Power outage

Old August 15th 03, 09:40 AM
G.Kelly

Yes Anna that is nice - I must say on one visit to the USA I was asked if we
have Christmas at the same time and date !! I suppose a hot Christmas
would seem odd to the Northern Hemisphere - especially wen we celebrate it
with fake snow on the windows etc etc God Bless gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Anna MCM" wrote in message
Katherine Burgess wrote:

Gwen,
Isn't the 15th also the Feast of the Assumption?
Katherine

Yes it is, and today is one of the main festivities in Italy.
Apart the religiuos meaning of the day, the feast is called Ferragosto,
from the Latin Feriae Augustae, Feast of the Emperor Augustus.
No one works (apart ER) and everyone try to get a place for picnic or
barbecue. This usually ends in overcrowded beaches an mountains and
hours in the queue on the highway, but it´s just something that must be
done every year LOL. And it usually rains! I suppose that this year no
one would complain about that!

So lovely to see that we have many festivities on the same day as Aussie
friends, even if with different meanings: April 25th, August 15th...
:-)))

Buon Ferragosto! Happy Ferragosto!

Hugs,

Anna Maria

Old August 15th 03, 04:58 PM
Norma

Well, my power just came back on, so of course the first thing to do was
check on everyone. It was out for 20 hours, and our phones were, too. They
are saying that we will lose it periodically for a while.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)
"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
Even though I know you won't be able to read this right now, I hope that
your power comes back on soon. I know how much we depend on it.
Katherine

Old August 15th 03, 06:43 PM
Els van Dam

In article , "Norma"
wrote:

Well, my power just came back on, so of course the first thing to do was
check on everyone. It was out for 20 hours, and our phones were, too. They
are saying that we will lose it periodically for a while.

Welcome back.....that is very good for such a large power outage....My
daughter in Toronto had her power back, but it went off again a bit
later. Good time for all that knitting to be done....LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 15th 03, 08:54 PM
Norma

Yes Els, it was pretty good time. I talked to my sister in Toronto,
yesterday afternoon, just after it hit. She lives on the 18th floor. People
were stuck in the elevator, there was no water, and the nearest (possibly
working) bathroom was in the basement in the laundry room. I can't imagine
having to go and having to walk down 18 floors to go to the bathroom.
Haven't talked to her today, so I don't know just what she did. LOL But I
pity the people stuck in the subways underground, having to walk the tunnels
to get out.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Old August 15th 03, 09:25 PM
spampot

Yes it is. Even if I'd forgotten, I'd've remembered when I talked to
Mom at lunchtime and she mentioned she was just about to leave for Mass.

Katherine Burgess wrote:
Gwen,
Isn't the 15th also the Feast of the Assumption?
Katherine

"G.Kelly" wrote in message

I sen my best wishes that the power is not off for too long in any area
where our group is located. The outage hit the news here thismorning but
we had to wait for details untill we came home from Mass. The 15th

August

is always an important day here - being the end of WW11 - although not an
official day of rememberance for out defence forces , privately it is well
celebrated. So I said a prayer for you people in the blackout God Bless
Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old August 16th 03, 04:43 AM
Els van Dam

In article , "Norma"
wrote:

You know, I was talking to Mom this am. She was saying that there was no
hydro to her childhood home, until after she was married and left home. Of
course that was out in the sticks, so it was a long time coming. She spent
her evening, last night, playing cards (solitaire) by oil lamp. It was a
long game, as she had to hold each card up to the lamp to see it. LOL She
said it brought back memories.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)

Interesting how different people are cooping during this power
outage....our old neighbour in Toronto, now 86, had all kinds of help.
She had always told us and her new neighbours that she would never have
anything to do with gas....today she told us with glee in her voice that
she sat next door and had her cup of coffee.....made on the gas stove.
Everyone had made sure that she was OK...We had instructed our daughter
Peggy, who lives close by to go and see if she needed anything. Peg told
us she was looked after like a queen and she enjoyed every minute of
it.....LOL

Els

--
delete doba to email me.....:=))
Old August 16th 03, 01:06 PM
G.Kelly

Yes Norma that brings back memories all right ! I did all my school work
by kerosene lamp - and , of course knitting untill we moved to a town when I
was about 14. I ofteen wonder how the women did all their work without
power - I mean I know *how* - but how they could do all the washing, ironing
( with flat irons on the stove) sweeping,cleaning even baking their own
bread and many times helping on the farm and they had the same 24 hours in a
day that we have !!** God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Norma" wrote in message
. ..
You know, I was talking to Mom this am. She was saying that there was no
hydro to her childhood home, until after she was married and left home. Of
course that was out in the sticks, so it was a long time coming. She spent
her evening, last night, playing cards (solitaire) by oil lamp. It was a
long game, as she had to hold each card up to the lamp to see it. LOL She
said it brought back memories.

--
Star love,
Norma ;-)
"Norma" wrote in message
. ..

"Katherine Burgess" wrote in message
Welcome back, Norma. What did you do while the power was gone?
Katherine

Hi Katherine. Would you believe I read by oil lamp? I tried doing
hardanger, but I just couldn't see well enough for that, knitting or
crocheting were out. Too hot for that! When we lose power, we also lose
water. We are on a well. Fortunately, we have a couple of water jugs for
camping that we usually keep filled and we have a porta potty from when

we
had a small slider camper. We keep that filled just in case. We needed

it!
I'll tell you, the dog and cat don't like it when we lose power. I guess
they are so used to the sounds of motors running, that when everything
quits, they are alarmed. They look quite funny stalking around the house
looking for what's missing. *g*
--
Star love,
Norma ;-)