HEAT RETENTIVE PLATES

Old July 25th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Juan

Default HEAT RETENTIVE PLATES

Bob,
Don't forget that the rim remains cool, that is also different and very
important,
It also has a delay action, so the heat" kicks in" when it is needed,
the food by itself is served hot, and remains hot for several minutes.
It is about managing your stored energy wisely.
Regards
Juan
P.S I LIKE QUESTIONS, MAKE A BIG LIST AND I WILL ANSWER THEM.

Bob Masta wrote:
On 23 Jul 2006 05:51:50 -0700, "steve "
wrote:

bob, sounds like a scam to buy his plate. much like a perpetual motion
machine. if a plate retained heat so well, it wouldn't do much good in
keeping steaks warm either.

I don't see him claiming anything that violates any laws of physics.
A plate is a big mass, relative to the food you put on it. If you
put food on a cold plate, the food will cool down faster than if
you put it on a warm plate, because the food is transferring heat
to the plate due to the temperature difference. As I understand
his design, it just reverses the situation so the plate is as hot as
or hotter than the food. As a bonus, the plate apparently has
embedded in it a big slug of some substance that heats up via
microwaves. That extra mass will further extend the temperature
decay time. Nothing tricky about that, it's just like heating
a heavy plate in a conventional oven before you serve the food.
His invention is all about heating it quickly in the microwave,
without cracking the plate.

Best regards,

Bob Masta
dqatechATdaqartaDOTcom

D A Q A R T A
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Home of DaqGen, the FREEWARE signal generator

Old July 25th 06, 10:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Juan

Hi,
The plate captures about 1200 Watts minutes of energy, you can do a lot
with that if you manage your captured enery and release it at a
controlled rate.
The thing is most of us do not know about the stefan- boltzmann law.
I explain it in my website
http://www.heatretentiveplates.com
and
http://www.heatstoragedish.com
Take care!
Juan

wrote:

[...]

Yes, but the mass of the "energy reservoir" will - by definition -
require a large amount of energy to heat it up sufficiently.

Whether it is possible for this to be practical will depend on whether a
standard microwave oven could lead to the absorption of sufficient
energy in 1 minute to provide a sufficient reservoir of energy to
maintain the plate's temperature for eg 30 minutes.

Also it needs to be borne in mind that the "standard" part of the plate
will not be heated by the microwave energy and therefore the internal
reservoir also needs to provide sufficient energy to bring the rest of
the plate up to its "hot" condition.

I'm far from convinced !

pHIL

Old July 26th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta

On 25 Jul 2006 13:21:54 -0700, "Juan" wrote:

Hi Bob,
It does not rattle because the separation between the pointed bosses
and the heater is only about 1 millimeter, the susceptor is simply iron
particles and red earthenware.

snip

What sort of firing range pottery can this technique be used for?
When you mention red earthenware for the heater, that makes
me think it is for low-fire (unvitrified) pottery only. Or do you
have some other additives that allow it to fire hotter without
melting? My concern is that if the overall plate is unvitrified
earthenware, there will be an additional unwelcome microwave
problem due to water trapped in the absorbent body. That
might not happen right away, but sooner or later, after enough
washing cycles, some user is going to discover that the rims
get *hot*, just due to trapped water, independent of your susceptor.
Just a thought.

Thanks for your generous sharing of information!

Old July 26th 06, 03:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
DKat

Posting would be nice. How much are you thinking of selling them for or did
I miss that one?
"Juan" wrote in message
oups.com...
steve,
I forgot, you can't buy them, I have the only working prototypes.
By the way, If you prehea t them for 1:15 minutes, they remain HOT FOR
45 MINUTES.(140deg. F after that time). I can teach you to make them.or
rather post so that everybody learns. just let me know.
Juan

steve wrote:
bob, sounds like a scam to buy his plate. much like a perpetual motion
machine. if a plate retained heat so well, it wouldn't do much good in
keeping steaks warm either.

take a brick out of a raku kiln for 1 hour & you'll see a good deal of
heat "retained" lost to understand the scale of his claim. it'll reach
room temp in an hour, maybe 1/2 hour.

THAT's from 1800F... AND it'll keep steaks warm...

now, pull anything from say 400F out & leave it sit. ~ room temp
pretty quick. (even zapped in a micro)

the claim doesn't make sense in the heattransfer world which is why no
such device has been discovered in 10,000 years... unless it's an
exceptional insulator which doesn't keep steaks warm.

see ya

steve

Bob Masta wrote:
On 22 Jul 2006 19:41:33 -0700, "Juan" wrote:

Hello,
I have invented a new type of ceramic "heat retentive plate" that you
preheat in a microwave oven for just one minute, it stays HOT for 1/2
HOUR and the rim remains cool for easy handling.
Please see:
http://www.heatstoragedish.com
I will answer any questions and teach anyone interested how to make
them.
The plates are great for steaks, but I use them daily at home for
everything.
Truly yours!
Juan

P.S... By the way, I believe this is the first "functional" change to
ceramic plate since the discovery of ceramics in China and Japan in
10,000 BC

Excellent concept!

I for one would be very interested in your method, even if I never
made a single plate. I'm guessing maybe some sort of silicon
carbide microwave susceptor (judging from the cutaway view
shown on your site). But I'm impressed that you can make this
work without undue thermal stress on the rest of the plate.
Is the susceptor insert perhaps able to move relative to the
more-conventional ceramic surrounding plate? From the drawing
that looks possible, but I'm mystified how to do that without
having it rattle. Good work!

And thanks for the offer to share the secret.

Old July 26th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Juan

Hello DKat,
My plan is to license the technology. I belive they would sell for
maybe $10 to $15, but that is not up to me. I would pay $20, I love the
plates, but you know, all inventors think their invention is great (I
have seen coffee mugs at $ 19.95 and there are also expensive plates
just because they are beautiful).
How much would you pay for a plate like this?.
Juan

Old July 26th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Juan

The heater is red earthenware, but the plate and base are glazed
(white earthenware or stoneware)..The heater is in a sealed hermetical
cavity. I have also tried glazing the heater but for different reasons:
that is to have different emissivities.
Juan