About the Not Really 6 x 6's

Old June 10th 05, 04:55 PM
Kira Dirlik

Default About the Not Really 6 x 6's

Since this topic has come up in another thread, I'd like to make a few
comments on the Not Really 6 x 6's, if that is okay.

Firstly I just love Shelagh's solution with her comfort afgan. It is
almost like a crazy quilt. The black background is a major element
and it doesn't matter at all how "wrongly" the squares measure 6 x 6.
In fact the variety of sizes makes it all the more interesting. I
just love this solution.

Shelagh's comfort afgan:
http://tinyurl.com/72ekp

I have been trying to be accurate with my squares. I only frog
about 3 rows if they come out wrong (you can really tell, with only
that much), and it is easy to measure the vertical as you knit along.
Also, it is easier to incorporate a square that is too small, than
one that is too large (for a symetrical afgan). One can just add a
few more rounds to the edges of a too small one.
I also keep notes on the type of yarn vs. the number of stitches to
cast on for it to come out 6 x 6. Then I can get it right with the
very first row. And I always use a size 6 needles. (I knit, can't
crochet.) Also if you have a pattern or design, take notes. Next
time you can center it perfectly. Graph paper works great.
Sometimes if they come out a tad too big or too small, blocking will
correct it. And blocking is not ironing, pressing the iron onto it,
nor stretching it out.
It can result in a beautiful square if you take a ruler to make
sure it is 6 x 6. Put a straight pin in each corner so that it is not
more and not less than 6 x 6. Put 3 or 4 pins along each edge to
evenly squish it in or pull it out, as need be. If you don't have a
padded ironing board, do it on a bed. Then take a damp towel and lay
it over the square. Then take a steam iron and slowly steam it, not
letting the full weight of the iron press on it. When you take the
towel off, it will look really nice and be 6 x 6 (unless it is way,
way off mark.) Also, some of the man-made yarns will melt, if you
press hard.
But thank you so much, Shelagh, for showing me a way to use ALL my
wonderful squares I've received from you all. I just love it.
I hope my comments are helpful and not taken as criticism.
Kira

Old June 10th 05, 05:32 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message

[...]

Kira,
just adding my two pence here, and I know I'll get 'flamed' but, the
original FAQ's for the ongoing six by six exchange DO tell participants that
it's better to make them smaller rather than larger is they can't accomplish
the ideal goal of six inches by six inches.
Hugs,
Noreen

Old June 10th 05, 05:37 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message

[...]

the last line should say IF they can't not IS they can't, LOL!
Noreen

and don't ask why I know I'm going to be flamed

Old June 10th 05, 08:44 PM
Aud

"Noreen's Knit*che" skrev i melding

You are right, Noreen!
It's better with a square which is smaller than too big.

BUT remember... some of us have NEVER in our life used inches!
All our measures are metric.
Reading American patterns I see that they say that 4 inches are 10 cm
(then 6x6 should be 15 cm)
That is roughly, not quite correct, but knitted and crocheted material
are not so static, so that seems to be OK, I HOPE!!!!

I have got a measure with cm on one side and inches on the other,
and that seems to be nearly like what I have thought.

If I use convertion sites online, their inches are quite like this,( 6
inches= 15,24 cm)
I also have learned that English and American inches are A BIT
different.
MY conclution:
If everyone do as best as they can ( this is not easy for beginners ,
for example)
we will get, charming, slight different squares!
(I love them, and even MORE if they are not perfect!!!!LOL!)
I will find a way to put them together!
Shelagh have done it beautifully!

If I want a perfect afghan, I sit down and make my own ACCURATELY.

THESE squares are greetings from my onlinefriends, and the squares are
as different as we are!(I think you will say I am a bit romantic????LOL!
;-))

And I hope NONE will be scared to participate in the exchange because
they are not sure they can make a perfect 6x6!!

AUD ;-))

Old June 10th 05, 09:47 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

"Aud" wrote in message

[...]

