Felting - Knit or Crochet?

Old January 18th 05, 08:00 PM
Sarah Carter

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote in message
SARA ??
But won`t rope be hard on the hands ????

I was thinking about some soft cotton rope. We have a bell rope shop here,
which used to sell nice thick rope which might work nicely.

Sarah

Old January 18th 05, 08:28 PM
Katherine

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
SARA ??
But won`t rope be hard on the hands ????

I have taught Kandace to do spool knitting, in the hopes that she will make
me a handle when I get around to doing a felted bag for myself.

Katherine

Old January 19th 05, 07:31 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
SARA ??
But won`t rope be hard on the hands ????

I have taught Kandace to do spool knitting, in the hopes that she will make
me a handle when I get around to doing a felted bag for myself.

Katherine

Smart lady....and lucky Kandace, you compliment one and other.

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old January 19th 05, 11:23 AM
Katherine

Els van Dam wrote:
In article , "Katherine"
wrote:

Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
SARA ??
But won`t rope be hard on the hands ????

I have taught Kandace to do spool knitting, in the hopes that she
will make me a handle when I get around to doing a felted bag for
myself.

Katherine

Smart lady....and lucky Kandace, you compliment one and other.

I think so, too, Els.

Katherine

Old January 19th 05, 05:53 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

this is my bag handle
decide what place you want the handles ,
make 3 seprate loops , [have the 3 on your hook , work as if they are
a normal DC [USA] or Treble [UK] ,
now make a DC /treble cast on making the next one into the lowest loop
of each DC/Treble ,,,, work this as long as wanted , anchor on wanted
place on bag , turn and work another DC/Treble row back on the
underside of the cast on row ,,anchor at start point .
make a second one at the other side ,,,
this way your handle is quickly made and wide enough to be held
easily.
mirjam
Just ooocured to me i could make this as a a bit longer and felt it as
well ,, never tried it but could ,,,,,

Old January 19th 05, 07:08 PM
bex

"Katherine" wrote in message
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
SARA ??
But won`t rope be hard on the hands ????

I have taught Kandace to do spool knitting, in the hopes that she will

make
me a handle when I get around to doing a felted bag for myself.

Katherine

I'm trying to finish a bag I made with the Jo-Ann sensations spectrum yarn,
which is very very thick: it calls for a P-hook or size 19 needles. I just
learned how to spool knit (quite easy) but my spool is small and has 4 pins.
I tried using my fingers as the spool and it worked great! Turns out for
this particular yarn that just two "pins", my fingers, are sufficient to
produce a cable of sufficient weight. All I did was wrap the yarn around my
fingers (2nd and 3rd) in a figure-8 and then again in another figure-8; then
I used my other hand to pull the bottom loops over the top ones, and then
made another figure-8, and kept pulling loops over. It's really cool to
know that you can do it by hand, of course depending upon the type of yarn
you're doing.

Cheers,
Rebecca

Old January 19th 05, 08:00 PM
Katherine

bex wrote:
"Katherine" wrote in message
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen wrote:
[...]

I used to do finger-knitting, too, REbecca, when I was a child. Haven't done
it for years.

Katherine

Old January 19th 05, 08:56 PM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Katherine wrote:
bex wrote:
"Katherine" wrote

I just learned how to spool knit (quite easy) but my spool
is small and has 4 pins. I tried using my fingers as the spool and it
worked great! Turns out for this particular yarn that just two
"pins", my fingers, are sufficient to produce a cable of sufficient
weight. All I did was wrap the yarn around my fingers (2nd and 3rd)
in a figure-8 and then again in another figure-8; then I used my
other hand to pull the bottom loops over the top ones, and then made
another figure-8, and kept pulling loops over. It's really cool to
know that you can do it by hand, of course depending upon the type of
yarn you're doing.

I used to do finger-knitting, too, REbecca, when I was a child. Haven't
done it for years.

The two-finger cord is also called lucet cord. I learned to do it on a
pair of knitting needles, but there are y-shaped gadgets sold (called
"lucets") that are made for it. It's surprisingly strong, even when made
with very thin yarn. I've used it for mitten strings. With crochet
cotton it could be used for shoelaces or for draw-strings for bags.
I think there's a way to use more than one color but I haven't played
with it that much.

=Tamar
Old January 19th 05, 09:55 PM
Katherine

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
Katherine wrote:
bex wrote:
"Katherine" wrote

[...]

Interesting, Tamar. I have not heard that name before.

Katherine