Home again.

Old June 27th 07, 02:52 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

Default OT: SPAM

me wrote:
My other half was raised on similar cooking.. My cooking is not the
"coronary blue plate special" (I am originally from the Northeast US
and of strong celtic-irish heritage, and not at all prone to
traditional "southern" cooking)...

It took him a very long time to adjust to not having everything fried
in lard, with "milk gravy" on top.... (I still have no use for "milk
gravy", "grits", or okra, which is one vegetable I abominate the
texture of).

We had a period early on where I kept finding all sorts of "crumbs" in
the car... Apparently he was stopping every morning on his way to
work, and getting his morning's ration of BLEACHED FLOUR, SUGAR and
LARD at the Krispy-Kreme (y-u-c-k)..... Yum, Yum. Animal fat,
over-processed flour and over-processed sugar (ew).

You can try to stop them from "eating themselves to death" when they
are off on their own.. It does not always work, but you can try.. It
took me over a year and a half to put a stop to his morning grease
brigade.

I send him to work nowdays with a muffin for his breakfast at work
(bran with "light" cream cheese), and for his lunch a fresh salad...
Lettuce, tomatoes, celery, and usually white meat chicken, with a low
fat dressing (plain yogurt based).. As far as I know, he no longer
"cheats" when he is out of my sight.

A friend commented that I should trade him in on two 25 year olds, and
I responded that would be no bargain IMHO.... I finally got him broken
in, and I did not fancy having to start over from scratch with whole
new sets of bad habits (lol)..

I feel my liver curling and my arteries clanging shut at the very
thought... Sounds like deep fried fat with lard spread on it!

Unfortunately, despite a pretty healthy diet (home cooked and fairly
lean on the fats and processed stuff) and plenty of exercise throughout
his life, my dad died at 53 from a heart attack. His younger brother
also died early with similar problems, as did their father...

I'm doing my best for James!

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old June 27th 07, 10:38 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Donna in NE La.[_2_]

Default Home again.

I usually just lurk but had to reply to this. LOL I grew up in northwest
Florida and we had potted meat in our house. Potted meat and crackers for a
snack--yum!! LOL

--
Donna in NE La.
"ellice" wrote in message
On 6/24/07 12:00 PM, "ravenlynne" wrote:

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff
referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

Old June 27th 07, 11:16 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

me wrote:

Errr.. Yes americans certainly do called potted meat, "potted meat"..

Yep. There was always potted meat in our pantry when I was a kid.
Vile stuff..lol

I think that must be a reginoal language idiom. In all the places I've
lived in tha states, never, ever heard canned, processed meat stuff referred
to as Potted Meat. But, I knew what was being referred to because of my
time living in the UK. So, perhaps us New York, DC, even Florida East
Coasters, don't use that phrase. Never heard it in NM, either.

ellice

As a public service, I submit to you:
http://www.pk.org/pottedmeat.html

With a lovely picture of the various potted meat products offered to the
American consumer.

How lovely. However, it is entirely likely and probable that some of these
products are regional in their offering. I never doubted anyone else in
other places hearing the phrase, just know that in the areas where I've
lived it wasn't used. And I have never seen in the grocery store in any of
those places something labelled "potted meat" . I have seen Vienna
Sausages, and SPAM - but not with "potted meat" on the label.

ellice

Old June 27th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Bruce

Donna in NE La. wrote:
I usually just lurk but had to reply to this. LOL I grew up in northwest
Florida and we had potted meat in our house. Potted meat and crackers for a
snack--yum!! LOL

If you were really, really hungry then potted meat and crackers would be
appreciated. However, my preference would be for tripe and onions.
--
Bruce Fletcher
Stronsay, Orkney
Old June 27th 07, 11:32 PM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
ellice

On 6/26/07 6:25 PM, "Katherine" wrote:

On Jun 26, 3:16 pm, Karen C - California wrote:
Katherine wrote:
Yepper! Which is why home cooking is better. You can regulate what
goes
into the meal.

