Fusible batting - HQ?

Old November 2nd 03, 11:08 AM
A Joy in Hawaii

Default Fusible batting - HQ?

Has anyone ever hand quilted a quilt using fusible batting? I read a
bunch of past posts saying it's not recommended, it's stiff, and the
(machine) needle gets sticky (when MQing)...but I wanted to know if
any of you REBELS out there tried to HQ with it yet. My mom's Singer
hates me and my Kenmore is not here *sniffle sniffle*. I bought a
hoop and am really DYING to hand-quilt something. Should I chance it
or hand-baste as usual? TIA for your advice and help!

A Joy in Hawaii
Old November 2nd 03, 04:19 PM
Shstringfellow

Has anyone ever hand quilted a quilt using fusible batting? I read a
bunch of past posts saying it's not recommended, it's stiff, and the
(machine) needle gets sticky (when MQing).

I never hand quilted using it, but I just finished a stained glass/fusible bias
angel wallhanging using it with machine quilting and had absolutely no problem
with it.
SueS
Old November 2nd 03, 04:55 PM
Butterfly

Why not try a lil section and see how it does. Am thinking if it gets a
bit gummy you could always wipe your needle with a bit of rubbing
alcohol. That should clean the needle up very quickly
Let us know
Butterfly

Old November 2nd 03, 06:43 PM
Dr. Quilter

tip from my bias tape class, which used fusible batting for the top. get
those alcohol swabs from Cotsco (I can get them at the lab) to wipe the
gunk off your needle as you go...

--
Dr. Quilter
Ambassador of Extraordinary Aliens

Old November 2nd 03, 06:46 PM
Lucy

I'm a newbie poster, and haven't officially de-lurked, but I had to reply to
this one!!
I just finished hand quilting a queen size quilt using fusible batting. Oy!
It all sounded like a good idea when I first started... and by the time I
realized what a bad idea it was, I was far enough along that I didn't want
to rip it out. I only broke a couple needles... but you can't really get
small stitches (not sure how picky you are about your quilting stitches).
And as the quilt gets moved around in the hoop, the fusing comes undone (I
would imagine if you have a big floor frame, this might not be a problem).
You can iron it and re-stick it, but it's still a pain. So if you have a
crib quilt or smaller, I'd say fusible is a great idea... anything bigger
and I won't use it again. And I sure as heck won't hand quilt it again! I
had to use finger cots or a finger from a rubber dishwasing glove to grab
the needle and pull it through.

So I'd try it on a small piece to see if you want to hand quilt a full
project! If you do decide to HQ it, let me know if you have a similar
experience!

:-)
Lucy

om...

Old November 2nd 03, 07:09 PM
Patti

Hullo Joy
I haven't hand quilted with it either; but, the Hobbs I have is very
fine and I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem. And, if you're
hand quilting, it is that much easier to wipe the needle occasionally!!
..
In article , A Joy in
Hawaii writes
Has anyone ever hand quilted a quilt using fusible batting? I read a
bunch of past posts saying it's not recommended, it's stiff, and the
(machine) needle gets sticky (when MQing)...but I wanted to know if
any of you REBELS out there tried to HQ with it yet. My mom's Singer
hates me and my Kenmore is not here *sniffle sniffle*. I bought a
hoop and am really DYING to hand-quilt something. Should I chance it
or hand-baste as usual? TIA for your advice and help!

A Joy in Hawaii

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old November 2nd 03, 10:17 PM
Marcella Tracy Peek

Ick! As you quilt - even the very first four stitches with a brand new
needle - it's like the batting is holding onto the needle and won't let
go. I found it very hard to get small stitches - and I'm not talking 20
to the inch either! I like to quilt about 11-12 to the inch and I
wasn't even coming close.

I love it, love it, love it for machine quilting. It's the batting I
_require_ for my beginning classes and I don't require much. I'm more
of a whatever pins you have, whatever kind of thread teacher. But I
insist on this batting for my beginner class.

I teach handquilting too and would love to be able to tell my students
that the sprays or fusible batts are great for HQ. It would save lots
of basting time. But, I can't.

sorry
marcella

Old November 8th 03, 05:41 PM
Dr. Quilter

I mentioned that maybe I could blind stitch the bias tape with black
on both sides by hand, and the teacher looked at me as if I was crazy!
but she is really into speedy methods, the whole idea of this class was
to take a pattern that they sell as reverse aplique and make it easier
and faster with the fusible webbing.