HELP? Please? Felting...!!!! S.O.S.!!!

Old October 6th 05, 04:03 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
enews.net...

David Sky wrote:

Sofia, good point. Just like in English we used to call the capital of
China 'Peking'. Now we call it 'Bejing' (spelling?) I think there is a
lot
of so-called 'political correctness' in this nowadays...

No it's a change in pronunciation to have it sound more like it's spoken
in Chinese. For years, westerners used the Wade-Giles pronunciation
guide; now Pinyin is preferred which is closer to the correct
pronunciation.

sue

I'm going to murderously misspell, but how do YOU pronounce Nahm Penn??
(worse yet, giving away my age AGAIN, is there even still a Nahm Penn,
Vietnam?)
Curious, as long as we're on this discussion, lol!
Hugs,
Noreen

Phnom Penh is in Cambodia and as far as I've ever heard, that's as close
to correct as a non Cambodian is going to get. Though sometimes I think
I've heard an F sound at the beginning - like f-nahm penn.

sue

HI!
Of COURSE, slaps forehead, it's in Cambodia, not 'Nam... yeesh, what WAS I
thinking? Lol!
Any way, thanks for the correct spelling.. my mind is totally SHOT this
AM...
I've heard it
puhnahm penn (pronunciation)
and just
nom penn
Noreen

Oh, I've heard it with the F, too, but more often with either the P or
without....

Old October 6th 05, 04:16 PM
suzee

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"suzee" wrote in message
eenews.net...

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
freenews.net...

David Sky wrote:

[...]

Oh right, maybe that's the one I was thinking of.

and just
nom penn
Noreen

Oh, I've heard it with the F, too, but more often with either the P or
without....

And it seems to me that British English pronounces it differently than
American English, as are so many things.

sue
Old October 6th 05, 06:42 PM
spinninglilac

Oh she's off again....lol...Cher

"Els van Dam" wrote in message
In article Pine.GSO.4.43.0510040312490.19673-100000@earth, David Sky
wrote:

According to the URL you posted Cher, it's a 'yurt'. Any relation to
yogurt??? lol

David

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, spinninglilac wrote:

thnx Els....gosh I'd hate you to think I was pulling you up on
something....I see Jan did a search as I did for yurd and came up with
nothing the same as me.....I got ...did you mean Yard....lol

Well now that would not surprice me at all, since yogurt comes form the
same region. Now I will also have a way of remembering that it is Yurt
and not yurd......come to think of it that comes close to turd...never
mind you did not read that.....LOL

Els

Old October 6th 05, 08:04 PM
Katherine

suzee wrote:
Katherine wrote:

suzee wrote:

MRH wrote:

I just hate that even here in Canada, where you would think the
makers of boots would know better, that most boots don't actually
keep your feet (at least not your toes) toasty warm. I had one
pair of boots that I can remember (over the space of about 20
years) that felt comfortable *and* kept my legs nice and warm...
but my feet were often very cold even if they were dry. /

Wait a sec.... you're in Canada and you don't have a pair of
Sorel's? They're the warmest, driest boots I've ever had. Of course
they're no fashion objects -- rubber with leather uppers and felted
liners. But boy, are they ever warm!

I have them, but they are no good in our winters. Great in the fall
and spring, but not when normal temps are -40 or colder. (-40 is the
same in F and C - really cold!)

The ones I used to see were good down to -50 or -60F. They have some
lighter weight ones that are more snow boots and not as good in very
cold weather.

I'll have to look into this.

Katherine

Old October 8th 05, 02:27 AM
David R. Sky

Hi Sue,

Thanks for correcting my assumption! I have not heard that third
pronunciation you wrote, is there a difference between English-speaking
countries? (I'm in Canada.)

Thanks

David

Old October 8th 05, 02:38 AM
David R. Sky

Hi Susie,

I know endy, a woman who has volunteered several times through the Canadian
government in Cambodia. She's pronounced it like you said susie. That's the
way it's been pronounced on CBC radio too.

David

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, suzee wrote:

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

"suzee" wrote in message
enews.net...

Old October 8th 05, 03:23 AM
suzee

David R. Sky wrote:

On Thu, 6 Oct 2005, suzee wrote:

David Sky wrote:

Sofia, good point. Just like in English we used to call the capital of
China 'Peking'. Now we call it 'Bejing' (spelling?) I think there is a lot
of so-called 'political correctness' in this nowadays...

No it's a change in pronunciation to have it sound more like it's spoken in
Chinese. For years, westerners used the Wade-Giles pronunciation guide; now
Pinyin is preferred which is closer to the correct pronunciation.

sue

Hi Sue,

Thanks for correcting my assumption! I have not heard that third
pronunciation you wrote,

The third pronunciation of Phnom Penh you mean?

is there a difference between English-speaking countries? (I'm in

Canada.)

Thanks

David

There is a difference in how words are pronounced. I've lived close to
Canada and travelled over the border for most of the last 20 years and
of course there was Peter Jennings on the nightly news, so I'm able to
hear the difference in Canadian English and US English. And UK and
Aussie English sound different than the others too. Our PBS station
carries BBC World News every night so I'm able to hear the difference in
pronunciation from the British side.

sue

Needle felting Trish Yarn 5 November 21st 04 10:46 PM
knitting and felting Johanna Koski Yarn 3 August 28th 04 07:45 PM
Felting advice Michelle Yarn 6 August 20th 04 11:59 PM
Some felting questions spampot Yarn 4 October 7th 03 03:00 AM
felting with kids Els van Dam Yarn 4 July 4th 03 03:51 PM