Home again.

Old June 28th 07, 04:35 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

Default Home again.

On Jun 27, 6:38 pm, "Donna in NE La." wrote:
I usually just lurk but had to reply to this. LOL I grew up in northwest
Florida and we had potted meat in our house. Potted meat and crackers for a
snack--yum!! LOL

I still love potted meat and crackers! I rarely eat it because it is
SOOOO
bad for me. But I love it! g

Higs,
Katherine

Old June 28th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Katherine wrote:
On Jun 27, 6:38 pm, "Donna in NE La." wrote:
I usually just lurk but had to reply to this. LOL I grew up in northwest
Florida and we had potted meat in our house. Potted meat and crackers for a
snack--yum!! LOL

I still love potted meat and crackers! I rarely eat it because it is
SOOOO
bad for me. But I love it! g

Higs,
Katherine

I second that.
Dennis
Old June 28th 07, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Olwyn Mary

Could everyone please do me a HUGE favor? You may notice the title of
this thread is "home again" and I started it on June 13 to tell everyone
I was no longer in hospital. Being still pretty weak, I cross posted to
several groups on which I am fairly regular.

Now, however, because of our collective mastery of topic drift, it has
grown into a monster. So,, if you reply to any of the postings, please
strip out the extra addresses and post it only on the group you happen
to be reading.

Thanks again for all the good wishes, I am improving very slowly, but I
AM improving.

Olwyn Mary in New Orleans.

Old June 28th 07, 01:05 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

Default OT: SPAM

On 6/27/07 7:20 PM, in article , "Kathleen"
wrote:

ellice wrote:
On 6/26/07 6:25 PM, "Katherine" wrote:

On Jun 26, 3:16 pm, Karen C - California wrote:

Katherine wrote:

Yepper! Which is why home cooking is better. You can regulate what
goes
into the meal.

Absolutely. But you can't regulate what goes into the husband when he's
not home.

When we first got married, I was puzzled how he could be gaining weight
on what I was feeding him. Then I found out. On his way to work, he
supplemented my healthy breakfast with a 600-calorie muffin slathered
with butter. He topped off the low-cal lunch I packed with a bucket of
the Colonel's finest. After a low-fat dinner, he'd run an errand by way
of either Dunkin Donuts or the ice cream shop.

It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that I don't cook the way his mother
did (with lots of salt, lots of fried food, gravy on everything) and my
healthy meals made him feel "deprived".

OK, how long have you been married to m y Keith? g
I remember one summer when he swore that he wasn't eating anything
but what I prepared and he kept gaining weight. Turns out he was
DRINKING a minimum of two iced cappucinos every day!

Higs,
Katherine

Hey, the cappucino's won't do anything - they're just milk and some
expresso. But, the extra junk if it's full of syrup, etc - that'll drive
the calorie count way up.

I worked for a couple of architects who owned a tiny firm. Them, an
apprentice and me. Swenson's (an ice cream shop) opened up downstairs.
Afternoon malts quickly became a semi-weekly tradition. Although it
was the partners' treat I quickly realized that no good could come of
this and switched my own order to a blueberry phosphate with *lots* of
ice and seltzer. The guys stuck to their large hand-scooped chocolate
malts.

By about Labor Day, the three of them were bemoaning the extra notches
in their belts and were dumbfounded when I pointed out that their
Swenson's habit added an extra 3000 calories to their weekly intake.
They dropped the malted milk monkey and with no further effort, lost
their big bellies within about 6 weeks (I hate guys sometimes).

That is just cruel

Old June 28th 07, 01:06 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Cheryl Isaak

On 6/28/07 6:46 AM, in article ,
"lucretia borgia" wrote:

spampot ""spampot\"@NO SPAM orph.org",in
rec.crafts.textiles.needleworkwrote:

And more cross posting

At least it other crafty people and not the drivel from MI5whatever...

Old June 28th 07, 01:14 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Default OT: Home again.

CypSew wrote:
Now you're talking, Bruce! Except we "Texans" call it Menudo(may-nu-doe).
My brother had lived a number of years in NM and W TX, and when he was dying
in Meridian, MS several years ago, I took large containers over there to him
with enough to share with the nurses. Then one day, I stopped at a
restaurant near the hospital and found the owner's son-in-law was from the
interior of Mexico and made the best menudo we'd tasted in many years. My
Mother knew how to fix it and I have no idea of how/where she got the
recipe, but the taste was perfect. She grew up, lived & died in mid-S MS,
the area we call "The Oil Capital of the South." And no, it isn't good for
a person to eat on a regular basis, but a treat ever so often. I haven't
eaten any since my brother's death.
BTW, I told my DS, a nurse practitioner, & his wife, a pharmacist, about
this discussion and they laughed and said, "We've bought it at the Post
Exchange in both MD and SC. He and wife are actually "real health-food
addicts", most of the time, but eat a small can ever so often to remind
themselves of their childhood. I thought that was hilarious, knowing her
propensity for eating healthy. However, they don't give it to DGD. Nor do
either of them eat menudo.
Emily

