Need camouflage fabric

Old July 15th 03, 12:58 AM
AliceW

Default Need camouflage fabric

I am looking for a place to purchase desert camouflage fabric to make neck
coolers for soldiers still overseas. I've looked online but can only find
poly/cotton or canvas jungle camo - these have to be made from the desert
camo - the shades of tans and browns. Any online site would be appreciated.

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"

Old July 15th 03, 01:30 AM
AliceW

I found that site in my search too, Carl. But I need 100% cotton and this
site has poly/cotton. But thanks for looking for me. Don't you love the
camo-sheep on that site - too cute!

--
Alice in NJ
RCTQ - "Royal Cybrarian"
www.ourcyberfamily.us
"Friendship make prosperity more shining and lessens adversity by dividing
and sharing it."
Cicero (106 BC - 43 BC)

"Carl Ebert" wrote in message
On 7/14/03 4:58 PM, in article

,
"AliceW" wrote:

I am looking for a place to purchase desert camouflage fabric to make

neck
coolers for soldiers still overseas. I've looked online but can only

find
poly/cotton or canvas jungle camo - these have to be made from the

desert
camo - the shades of tans and browns. Any online site would be

appreciated.
Try this http://www.vtarmynavy.com/camo_material_and_fabrics.htm

Carl
------------
Thou shalt use thine scraps to make quilts for charity, so that those

less
fortunate may know they joy of sleeping beneath a quilt.

Old July 15th 03, 01:34 AM
Ronnie Wexler

I've seen it at Hancocks (not Paducah), not too long ago. You might
want to go to their website and inqui http://www.hancockfabrics.com

Ronnie

Old July 15th 03, 03:24 AM
Polly Esther

What in the world is a neck cooler? They can't exactly fill them with peas
and toss them in the deep freeze. Polly

Old July 15th 03, 01:07 PM
AliceW

I found out about these from the link to the Stash Organizer forms that was
recently posted on the ng. Thought the neck coolers were a better use of my
time!

They are bandanas that are filled with those crystals that farmers and
gardeners use to retain water in the soil. They swell up to 200 their
original size and when soaked in cool water, they provide cooling to the
skin where ever they are applied. I have seen them used for horses too.
There is a program out of Florida which is spear heading the supply of these
and other hand made items (slippers, etc) to the soldiers. You can get 7
neck coolers out of 1 yard of fabric. I have the crystals on order and
should be here in 3 days. Now I just need to find the fabric.

My son will get the first few I make since he is a master painter at a body
shop and the temps in the paint room can reach 110 degrees, plus he wears a
tyvek suit and respirator when painting. I thought he could use a few of
these coolers too.

You can read more about these ties and the "Ships Project" he
http://organizedhome.com/sewing/sewsimple/cooltie.html

Click on the link for "Ships Project" to read more about this project.

Old July 15th 03, 06:05 PM
Donna in Idaho

My LQS is selling these neck coolers now. When they tried to sell me one, I
told them I'd been making them for a couple years. They acted like they
didn't believe that I could have bought the crystals!! I guess they thought
whoever they're buying them from as an exclusive market for the crystals.
The crystals are readily available at a good garden supply store.
--
Donna in Idaho!
Project Linus Boise/SW Idaho Coordinator

The ultimate inspiration is the deadline!

Old July 15th 03, 08:07 PM
Pat in Virginia

Donna: A few years ago I think you and I were making some of
these for our families. Yes? Well, mine were a major waste of
time and fabric. I made two and gave them to DH and DS to test
while doing yard work. They did not stay damp for more than 20
minutes, and were never really cool. I did use a garden aqua
absorb or some such. What did you use? TIA.
PAT in VA/USA

Donna in Idaho wrote:

Voice of experience here - - don't put too many crystals in the cooler. The
crystals will be popping out between the stitches in the seam if you do!
--
Donna in Idaho!

Old July 15th 03, 11:07 PM
AliceW

Thanks for the hints. I am going to use my DH and DS as guinea pigs. I saw
one pattern that called for lining the pocket area with light-weight,
nonwoven iron-on Pellon to avoid having the stuff squish through. I am
using Watersorb which is what the Ships Project pattern recommended. It
should be here any day now, but I still can't find the desert camo fabric in
100% cotton. I will use a solid tan if I have to, which is an alternate
color choice.

wrote:

I am looking for a place to purchase desert camouflage fabric to

make
neck
coolers for soldiers still overseas. I've looked online but can

only
find
poly/cotton or canvas jungle camo - these have to be made from the
desert
camo - the shades of tans and browns. Any online site would be
appreciated.

Qsnaps vs. Scroll which is better? morendorff Needlework 18 February 12th 04 04:08 AM
Fabrics & free shipping on Quanities joan Marketplace 0 December 6th 03 07:12 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM