HELP? Please? Felting...!!!! S.O.S.!!!

Old September 30th 05, 05:02 AM

Default HELP? Please? Felting...!!!! S.O.S.!!!

I need help! I know a lot of folks like "felting"...but it simply
hasn't been something I was "into"...until now. I am supposed to teach
knitting at a store that uses Lion Brand instructions. The current one
is a "felted purse". Okay...I followed everything in the instructions
TO THE LETTER...since I am not familiar with "felting"...I figured
that'd be the best thing. Got the EXACT yarn recommended: 2 balls Lion
Brand Landscapes (in Country Sunset) and also 1 ball Moda-Dea Cartwheel
in "Sea Blues". Just like the pattern. I usually try to inject more
creativity...but not this time. They had me knit the purse and the
"swatch" (for a flower embellishment), assuring me that once it was
"felted" it would not unravel. Okay. I follow everything to a
"tee"...they said after knitting, to sew it together..then put it in a
HOT washing machine wash...and run for one agitation on the lowest water
setting (put in a laundry bag for the purpose.) I did that. They then
said if the "felting" wasn't quite right...to run it again..then rinse
in cold water in the regular cycle..then air dry, after shaping as
desired. I ran it through...twice. Nothing happened. My husband
suggested putting it in VERY hot water that had been boiled. Tried
that. Twice. No change. Okay...so then I run it through the cold
cycle in the wash machine..and then put it in the dryer...hot cycle.
NOTHING. No felting. No nothing. It's just as it was when I knitted
it...except it lost a lot of color from fading in the hot water. We
"tested" the swatch intended for the "flower"...since Lion Brand assured
us it "would not ravel". Wrong. It did. Even after all that. I sunk
somewhere like $25 dollars in this thing that plain didn't work (out of
my own pocket..I do not get compensated). My conscience won't LET me
"teach" such nonsense to beginner learners. PLEASE SOMEONE!!!!
Help!!!! How is felting done?????

I know I will probably lose my job...but I am going to tell the people
in charge I refuse to teach a method that will fail for beginning
knitters. Don't you agree? I'm not a "beginner"...yet I totally
failed. Please help!

Emma

Old September 30th 05, 05:29 AM

I'm not *experianced* with felting, but I know that wool must be
used. Was the yarn pure wool?
Marie and the cats

Old September 30th 05, 06:11 AM
DA

wrote in message
[...]

Here is the info on Landscapes from the Lion Brand site,
http://www.lionbrand.com/yarns/Landscapes.htm
The company even says that felting this yarn is "iffy"
DA

Old September 30th 05, 06:13 AM
spinninglilac

Hi Emma,
Felting is done by the combination of three main things...
hot water ... detergent....agitation...
However, as this is quite a small object, (in comparison to your washer
drum) you'll need to put in a towel with the item to give it something to
bang against whilst it is agitating...otherwise it is just sitting there
floating about and turning around in there and not getting anything to bang
against properly...so it needs something to get the life bashed out of it,
chuck in a towel or two small ones..
HTH...Cheers.....Cher

Old September 30th 05, 12:52 PM
Donna McIntosh

wrote in message
[...]

My experience with Lion Brand Landscapes - Knitted a tote bag , threw in
washer with couple of towels,
hot water, etc... twice.! took it out, shaped, let air dry
and all..lots of shedding and certain colors were bumps in the fabric
(used Summer Fields ) it was the
yellow that remained as bumps...ended up wider than
I wanted, not as tall as wanted but using it all the same for what little
fancy yarns I have so they have
their own space!

Donna in S. Indiana

Old September 30th 05, 03:40 PM
Laura J

"DA" wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

It says the yarn is 50% acrylic. As far as I know, that won't felt
properly - you need 100% wool. This isn't a case of you failing, this is a
case of Lion Brand trying to capitalize on a popular trend which their yarns
are not appropriate for, IMHO!!! If the store you're working for carries
yarn that is 100% wool, would they let you substitute that for the lesson?

Seems like this store has put you in an unfair position. I really hope that
you don't lose your job but I admire you for sticking to your guns. Who
knows how many frustrated beginners might be turned off from knitting
altogether should the store insist on teaching this course with materials
that don't work as intended?

Best of luck to you,
LauraJ

Old September 30th 05, 04:50 PM
Brenda

The yarn has to be 100% wool as already mentioned, but even so, I have found
some wools felt better than others. For example, I have heard that the
bleaches used to produce white wool, prevent it from felting well. And if
the yarn is too thick there doesn't seem to be space for the felting to
occur.
I would re do the project in wool, and then it would be a great lesson for
beginners on how even experienced knitters can be led astray. Sometimes we
just need to know more than what the yarn companies are willing to tell us.
Good luck.

Old October 1st 05, 12:16 AM
David Sky

Hi cher,

As the subject line askes, what exactly is felting? I've seen this
discussed quite a lot but still don't know what it is.

Thanks

David

Old October 1st 05, 12:56 AM
Els van Dam

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Hello Emma, I am sorry you have so many problems with your felting/
fulling project. I would think that you do not have the correct wool.
Super wool for instance will not felt. OK here is a lesson on felting or
fulling knitted projects. Sheep wool, has little tiny barbs on each
little fiber when you wash your woolen clothing in hot water, and at the
same time agitate it, the woolen fibers open up and at the same time, the
little invisible, can't see them with your bare eyes,barbs, will hook into
one and other. This results in a matted cloth, or when you do this
controled a felted material. Do take in account that each sheep breed is
a little different, some fleece or sheep fiber will felt better than
others.

Before you do any felting project you should knit a sample, and felt it.
That will help in determining if the wool you want to use is suitable for
felting. Do not assume right away that you are erring, but it could be
that the people who ask you to work with these given materials, do not
know about wool and their particulars.

Go talk to them politely, and after you have made some samples with the
given materials go and teach them the basics of felting or fulling of
knitted materials.

Good luck

Els

PS if you want to you can contact me by E-mail and I can send you some
yarn that will felt well, it is a lot of fun to do when it all works well

EvD
Old October 1st 05, 12:59 AM
Els van Dam

In article d7c%e.29$qR2.17@trndny07, "Laura J"
wrote:

It says the yarn is 50% acrylic. As far as I know, that won't felt
properly - you need 100% wool. This isn't a case of you failing, this is a
case of Lion Brand trying to capitalize on a popular trend which their yarns
are not appropriate for, IMHO!!! If the store you're working for carries
yarn that is 100% wool, would they let you substitute that for the lesson?

Seems like this store has put you in an unfair position. I really hope that
you don't lose your job but I admire you for sticking to your guns. Who
knows how many frustrated beginners might be turned off from knitting
altogether should the store insist on teaching this course with materials
that don't work as intended?

Best of luck to you,
LauraJ

Emma, there is your problem, Laura has found it for you, man made fibers
like acrylic fibers will not felt.

Els

Needle felting Trish Yarn 5 November 21st 04 10:46 PM
knitting and felting Johanna Koski Yarn 3 August 28th 04 07:45 PM
Felting advice Michelle Yarn 6 August 20th 04 11:59 PM
Some felting questions spampot Yarn 4 October 7th 03 03:00 AM
felting with kids Els van Dam Yarn 4 July 4th 03 03:51 PM