I've heard that the one infallible sign of an authentic Mexican
restaurant in the U.S. is menudo on the menu. Also that menudo soup is
a hangover cure. Not that I've tried it, mind.
Old June 28th 07, 01:42 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

On 6/27/07 7:09 PM, "me" wrote:

I don't know how "regional" distributed the products are, as I have
lived all over the USA (both East & West coasts, in the North and in
the South), and have found potted meat (labelled "potted meat" or
"potted meat product") in grocery stores in every place I have ever
lived. It is a pretty standard shelf item. You can even purchase it in
"Super" WalMarts in their grocery section (which have their inventory
entirely controlled & standardized at a corporate level). It is
usually found in markets near the vienna sausages, and the "standard"
tin is the same size. (It can also be purchased in "half" tins, which
are half the height of a vienna sausage tin)

me

Interesting. I've never grocery shopped in Wal-Mart. But, then again, I
didn't really grow up in the Wal-Mart region, and while now they are here, I
tend to avoid them based on the child-slave labor issue (there are other
bargain places to use).

Might just be how labelling of products is at different places.

Interesting far from stitching conversation.

ellice
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:16:33 GMT, ellice wrote:

How lovely. However, it is entirely likely and probable that some of these
products are regional in their offering. I never doubted anyone else in
other places hearing the phrase, just know that in the areas where I've
lived it wasn't used. And I have never seen in the grocery store in any of
those places something labelled "potted meat" . I have seen Vienna
Sausages, and SPAM - but not with "potted meat" on the label.

ellice

Old June 28th 07, 01:51 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

Katherine wrote:

[...]

I totally understand this. When I first stopped my "real" job, I ended up
as a supervisor/asst mngr in a Starbucks. Lots of fun. But, quickly I
learned what the calories were in those hefty drinks. So, also, not being
very much of a sweets person, that helped. But, you could see the regulars
coming in for their daily 500 calorie drink. The worst - a very nice
youngish woman, kind of puffy, with some skin issues - every day - a Caramel
Macchiato, made with 5 or 6 shots of expresso, and extra caramel syrup (in
the cup) and extra caramel sauce (on the top) and....instead of milk - with
Half'n'half. What a killer - clog your arteries, hype you up, and fatten
you up all at once.

Personally,I'm a cappucino drinker in winter, and iced latte's in summer -
maybe with 1 pump of syrup (about 20-30 cal). Always skim milk. Even on
Weight Watchers - that way I get my milk in. I do need something about
mid-afternoon.

By about Labor Day, the three of them were bemoaning the extra notches
in their belts and were dumbfounded when I pointed out that their
Swenson's habit added an extra 3000 calories to their weekly intake.
They dropped the malted milk monkey and with no further effort, lost
their big bellies within about 6 weeks (I hate guys sometimes).

I can see this. One of my contractors years ago in science world had put a
cappucino machine in their kitchen for that particular group. When we'd go
over to meet - review some seriuos calculations, the first thing one of the
guys would immediately say (the chief investigators were a great pair, one
Israeli, the other German - both now American) "C'mon - let's make
cappucinos" . It was a hoot.

I hate guys for the quick weight loss thing as well. DH - who only does the
visit to the colonel when he's away or I'm not around - about once every 3
mnonths - can lose it sooooo quickly. His biggest issue - he still can eat
like the teenage boy jock that he was - so getting him to go with smaller
portions on some things, is the key. But, if he just cuts some sweet
indulgence - he loses quickly. Life just isn't fair.

ellice

Old June 28th 07, 01:57 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

Katherine wrote:
[...]

Ellice

The iced cappuccinos are usually sweetened, though.

The stuff the BK and MacDonalds is serving - absolutely. It's purposely
being marketed that way, iced coffees, etc. Dunkin Donut's as well.
Read/saw some show about the coffee wars.

But a true cappucino isn't. Of course, an iced cappucino is kind of an
oxymoron - in that cappucinos are traditionally espresso with a 50/50
foam-milk mix. Lattes are the straight milk - with a tiny bit of foam.
So, well, an iced cappucino is a tough thing - unless you're pouring foamed
milk into a glass with ice & expresso. And then if you really get into it -
there is the "wet" cappucino - which is higher percentage milk/lower
percentage foam & the "dry" cappucino - the opposite - more foam, less milk.

In a coffee bar they won't sweeten unless you ask them to, or you're
ordering a sweetened drink recipe. Bottled Frappucino - definitely
addictive and sweet.

The things you can learn as a barista. So, I drink cappucinos because it's
a little less "milky" than a latte.

ellice