Soldering jump rings with glass

Old September 5th 04, 05:27 PM
Robin

Default Soldering jump rings with glass

I am making some bracelets made of large jump rings with glass beads
(furnace glass or cane glass). Seems to be working pretty much ok except
that I have an occasional glass bead crack (maybe 1 out of 10). To solve
this problem, I cut a strip of fiber blanket and am laying it over the glass
while I solder. I realize that this doesn't keep the heat from the jump
ring from overheating the glass, but I seem to be having a little better
luck that way than when I don't use it. Has anyone discovered a better way
to do it? Since I am using so many beads, it doesn't seem cost effective to
use the Chill Gel. And I tried with the little water bowl, but all that
happened was that the water got really hot but the solder (extra easy) never
melted. Some of the beads are $1 per gram, so I don't want to break too
many of them. And should the glass be re-annealed after the soldering?
Thanks - I'd appreciate hearing how other people handle this.

Old September 7th 04, 06:44 AM
C Ryman

If the wire is a large size then perhaps you don't need to solder them.

--
Connie Ryman
Cryman Studio

Old September 7th 04, 03:38 PM
Burt Lewis

Hi,

You might want to try burying the glass in some wet sand if possible.
Sounds like an interesting project, can you provide a link so we can
see what it looks like?

===========================
I don't check my email through this account but you can contact me at:
http://www.eastonmass.com/forum/contact/
Old September 7th 04, 03:38 PM
Robin

They're 16 and 18 ga, but some of the rings are about the size of a nickel.
I'm making bracelets which could get caught on something, so I'd feel a
little better if they were soldered.

Old September 8th 04, 02:05 AM
Robin

Well, it's definitely nothing fancy, but here is one of them. I actually
did this one (17 beads) without cracking a single one.

http://www.stellaceleste.com/htm/bracelets.htm

Kind of hard to scan since you have to see the beads from the side to see
the color in them.

Thanks for the suggestion about the sand - guess I'll have to make a trip to
Florida to look for it. (going there next week to visit family)

Old September 8th 04, 05:44 AM
-SP-

"Robin" wrote in message
I am making some bracelets made of large jump rings with glass beads

After seeing your image, you really shouldn't have a problem with
soldering those rings.

I'd appreciate hearing how other people handle this.

I would hold the bead in either soldering tweezers or some other
third-hand, with the join up and well clear of the beads. Get the join
hot quickly, and dab your solder and flux on at the same time. Hardly
any heat will reach the beads. Remember, with soldering, it's not the
heat of the flame that melts the solder, it's the heat of the metal
being soldered that melts the solder, the flame is there to make this
happen.

Good luck.

-SP-

Old September 8th 04, 05:44 AM
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

It seems to me, investment (or some other substance - Peter? guys?)
could be painted on to the glass and built up, PARTICULARLY in the
bead's hole, in such a way that the slver jump ring is centered in the
bead's hole and held away from touching it by the investment. Then,
pointing the flame sideways or even slightly up, away from the
investment coated glass bead, and probably using easy solder, a joint
could be made without overheating the glass. Removing the investment
cold be tricky I suppose.

nice bracelet

Carl
1 Lucky Texan

"Burt Lewis" wrote in message

Hi,

You might want to try burying the glass in some wet sand if possible.
Sounds like an interesting project, can you provide a link so we can
see what it looks like?

===========================
I don't check my email through this account but you can contact me at:
http://www.eastonmass.com/forum/contact/

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)
Old September 8th 04, 05:45 AM
Carl West

Robin wrote:

Well, it's definitely nothing fancy, but here is one of them. I actually
did this one (17 beads) without cracking a single one.

http://www.stellaceleste.com/htm/bracelets.htm

Fun stuff.

It looks like, with a little care in the setup you can keep the wire
from touching the glass during the soldering. (a 'third hand' tool will
be _very_ helpful). If so, just go in small, hot, and fast and make it
happen.

Make a practice ring, put it through a bead, solder it, cut it open in
another place, solder it again, repeat until you are surprised how close
you can work to a previous joint without it falling apart.

Have the bead on the bottom, the joint on top, and point the torch up
from below.

--
Carl West http://carl.west.home.comcast.net

change the 'DOT' to '.' to email me

"Clutter"? This is an object-rich environment.
Old September 8th 04, 08:36 AM
Ted Frater

Robin wrote:
[...]

Now we have an image to look at we can see what your trying to do.!!.
IF your happy soldering up the jump rings thats fine,
however you always need to ask the following question when planning any
production technique.
Is there another way to join this metal together thats easier and
faster for me/you?
It will depend on how many bracelets you plan to make weekly or daily .
Ive always asked this question when ive made items on a production basis
in this case you aught to consider a mechanical joint. For example,
fold the wire over on itself like you would if your joining say some
fence wire, then die crush it into an oval. this will be as strong as a
solder joint, with no heat and no pickling or polishing.
you would need to make up asimple 2 part hinged tool to do this easy
enough for a silversmith to do. Youse your bench vice to give you the
squeeze,. here id use a fly press it would then only take a couple of
seconds to form the oval or round bead. What ever shape you fancy.
just give it some thgought and youll find a way to do it much faster.

Old September 9th 04, 04:41 AM
NE333RO

IF your happy soldering up the jump rings thats fine,
however you always need to ask the following question when planning any
production technique.
Is there another way to join this metal together thats easier and
faster for me/you?

Don't forget to also ask yourself if doing it in another way is strong
enough for the use/abuse it will be put to, if it will catch clothes/skin/etc,
and most importantly, if it is as aesthetically pleasing.

Review: Snapeez Jump Rings Kandice Seeber Beads 0 July 22nd 04 01:44 PM
Soldering Jump Rings Raane Jewelry 10 March 16th 04 05:28 PM
Silver jump rings? Harry Beads 18 January 27th 04 06:42 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM