OT - Hot Apples Recipe Request

Old December 20th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT - Hot Apples Recipe Request

I am serving pork for Christmas Eve dinner this year. I'd like to pair
it with something other than applesauce. I was thinking hot apples. If
you've ever had the hot apples at Boston Market that is what I am
talking about. Sliced and in a warm gooey cinammon syrup. The apples
are so soft from baking. Anyone have an already tried and true recipe?

THANKS!
Melissa in NJ

Old December 20th 05, 05:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

one idea -- use Thank You pie filling -- add to a baking dish and warm it
up. My family has always loved it right out of the can -- although you
could add a little sugar and cinnamon if you wish!

Kate in MI

oups.com...

Old December 20th 05, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

could look cute wrapped in pastry too, just a small ornament size pinched up
around the apple mixture. hmmmmm. what to tie around the top, hmmmm, strips
of roasted red or green peppers could work, they are sweet when roasted so
should be just about right. just thinking outloud now, sorry
we have a big leg of pork on the day too, this might work here too.
i'll have to check with dh on that. hes the chief cook, i'm the bottle
washer here, lol.
might be nice with apples, a few cranberrys for colour, some walnuts too and
a teensy wee bit of orange rind perhaps. thinking, thinking, thinking.
scrummy. its not rocket science so will just play and see what its like.
cheers,
jeanne
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Melissa in NJ" wrote...

Old December 20th 05, 09:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On 20 Dec 2005 09:13:44 -0800, "Melissa in NJ"
wrote:

I am serving pork for Christmas Eve dinner this year. I'd like to pair
it with something other than applesauce. I was thinking hot apples. If
you've ever had the hot apples at Boston Market that is what I am
talking about. Sliced and in a warm gooey cinammon syrup. The apples
are so soft from baking. Anyone have an already tried and true recipe?

THANKS!
Melissa in NJ

I saw something in an Amish cookbook years ago - basically you peel
and core an apple, roll it in a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon,
then place it on a square of pie crust - 8" square maybe? - and pull
the crust up around it until it's covered. Place these parcels on a
baking sheet in the oven. Don't cook them as long as a pie - maybe 30
minutes or so. Poke with a skewer or long toothpick to see if the
middle is done. The recipe was called "apple dumplings" and they are
gorgeous. Every time I make them, they are well received!

-- Jo in Scotland
Old December 20th 05, 09:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Try them with mincemeat in the core space, Jo!
..
In message , Johanna Gibson
writes
I saw something in an Amish cookbook years ago - basically you peel
and core an apple, roll it in a mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon,
then place it on a square of pie crust - 8" square maybe? - and pull
the crust up around it until it's covered. Place these parcels on a
baking sheet in the oven. Don't cook them as long as a pie - maybe 30
minutes or so. Poke with a skewer or long toothpick to see if the
middle is done. The recipe was called "apple dumplings" and they are
gorgeous. Every time I make them, they are well received!

-- Jo in Scotland

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old December 21st 05, 02:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I don't really measure this, but I cut up the apples in chunks peeling and
al, into a fry pan that I sprayed with Pam. Add about 1/2 inch water, 1 cup
sugar, a few sprinkles of cinnamon, smaller amount of cloves, maybe some
maple pancake syrup and cook about 20 - 30 minutes. Spoon out some to cool
and taste, and then add more cinnamon if needed. If you want the apples
almost sticky sweet, add more sugar and continue cooking another 15 minutes.
HTH
Barbara in SC

Old December 21st 05, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I have an old recipe we used to love with pork. I keep meaning to try it
again with roast chicken. Anyway, if I'm remembering correctly, it's
apples sliced into rounds, sauteed in butter and finished off with
whiskey. Yummy. If it sounds like a possibility, I'll be glad to find it
for you.

--Heidi

Plattsburgh (UPstate) NY

http://community.webshots.com/user/rabbit2b

===

Old December 21st 05, 05:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 02:30:48 GMT, "Bobbie Sews Moore"
wrote:

I don't really measure this, but I cut up the apples in chunks peeling and
al, into a fry pan that I sprayed with Pam. Add about 1/2 inch water, 1 cup
sugar, a few sprinkles of cinnamon, smaller amount of cloves, maybe some
maple pancake syrup and cook about 20 - 30 minutes. Spoon out some to cool
and taste, and then add more cinnamon if needed. If you want the apples
almost sticky sweet, add more sugar and continue cooking another 15 minutes.
HTH
Barbara in SC

This recipe uses less sugar, my great gramma used to make them like
this without the bacon fat and with a couple of shakes of cinnamon.

NightMist
that up north Barbara

http://members.amaonline.com/nrogers...les-recipe.htm

PA Dutch Fried Apples

6 lg. tart apples
2 tbsp. bacon fat
2 tbsp. butter
1/2 to 3/4 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 c. water

Wash apples, partially peel, quarter and core. Slice fairly thick.
Heat fat and butter in heavy iron skillet; add apples, water, and
sugar. Cover and steam apples on high heat about 6 minutes. Remove top
and continue frying (lower the heat some) until apples are tender and
transparent looking. The syrup should be thick enough to want to jell
by the time the apples are done. The juice of 1/2 lemon may be used.
After pouring them into a serving dish, add another pat or two of
butter on top. The apple skins add to flavor and color of this dish.
Serves 4 to 6.

--
"To repeat what others have said, requires education; to challenge
it, requires brains." -Mary Pettibone Poole
Old December 21st 05, 01:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I'm making a ham glazed with orange marmalade - scalloped potatoes, squaw
pudding and biscuits. No one likes sweet taters but me so I'm skipping them
this year. Everything done in the oven so I can sit and visit with family
and friends and then served buffet style. Dessert is pecan pie of course.
I have lots of christmas cookies and left over chex mix for snacking.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \

Old December 21st 05, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I ofen slice apples..sprinkle w/ cinn/sugar and microwave a bit. I think
one Empire apple...one minute.
Anyway....I call it my diet apple pie !!...but often serve it with pork as a
side dish--and much
better than anything out of a can.
Mary

glas FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 0 October 16th 03 07:50 PM
Glaze FAQs Tom Buck Pottery 1 September 18th 03 04:16 PM
glaze FAQ's Tom Buck Pottery 0 August 18th 03 01:26 AM