don't eat the escolar!

Old July 12th 03, 07:38 PM
Dr. Quilter

Default don't eat the escolar!

On the 4th I went to a nice restaurant here in Seattle, and ordered the
escolar with greens. Turns out it is also called the ExLax fish, and boy
is that name right! Within an hour of eating it I thought I was
dying.... good thing is it goes away as soon as it appears, after you
hit the bath. After a little on-line research, I emailed the restaurant
who claims they know about it and still chose to serve it, but in
smaller portions. Obviously that didn't make a difference in my case. It
has oils that we cannot digest, so for some people it just goes through,
like a naturally occurring Olestra. Thing is, they didn't even sound
concerned or apologetic...not even when I told them I was pregnant, in
fact they said that is probably why I was so sensitive to it (bull, I
seem to be one of those blessed women that will sail through this
without any morning sickness, maybe related to the fact that I don't
know what a menstrual cramp is, I know, half of you hate me by now).
Even if I worded my message very nicely and told them it was a heads up,
not a complaint, I was expecting some kind of offer or something..
instead they basically tell me it is kind of my fault... weird, uh?...
--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old July 12th 03, 10:05 PM
Nurse Ratched

Even if I worded my message very nicely and told them it was a heads up,
not a complaint, I was expecting some kind of offer or something..
instead they basically tell me it is kind of my fault... weird, uh?..

Perhaps hearing the same message from the health department or the state agency
that regulates restaurants might get their attention. Or, you could just "play
crazy" (as my ex- used to call it) and pretend you have no idea what caused
your "food poisoning" when you complain to the health department.

Nurse Ratched (remove "cuckoo" from address to reply)
We'll all get back to normal if we put our nation first,
But the trouble with "normal" is, it always gets worse. ~Bruce Cockburn
Old July 12th 03, 11:34 PM
Ronnie Wexler

That is exactly what I was thinking. Report them. There's a whole
host of g.i. ailments that could make eating that stuff a serious
problem.

I also never had morning sickness with either of mine (heartburn was
another thing, later on), and I had cramps for days. I think it is
just the luck of the draw!

Ronnie

Old July 13th 03, 07:05 PM
Dr. Quilter

it is not an outbreak, in the sense that it is not an infectious thing,
just the inability to digest the fat on this fish...

MB wrote:
Your post had me do a search and came up with this interesting
site...apparently is
is a new type of outbreak....well, last Sept. anyway.---well...I kept
reading and apparently for several years!!!.!!!
and a quote from that article..."People with bowel problems, malabsorption
or pregnancy may be at increased risk of diarrhoea because of eating escolar
.
http://www.health.gov.au/pubhlth/cdi...l/cdi2603i.htm
Anyway...thanks for the warning!!!...first i'd ever heard of it!!!...Mary

Old July 14th 03, 01:24 AM
MB

Well...the Australian health dept called it that..so that's why I said it
too...
From Aust. Health DEpt.:-- The investigation identified an outbreak of
gastrointestinal disease caused by the consumption of escolar.

Old July 15th 03, 05:40 AM
Dr. Quilter

mmm, I think I was looking at that australian site too. I just thought
outbreak referred to something contagious, but in this case it is not
really that...

MB wrote:
Well...the Australian health dept called it that..so that's why I said it
too...
From Aust. Health DEpt.:-- The investigation identified an outbreak of