O.T. Storm just missed us

Old August 26th 07, 02:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Laity Price

Default O.T. Storm just missed us

Thursday afternoon a storm passed within blocks of our house. We lost
power at 3:30 Thursday afternoon. It returned at 3 a.m. Friday
morning. The neighbors across the street are still without power.
Thankfully we have never switched from DSL to cable internet service
because the cable is out.

The official report is that a tornado passed over us but did not touch
ground. The tops of the tallest old trees were twisted and removed.
The only houses damaged were those hit by trees. Many of these trees
are at least 100 years old so it is sad to see them damaged. Many will
have to be taken completely down.

At one point they said 500,000 customers in Chicago were without
power. Now there is less than 100,000 without power but this includes
many businesses. Restaurants must throw away even the food in their
freezers and have an inspection by the health department because the
power has been off so long. The line at the post office was out the
door because the two nearest post offices were closed.

I went to ACE Hardware this afternoon to purchase more plastic storage
containers for my fabric. The store was open even though they did not
have power. Each shopper had to be personally escorted into the store
by an employee with a flashlight. Once you chose your item the
employee wrote down the information off the shelf tag. The "register"
was a hand held calculator. They were only taking charge cards, no
cash. Business was brisk. Most people were buying things to repair the
storm damage.

The quilt store where I teach was in the direct line of the storm.
Those at the store during the storm said it was very frightening.
There was no damage to the store but their power did not come on until
this morning. I spent this afternoon at the store helping to finish
the kits that were scheduled to be made Thursday evening and Friday.

Thursday evening I stitched on a redwork project by candlelight. We
made sure everything was off the floor of my studio just in case water
came in but all is dry. We are very thankful that all is well here at
our house.

Susan

Old August 26th 07, 03:12 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
polly esther

We are grateful that you have reported in, Susan, and that all is well at
your home. We were watching that storm and very concerned for your
safe-keeping. Prayers answered. Polly

Old August 26th 07, 07:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

So glad all is reasonably well for you Susan.
We have seen some of the effects of the storms you are having, on our
News broadcasts. They look very scary.
Keep safe everyone in threatened areas.
..
In message , Susan Laity
Price writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 26th 07, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Susan Laity Price wrote:
Thursday afternoon a storm passed within blocks of our house. We lost
power at 3:30 Thursday afternoon. It returned at 3 a.m. Friday
morning. The neighbors across the street are still without power.
Thankfully we have never switched from DSL to cable internet service
because the cable is out.

When I lived on the west coast I used to see the pictures in the
papers and on tv relating to the central States wind storms and not
think anything about them. Then I moved back here and experienced them
first hand and now I have great respect for these things. A straight
line wind storm came thru the area of central Ohio where we live, and
did incredible damage, took out about 1000 trees, and took off roofs,
and otherwise made a mess of things. These bad boys are not to be
taken lightly. Glad you "weathered the storm".

John

Old August 26th 07, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Karen, Queen of Squishies

Oh Susan, how frightening, and how thankful we are that you are okay!

Karen, Queen of Squishies

Old August 26th 07, 02:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lotsoflavender

Really good news that you were missed by the storm.......isn't it amazing
how dependant we are on power. Our whole lives are run by it.

In our last black out, the neighbours were complaining that they couldn't
cook a meal or have a cuppa. We go camping so we had all the gear so we had
battery-run fluro lights on and the kettle boiling in no time on the gas
camp stove. But it doesn't take much time before the system grinds to a
holt as our floods in New South Wales and Victoria showed when the power was
out for weeks in some places.

Another time I had been sewing when we lost power, I thought, what on earth
am I going to do now? I know.....I'll do the ironing !!! It took at least
5 seconds for me to realize what I had just said ;o)

Wendy in NSW

Old August 26th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

John -- where in central OH are you? I have family in Columbus (I lived
there for 10 years)!

--
Kate in MI

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old August 26th 07, 02:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate G.[_2_]

Glad to hear you are okay.

My DS and I spent an hour in the basement Friday evening... as the sirens
were going all around us (first Tornado warning... then emergency rescue).
Seems like the bulk of the damage was about 15 miles north east of us. We
have some limbs in the yard to haul away (need to wait for hubby to get his
chainsaw going -- too big for me and DS to cart on our own.)

Boy -- when Mother Nature gets her dander up... she sure can make a mess!

--
Kate in MI

Old August 26th 07, 04:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Susan Torrens

Glad to hear that you escaped undamaged! After going through one hurricane,
many years ago, I really understand how devastating it can be. We were a
year in recovery, but it gave us a new outlook on "stuff"!

--
Susan in Kingston ON
back to quilting, as usual

Old August 26th 07, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Susan Laity Price wrote:

Thursday afternoon a storm passed within blocks of our house.

I'm glad to hear that you're alright, Susan! Whew!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)