appreciation for
knitted items in general and encourages boys to knit specifically.

Padishar

I believe it's unusual here too but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen :-)

Mary

Old July 13th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Georg

Padishar Creel wrote:
Mary stated that she couldn't understand the subject line - or the book title.

I have three sons and two daughters. They all learned to knit, only one of
them does now.

I have six grandsons and four granddaughters. Two are too young to learn to
knit (at 22 and 13 months you have to agree). Only two of them knit now,
both boys.

---------------
Mary on our side of the big pond (US) it is still a bit unusual to see
males knitting these days. I do sense that times are changing and
more of us boys are knitting. The book develops a appreciation for
knitted items in general and encourages boys to knit specifically.

Padishar

My granfather taught my mother who helped show me a few things. My Gram
never learned to knit, but I do have the only thing she ever crochetted-
an afghan she hated with a passion.

-georg
knitter of socks
Old July 14th 07, 02:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Padishar Creel wrote:
As a 'boy' who knits I was intrigued with a children's picture book
entitled, "Boy's Don't Knit!" by Janice Shoop.

It is a wonderful book and I really enjoyed that dealt with the
subject of boys knitting. A grandfather informs the boy in the story,
"Boys' fingers are just as nimble as girls', and boys can learn as
easily," answered Elsa's grandfather. What a wonderful way to
encourage boys to knit by equating the genders with like abilities.

Padishar, who is lovingly tolerated by his wife who doesn't knit as
well as he does... GRIN

Thanks Padishar,

What a great story to pass on.
Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Old July 14th 07, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

YEARS ago there was a Book in Israel
"LaBat ve gam Laben Lo Yazik Ladaat "
For the Daughter , but also for the Son it wouldn`t hurt to know ..
At those time Teenager books of any kind were quite rare. in one of
the articles/stories The writer tells , that she just could Not knit
thus one year her mother gave her a Birthday present Hidden /rolled
into the wool balls ,,, which she had to knit , to get her present.
And than her Father Helped her ,,, he learned to knit onesummer when
he was in Hospital with a broken leg ....
mirjam

Old July 14th 07, 10:14 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Mary Fisher

"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message

And than her Father Helped her ,,, he learned to knit onesummer when
he was in Hospital with a broken leg ....
mirjam

My husband was in hospital for a month in the 1980s, with some still
unidentified neurological condition. He's a very practical man who hates
doing nothing with his hands, reading wasn't satisfying enough.

So I took him some balls of wool and an inkle loom, he'd never even heard of
such a thing - nor had I, it was a friend's. There were no instructions but
he worked it out and made yards and yards of decorative banding which was
very much in demand for straps, leg binders and favours.

Now he makes inkle looms (among lots of other textile equipment). He's the
textile worker in this house - apart from knitting and hand sewing which I
prefer so don't allow him to take it from me.

Mary

Old July 14th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
[...]

Great!

Thank you Mirjam,
Dennis
Old July 14th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Mary,

You would not believe how close that story hits home.

I spent 3 weeks at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. I never
received a diagnosis, I was told I was an anomaly. My neurological
problem was never completely diagnosed accept for be told I have so many
neurological disorders they can't pick one out to blame things on.

I learned to knit and crochet many years before Mayo but, your letter
made me laugh, yes you have to laugh for cry. I choose to laugh and
enjoy life, it is good.

Hugs & God bless,
Dennis & Gail
Mary Fisher wrote:
"Mirjam Bruck-Cohen" wrote in message

And than her Father Helped her ,,, he learned to knit onesummer when
he was in Hospital with a broken leg ....Bo

boy's knitting enigma Yarn 21 April 4th 07 01:17 AM
?? Is something knit on a manual knitting machine "hand knit"? Yarn 23 March 14th 06 07:49 PM
Machine knit equivalent to "knit one below" Ian Roberts Machine Knit 2 October 29th 04 12:13 PM
boy's quilts romanyroamer Quilting 5 February 12th 04 03:00 PM
A boy's Doll house Fizbin Doll Houses 6 August 11th 03 03:05 PM