Newbie Questions

Old July 28th 03, 03:50 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Default Newbie Questions

Hi the

I'm new here, but a regular over at rec.crafts.textiles.quilting. I
need some advice please.

I'd like to know where are some reliable places to buy counted cross
stitch (kits) online. I'm specifically looking for an elaborate
sampler (wall hanging) and something beautiful for Halloween. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Cynthia
Old July 28th 03, 04:56 PM
Dr. Brat

Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:
Hi the

I'm new here, but a regular over at rec.crafts.textiles.quilting. I
need some advice please.

I'd like to know where are some reliable places to buy counted cross
stitch (kits) online. I'm specifically looking for an elaborate
sampler (wall hanging) and something beautiful for Halloween. Any
suggestions?

Here's my suggestion for something beautiful for Halloween:
http://www.lavenderwings.com/witchesdance.gif

An elaborate sampler? Hmmmm, how about one of these:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/In...ny_s_quilt.htm
http://www.drawnthread.com/OpenHeart.html
http://www.drawnthread.com/MarriageofMinds.html
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Pe...en_sampler.htm

As for where to get it on line, my first choice is always Kim at
Fabrics2u.com. A close second would be the Silver Needle at
www.thesilverneedle.com. This second one is definitely my favorite
place to drool, as they have an oft-updated "just arrived" page. As you
can see, Wynham needleworks is also a pretty cool place to wander
around, but I can't comment on their service, as I have never bought
from them. They probably have the most extensive collection of
traditional sampler type works, thought.

Elizabeth
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*barnacle-encrusted bitch~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Old July 28th 03, 04:58 PM
emerald

"Jacquard_The_Ripper" wrote
I'd like to know where are some reliable places to buy counted cross
stitch (kits) online. I'm specifically looking for an elaborate
sampler (wall hanging) and something beautiful for Halloween. Any
suggestions?

You didn't say in which country you live or if any particular style appeals
to you, but here are a few names:
http://www.pawprintscrossstitch.com/ in Ohio;
http://www.salt-and-pepper.com/ in Texas
http://www.sewandso.co.uk/ in the UK
http://www.fabrics2u.com/
http://www.elegantstitch.com/ in California
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/ in Connecticut

In addition, most of these places will do special orders from Hoffman
Distributing www.hoffmandis.com (which is basically "pattern central"!) and
will often "kit up" (gather the supplies) for you too.

Not affiliated etc etc and hope this helps.

emerald

Old July 28th 03, 05:29 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Hi the

Yes, I guess I omitted some information that might be relevant. I'm
in Western Canada, but I don't mind buying internationally for
something beautiful.

In samplers, what I meant was traditional looking ones, and large.
I've looked through a few sites, and so far, I like Moira Blackburn's
stuff the best other than some ones made by Permin. It doesn't have
to be an exact replica of an old one, just that idea, with rows of
different things.

My mother has been getting catalogues from "The Stitchery" for
years--are they reliable?

Also, what's the difference between 16- and 18-count?

Thanks,
Cynthia

Old July 28th 03, 05:32 PM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Here's my suggestion for something beautiful for Halloween:
http://www.lavenderwings.com/witchesdance.gif

An elaborate sampler? Hmmmm, how about one of these:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/In...ny_s_quilt.htm
http://www.drawnthread.com/OpenHeart.html
http://www.drawnthread.com/MarriageofMinds.html
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Pe...en_sampler.htm

As for where to get it on line, my first choice is always Kim at
Fabrics2u.com. A close second would be the Silver Needle at
www.thesilverneedle.com.

Thank you so much. I'm so glad I came here. This is exactly what I
was talking about. What wonderful links.

Cynthia
Old July 28th 03, 07:24 PM
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen

Jacquard_The_Ripper wrote:

Here's my suggestion for something beautiful for Halloween:
http://www.lavenderwings.com/witchesdance.gif

An elaborate sampler? Hmmmm, how about one of these:
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/In...ny_s_quilt.htm
http://www.drawnthread.com/OpenHeart.html
http://www.drawnthread.com/MarriageofMinds.html
http://www.wyndhamneedleworks.com/Pe...en_sampler.htm

These are *gorgeous* samplers, but does anyone besides me get frustrated
at the photos that don't show the words clearly? To me, what the words
say is just as - or maybe even more - important than the colors or the
stitches. And in the details at the side, it wouldn't take much for the
designers to type in the words of what the samplers say. (Some designers
do that, but not the majority!)

Sue

--
Susan Hartman/Dirty Linen
The Magazine of Folk and World Music

Old July 29th 03, 02:01 AM
Jacquard_The_Ripper

Welcome to a fellow Western Canadian! How far west are you? I'm on Vancouver
Island

The number of stitches per inch: 16 and 18 respectively. So the larger the
number of stitches per inch, the smaller the finished design.
If you are interested in stitching a sampler, you may find some of them
unsuitable for aida fabric and be better off trying something else such as
linen, lugana, jubilee, jobelan etc.

A really good place to get some info is Kathy Dyer's page:
http://users.rcn.com/kdyer.dnai/

Hi emerald:

I'm in Calgary. I could tell you all about quilting, but where's the
best place here for cross stitch supplies?

Cynthia
Old July 29th 03, 03:26 AM
Dannielle Beitzell

Hello Cynthia! I'm also an RCTQer....welcome to the other half of my world!
;-)

--
Dannielle from NY
http://www.beitzell.com/dannielle/index.htm

Old July 29th 03, 03:35 AM
JAKL

I'd like to know where are some reliable places to buy counted cross
stitch (kits) online.

My absolute favorite online (and also has a physical store in Michigan.... if I
could ever get there) shop: www.stitchesnthings.com The ladies here are
wonderful!!

Another very nice place - and this one I've been to their brick & mortar store
as well - www.debsstitchery.com They're in western Kentucky.

And of course there's always www.herrschners.com or www.nordicneedle.com

Jenn L.
View My Webshots: http://community.webshots.com/user/jaliace
Current projects:
Chicago Skyline (The Needlecraftsman)
Lady of the Flag (Mirabilia)
Old July 31st 03, 03:17 AM
Boohoo1971

I'm specifically looking for an elaborate
sampler (wall hanging) and something beautiful for Halloween. Any
suggestions?

Cynthia, first go to www.hoffmandis.com
This is a site that is very user friendly and has a fantastic number of
pictures of charts and kits. When you get there click on "on line reference
catalog" on the left then when you get there click on "keyword" and then enter
Halloween in the box. You can not order from them, but get the reference
number and the name of the company that printed it, and I would get the name of
the chart, and a LNS can order it for you.

Now, for a super on line shop...there are a lot of good ones, but this is the
one I like...again a user friendly site and the owner is very prompt and
carries a lot of stuff there. She could order it if she doesn't have it. On
Lydia's site she has on the left a list of things, check "charts" and you will
get a list of the chart companies she carries. Maybe your pick from Hoffmandis
might be there. Have fun, Boo