Red Heart Super Saver Yarn

Old August 16th 05, 07:39 PM
suzee

Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

"Katherine" wrote in message

Richard Eney wrote:

In article ,
Wooly wrote:

obin spewed forth :

Wooly wrote:

Then there was the time I encountered a Scotsman in a London
restaurant. I swear to god he wasn't speaking English...

If the Scotsman was from Dundee he probably wasn't speaking
English. I have family who live there and they explained
"Dundonese" to me. It's very regionalized dialect spoken only in
Dundee.

The folks I was with - Brits all, tho mostly from Hamps and
roundabout - assured me it WAS English, but I was skeptical. Try as
I might I couldn't "hear" the man. His mouth moved, sounds came
out, but that's as far as I got. Everyone at the table had quite a
chuckle over the Poor 'Merkin who couldn't understand "Queen's
English" *g*

It's the intonation that gets me. I can guess words from intonation
in American accents, but when the accent is on a different syllable,
or different elisions are used, I'm lost. It's the difference between
LAB-or-a-tor-y
and
la-BOR-uh-try.

What about "lab-ra-tory"?

Katherine

LOL!
and (I'm seriously asking this, now..)...does ANYONE really pronounce the r
in February?
Everyone I know says Febuary.
Noreen

It's there, just softened a lot.

sue
Old August 16th 05, 07:41 PM
suzee

Helen Halla Fleischer wrote:

| On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 07:21:34 GMT, "Ophelia" wrote:

LOL that would be a Glaswegian then

Giggle, every time I hear that word I think of a Preppy Cinderella.

(Weejuns are slip-on shoes that were popular with that crowd.)

And they were made by a company called Bass. So - Bass Weejuns....

sue
Old August 17th 05, 12:36 AM
emerald

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote LOL!
and (I'm seriously asking this, now..)...does ANYONE really pronounce the
r in February?
Everyone I know says Febuary.

I say February.....the other way is one of my pet peeves!

Eimear

Old August 17th 05, 12:52 AM
Els van Dam

In article 8MuMe.228971$s54.52241@pd7tw2no, "emerald"
wrote:

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote LOL!
and (I'm seriously asking this, now..)...does ANYONE really pronounce the
r in February?
Everyone I know says Febuary.

I say February.....the other way is one of my pet peeves!

Eimear

Ahh, I do but that is because it is the Dutch way to pronouce the RRR in
everything......close on the heels of the Scots.....LOL
'
Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old August 17th 05, 01:40 AM
Robin

I'm one of those weird people who actually pronounce it with both r's.
Maybe it's because my birthday is in FebRuary. :-)
Most people I know skip the first r.
Robin

Old August 17th 05, 01:46 AM
Robin

Wow, is this a blast from the past. I remember Bass Weejuns from my
high school days way too many years ago. My parents bought me a pair
from the factory seconds store when we were in Maine visiting my uncle.

Robin

Old August 17th 05, 05:12 AM
Richard Eney

In article lj%Le.2104$Pm3.1532@trndny08,
Carey N. wrote:

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"Carey N." wrote in message

Good one, Noreen. The Kennedy's

The Kennedy's what? ITYM "Kennedys", a simple plural.

Thanks for the correction; now that I actually see the difference with the
"s" immediately after the "y" as opposed to an "appostrophe s" I'm
surprised I made that error.

Typos happen. :-)

They just had a standard New England accent. The "r" and "a" at the ends
of words are pronounced as a "schwa", which is a little symbol you'll find
in a pronouncing dictionary that represents a sort of "blank vowel sound"
that is not especially distinguished from any other vowel. It's just that
when you are expecting an "r" and hear a "schwa", you mentally insert an
"a", and vice versa. It's as much in the mind of the listener as in the
mind of the speaker. A New Englander truly believes they are pronouncing
those letters - it's just that we "hear" them in our heads, and that is
_how_ we pronounce them.

How interesting. But I certain seem able to distinguish the difference when
I say, "Park the car in Harvard yard," as opposed to when I try to imitate
the line" Pahk the cah in Hahvud yahd." Of course, maybe it *IS* all in my
head, as you say. ;-)

New Englanders do pronounce them differently, but not quite as differently
as others hear them... I don't say "er" I say "eschwa", but someone else
with a different accent will hear "e-ah". And vice versa(r) ;-).

My, the interesting insights we get from each other in the group.
--Carey in MA

Reading the net is so educational, sometimes I think there ought to be
a college course in it. Probably as part of a psychology class, or
at least sociology.

=Tamar
Old August 17th 05, 05:14 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Ophelia wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
"Richard Eney" wrote

=Tamar, who just got back from Scotland

O grumbles... noone told me you were here...........

I was in Glasgow, for the World Science Fiction Convention.
I didn't even get to a single yarn shop or museum. The
convention took up all possible time.

Oh my.... we nearly went to that too

It was great fun, but not cheap, though you do get value for money.
The masquerade was excellent.

=Tamar

Old August 17th 05, 05:16 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:

and (I'm seriously asking this, now..)...does ANYONE really
pronounce the r in February?
Everyone I know says Febuary.

I do. Mom drilled us in pronunciation.

=Tamar