Patron Saint of needle workers

Old January 31st 05, 11:43 PM
Jenn Vanderslice

Default Patron Saint of needle workers

I was looking for a Saint and came across this:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00252.htm

/J
--
ASC: Born to Herf 2005: http://www.geocities.com/borntoherf/
RCTY F.O.s: http://tinyurl.com/64dq5

Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing wonder and awe -
the starry heavens above me and the moral law within me. - Immanuel Kant

Old February 1st 05, 07:46 AM
Anna MCM

Jenn Vanderslice wrote:
I was looking for a Saint and came across this:
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/pst00252.htm

Nice, thanks!

I recently found in a book about Middle Ages everyday life a miniature
from XV century with a Virgin working on DPNs.
It was really lovely and I thought of all my knitting friends :-)

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old February 1st 05, 02:26 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anna Maria That is Very interesting ,, !! In the book
A History of Handknitting , By Richard Rutt , there are several
pictures of this kind ...
It is esp interesting since until the end of the 14th century Knitting
was an All Male activity !!!
mirjam
Ps Did you get my envelope ???

Old February 1st 05, 04:09 PM
Anna MCM

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
Anna Maria That is Very interesting ,, !! In the book=20
A History of Handknitting , By Richard Rutt , there are several
pictures of this kind ...=20

Unfortunately the author of the book didn=B4t elaborate about knitting.=20
She used the image in the children toys chapter, since near the knitting =

Virgin there was the infant Jesus playing with a toy whose name I don=B4t=
=20
remember in English.
By the way, the author of the book is Chiara Frugoni and some of her=20
books about Middle Ages has been translated into English.

It is esp interesting since until the end of the 14th century Knitting
was an All Male activity !!!
mirjam=20
Ps Did you get my envelope ???=20
=20

Not yet.

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old February 1st 05, 07:46 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Anna Maria , if it is the picture of the Buxtehuse Madonna by Master
Bertram of Minden ,,, Where the Madonna knits the neck of a shirt
,,,than the Child Jesus has a JoJo , next to his book.
mirjam

Old February 1st 05, 09:07 PM
Anna MCM

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:

Anna Maria , if it is the picture of the Buxtehuse Madonna by Master
Bertram of Minden ,,, Where the Madonna knits the neck of a shirt
,,,than the Child Jesus has a JoJo , next to his book.=20
mirjam=20
=20

Yes Mirjam, that=B4s it. I checked on the book.
Sorry that I wrote that=B4s a miniature, while that=B4s a painting.

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old February 2nd 05, 06:00 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

No need to be sorry Anna Maria , just enjoy the wonderful pictures ,
In the book "women Art and Society , the writer Whitney Chadwick ,
connects the Appearance of Knitting Madonnas at the end of 14th cent ,
start of 15th cent , with the moving of Genderal rolls ,,, As this is
the time 2 `male` professions are born , Bankers and Diplomats , both
needing [ or allowing] traveling abroad , which needed the woman to be
pushed into the houses and made House wives , and needed [in] house
choirs to be `glorified` ,, Thus A Knitting Madonna in a seemingly
House hold background was very important to push the idea Down the
Female`s mind ...Stay home Knit ......
mirjam

Old February 2nd 05, 10:26 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

No !!!they didn`t until a certain period ,, [ have to check whic sorry
to late at night i am half asleep ] ONLY MALES were allowed to knit
,,, mirjam

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 14:26:57 GMT, (Mirjam
Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

Anna Maria That is Very interesting ,, !! In the book
A History of Handknitting , By Richard Rutt , there are several
pictures of this kind ...
It is esp interesting since until the end of the 14th century Knitting
was an All Male activity !!!

I suspect that women have always knitted at home.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:04 PM
Carey N.

Bruck-Cohen) wrote:

I suspect that women have always knitted at home.

--
Barbara Vaughan

Unless maybe they were knitting in school or church ? ; -)
--
Carey in MA
(ducking and running for cover....)