Looking for a boys trouser pattern

Old May 26th 04, 12:38 PM
Chris & Karen

Default Looking for a boys trouser pattern

I'm looking for a trouser pattern for my 6 year old boy (he's only small
though). It needs to be fairly fitted and flat across the front. I will
probably use a stretch fabric because he will be dancing in them (irish
dancing). Any suggestions?

I have used McCall's 2639 for the last pair and they are too baggy..

Thanks,
Karen;

Old May 27th 04, 01:26 AM
Debi Rilea

You can always alter the pattern that you have. When using stretch fabric
you need to work with a smaller pattern, so you would fold the pattern
pieces in the middle, like you would to make darts, only just in the pattern
and not the actual fabric.

Just a thought!

Debi

www.debeesdesign.com

Old May 27th 04, 03:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Wed, 26 May 2004 21:38:39 +1000, Chris & Karen wrote:
I'm looking for a trouser pattern for my 6 year old boy (he's only small
though). It needs to be fairly fitted and flat across the front. I will
probably use a stretch fabric because he will be dancing in them (irish
dancing). Any suggestions?

I'd probably drag out the KwikSew Sewing for Children master patterns,
or look for a KS pattern that suits.

Old May 27th 04, 12:15 PM
Joy Hardie

Karen wrote:
I'm looking for a trouser pattern for my 6 year old boy (he's only small
though). It needs to be fairly fitted and flat across the front. I will
probably use a stretch fabric because he will be dancing in them (irish
dancing). Any suggestions?

I have used McCall's 2639 for the last pair and they are too baggy..

Hi Karen,
I do sewing for Ice Skaters and their pants might be
similar....maybe? Theirs are quite often made of a heavy, polyester
double knit or tricot. It looks, drapes etc. like beautiful pants but
has the give needed for all the movement. You can get it from
Skatedesign or others....I know that many moms order it from the back
of the skating magazines if they don't get it from the vendors at the
ice competitions. Does the Irish Dancing world have vendors like
that....if not, then try the dancing or skating magazines.
Skatedesign also has a pattern that is cut for skaters ....trim so it
isn't baggy and get caught in the footwork. Or, you could just cut
the excess out of the leg like mentioned earlier.
Joy Hardie

Old May 27th 04, 01:51 PM
Chris & Karen

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. They have given me some worthwhile suggestions.

I'm in Australia and ice skating is not very big where I am but I will try
and check out the dancing shops.

Yes, we do have vendors but they mostly sell shoes, socks, dresses, ready
made stuff. Is Skatedesign in the US?
There is an Irish dance magazine - I will check it out more closely. I have
also seen dancing magazines at the newsagent but I did not look inside them
at all.

Thanks again for the help,
Karen.

Old May 27th 04, 11:17 PM
JKLooney

Kwik Sew has both a lycra/stretch shorts pattern (could make longer?), and a
unisex wetsuit pattern that you alter (#2888 & 2336 US numbers) - They come
with master patterns that can be "trace altered" easily... my son is two
sizes taller than he is wide, and by tracing width first, then height in
larger size, been very successful and have them fit well. Check here on
www.kwiksew.com under Children Boy_Swim_Activewear

Good Luck - JKLooney

Old May 28th 04, 02:19 PM

Looking for a boys trouser pattern

JKLooney---
(Tried to email you to take this off-line.)
Please email me; (Genealogy--any info or need info? We have Looneys
in the family line, emigrated from the Isle of Man.)
Cea
---
(JKLooney)
Kwik Sew has both a lycra/stretch shorts pattern (could make longer?),
and a unisex wetsuit pattern that you alter (#2888 & 2336 US numbers) -
They come with master patterns that can be "trace altered" easily... my
son is two sizes taller than he is wide, and by tracing width first,
then height in larger size, been very successful and have them fit well.
=A0 Check here on