Absolutely. But you can't regulate what goes into the husband when he's
not home.

When we first got married, I was puzzled how he could be gaining weight
on what I was feeding him. Then I found out. On his way to work, he
supplemented my healthy breakfast with a 600-calorie muffin slathered
with butter. He topped off the low-cal lunch I packed with a bucket of
the Colonel's finest. After a low-fat dinner, he'd run an errand by way
of either Dunkin Donuts or the ice cream shop.

It's not that I'm a bad cook, it's that I don't cook the way his mother
did (with lots of salt, lots of fried food, gravy on everything) and my
healthy meals made him feel "deprived".

OK, how long have you been married to m y Keith? g
I remember one summer when he swore that he wasn't eating anything
but what I prepared and he kept gaining weight. Turns out he was
DRINKING a minimum of two iced cappucinos every day!

Higs,
Katherine

Hey, the cappucino's won't do anything - they're just milk and some
expresso. But, the extra junk if it's full of syrup, etc - that'll drive
the calorie count way up.

Ellice

Old June 28th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Kathleen

Katherine wrote:

[...]

I worked for a couple of architects who owned a tiny firm. Them, an
apprentice and me. Swenson's (an ice cream shop) opened up downstairs.
Afternoon malts quickly became a semi-weekly tradition. Although it
was the partners' treat I quickly realized that no good could come of
this and switched my own order to a blueberry phosphate with *lots* of
ice and seltzer. The guys stuck to their large hand-scooped chocolate
malts.

By about Labor Day, the three of them were bemoaning the extra notches
in their belts and were dumbfounded when I pointed out that their
Swenson's habit added an extra 3000 calories to their weekly intake.
They dropped the malted milk monkey and with no further effort, lost
their big bellies within about 6 weeks (I hate guys sometimes).

Old June 28th 07, 03:23 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Spike Driver

Katherine wrote:

[...]

We can't help it Kathleen.
Dennis
Old June 28th 07, 03:47 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
spampot[_2_]

Katherine wrote:
[...]

The iced cappuccinos are usually sweetened, though.
Old June 28th 07, 04:23 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
CypSew

Default OT: Home again.

Now you're talking, Bruce! Except we "Texans" call it Menudo(may-nu-doe).
My brother had lived a number of years in NM and W TX, and when he was dying
in Meridian, MS several years ago, I took large containers over there to him
with enough to share with the nurses. Then one day, I stopped at a
restaurant near the hospital and found the owner's son-in-law was from the
interior of Mexico and made the best menudo we'd tasted in many years. My
Mother knew how to fix it and I have no idea of how/where she got the
recipe, but the taste was perfect. She grew up, lived & died in mid-S MS,
the area we call "The Oil Capital of the South." And no, it isn't good for
a person to eat on a regular basis, but a treat ever so often. I haven't
eaten any since my brother's death.
BTW, I told my DS, a nurse practitioner, & his wife, a pharmacist, about
this discussion and they laughed and said, "We've bought it at the Post
Exchange in both MD and SC. He and wife are actually "real health-food
addicts", most of the time, but eat a small can ever so often to remind
themselves of their childhood. I thought that was hilarious, knowing her
propensity for eating healthy. However, they don't give it to DGD. Nor do
either of them eat menudo.
Emily

Old June 28th 07, 04:34 AM posted to alt.sewing,rec.crafts.textiles.needlework,rec.crafts.textiles.yarn
Katherine

On Jun 26, 9:59 pm, Karen C - California wrote:
Katherine wrote:
OK, how long have you been married to m y Keith? g
I remember one summer when he swore that he wasn't eating anything
but what I prepared and he kept gaining weight. Turns out he was
DRINKING a minimum of two iced cappucinos every day!

Well, he was telling the truth. He wasn't EATING anything.

LOL True!

Higs,
Katherine