Aud, it's extremely difficult TO get them exactly 6 X6 or 15cm X 15cm for
anyone, and I'm nodding that the diversity is what makes them
*interesting*!!
Hugs,
Noreen

Old June 10th 05, 09:56 PM
Shillelagh

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Kira,
just adding my two pence here, and I know I'll get 'flamed' but, the
original FAQ's for the ongoing six by six exchange DO tell participants
that it's better to make them smaller rather than larger is they can't
accomplish the ideal goal of six inches by six inches.
Hugs,
Noreen

the last line should say IF they can't not IS they can't, LOL!
Noreen

and don't ask why I know I'm going to be flamed

No need for flames. Just put on your flame-proof suit and smile all the way!
;))))))
Besides, there has to be other people (like us) who can't read with
comprehension, right?? (har-dee-har-har!!!)

Shelagh

Old June 10th 05, 10:00 PM
Shillelagh

"Kira Dirlik" !! wrote in message

Since this topic has come up in another thread, I'd like to make a few
comments on the Not Really 6 x 6's, if that is okay.

Firstly I just love Shelagh's solution with her comfort afgan. It is
almost like a crazy quilt.

Actually - that one's the "Friendship afghan". (grin)

The black background is a major element
and it doesn't matter at all how "wrongly" the squares measure 6 x 6.
In fact the variety of sizes makes it all the more interesting. I
just love this solution.

Shelagh's Friendship afghan:
http://tinyurl.com/72ekp

But thank you so much, Shelagh, for showing me a way to use ALL my
wonderful squares I've received from you all. I just love it.
I hope my comments are helpful and not taken as criticism.
Kira

Thanks for the compliments (big grin). I just had another look at the
picture, and it sucks - it's kind of out of focus. It's from an actual
photo, so will try it again with the digital camera and see if it's any
better.

Shelagh

Old June 11th 05, 01:48 AM
MRH

"Aud" wrote in message

snipped
BUT remember... some of us have NEVER in our life used inches!
All our measures are metric.

Aud, when I was little we didn't use metric at all. Everything was in
inches, MILES per hour -- not KILOMETERS, and Farenheit not Celsius. So
when I got my driver's license *just* after it changed to metric here, my
Mom and I went for a drive down the very busy 401 highway (like an American
freeway) and I was wondering why I was passing everyone... including five
police cruisers. When we came home and told my Dad he looked at me, half
grinned and asked what speed I was doing. I told him "100 MPH like the sign
said". He shook his head and said "The sign said 100 KILOMETERS per hour.
No wonder you were passing everyone. You're lucky one of the police
cruisers didn't come after you." Ooopsy! ROTFL

By the way, except for driving in Kilometers which I'm used to now, I still
don't follow any of the rest of the metric system. When I want to know the
temperature, I look at a converter that I have hanging on the wall, and I
always measure in inches... although I do have a ruler that has both on it
if I *really* need to know. ;o) And God help me when a recipe is in
metric.... I'm totally lost and have to holler at Matthew's best friend Kyle
who went through to be a chef "What the HECK is this in CUPS, OUNCES, or
SPOONFULS??" LOL

Gem

Old June 11th 05, 01:58 AM
Tante Jan

[...]

Thanks, Kira, for your suggestions. FWIW, here's how I block the squares.
I took a piece of Styrofoam and marked a 6 inch square on it. After
spraying the square (the one of yarn not the Styrofoam) until it is very
damp, I manipulate until it exactly fits the marked square, pin it in place
and leave it to dry. I also used the marked square to check the dimensions
while working on the piece.

--
Jan in MN

Old June 11th 05, 03:04 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Aud"
wrote:

"Noreen's Knit*che" skrev i melding

Aud one inch is exactly two and a half cm.

I am pretty sure that I have mailed out many squares that were to small
and some even a bit to large. Indeed it is hard to get it right on the
nose. But I mail these out happely and do not worry to much about it,
after I did the best I could....in getting it the right size.

Els

[...]

hate spam not welcome