Hello I am back

Old July 26th 05, 11:13 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Noreen - this sounds great - buy that lottery ticket and we could all get
together. Maybe you could do what a young Aussie did the other day -played
poker in Las Vagas and won 3 million US dollars !! God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Noreen's Knit*che" wrote in message
Laura,
When Katherine wins the lottery, I'll ask if she'll add you along with me

on
these trips!
Otherwise, oil up your broom, grin!
Noreen

"Laura J" wrote in message
Welcome back, Gwen! It sounds like a fascinating trip. Someday I hope

get to Australia though it will probably not be for several decades!

LauraJ

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Hello everyone - here I am again after a great trip around Australia.

have not a hope of catching up with all the threads but I did read one
form
Noreen and it mentioned Gem - does that mean our lovely Gemini is back
with
us ?

I will not bore you with details but the highlights of the trip was

first
the three days on the wonderful train from Sydney to Perth on which we
also
took our car.

Then three days at the Benedictine Monastery in New Norcia

Visiting Monkey Mia where one walks in the water among the wild

dolphins
.

Visiting Bidyadanga an aboriginal settlement about four hundreds Ks

north
of
Port Headland and three hundred Ks south of Broome - and it is the only
place inbetween !! One has to have permission to visit aboriginal land
and
this was made possible by their being a school teacher there who is a
Servas
Host and so all was arranged for us and while there we attended Mass on
the
beach with the aboriginal community which was the most wonderful
experience.

Taking a flight over the Kimberley area including the Bungle Bungle
Mountains and landing on Lake Argyle. and seeing form the air the large
Argyle Diamond mine - said to be the biggest in the world.

Another flight took us right up across the "top end" of Australia and
along
the shore of the Timor Sea. This flight stopped at a Mission Station

for
morning tea and a Cattle Station for lunch.

Then back in our own state seeing green for the first times in months
!!!!!

It is good to be back and I hope you have all had good health and that

no
bad news came your way - I take this opportunity to send my sympathies

anyone affected personally by the London bombings.God Bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

Old July 26th 05, 11:19 AM
Gwendoline Kelly

Ladies just get your transport brooms, vacume cleaners,transporters etc
organised and do not take too long - I am waiting God Bless Gwen

--

"Katherine" wrote in message
Noreen's Knit*che wrote:
"MRH" mthecarpenteratxcelcodotondotca wrote in message
"emerald" wrote in message

Laura,
When Katherine wins the lottery, I'll ask if she'll add you along
with me on these trips!
Otherwise, oil up your broom, grin!

Hey, what's with the brooms? We are *modern* stitch witches, after
all. What we need is a transporter, a la Star Trek!

Eimear

LOL I was thinking less futuristic... something like flying ...
vacuum cleaners. hehehe

Gem

Ah, but then we have the model arguments ala autos... chev, ford,
chrysler, etc.
now
hoover, dyson, electrolux, etc
brooms, on the other hand, are generic, lol
Noreen
ever silly

Don't tell Harry Potter that! Remember the Nimbus 2000???

Katherine

Slaps forehead, What WAS I *thinking*???
Noreen

Old July 26th 05, 03:25 PM
MRH

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Gemini you are right in saying that it is a sense of awe to see parts of
ones own country - yet when you mentioned places like Hudson Bat and the
Great Lakes and the history etc of these and other places I get goose
pimples having seen all the places you mentioned. The history of North
America is facinating and was well learned in our schools of my time (
cannot vouch for that now ! ) and ,you see, you have so much history as
does
Europe and the middle east.

Our history is only 217 years old - the first settlement was made in 1788
although Captain Cook discovered it in 1770 so there is not much to see in
old buildings etc - the oldest is usually around the 1830's except for a
few
slab huts and such.
One really cannot follow any of the explorers tracks either - except for
coastal exploration - because the centre is all desert with no roads etc
and a number of the explorers who set out to explore these areas perished.

I think the little bit of history that affected me most was that one Dirk
Hartog first discovered Western Australia and tacked a pewter plate to a
tree to tell he had been there and William Dampier also discovered the
west
coast in 1688 but obviously took one look at the barren land and gave any
idea of colonisation away - I can now understand why !! However it amazes
me
that one hundred years passed before the British decided that Australia
might not be so bad after all,since Captain Cook had discovered the east
coast. So you can see even at school there was not much Australian
history
to learn - but we knew of all the facinating places to see overseas and
that
is why , no matter where you go, you will always find some Aussie tourists
.
Maybe it is because we live on an island that everyone has a great desire
" go overseas" God Bless Gwen

Ahh... the old "Grass is always greener..." bit huh? ;o) Yes, I can
imagine most people wanting to see other countries regardless what the
people living there think of the place. It's always interesting to have a
look around (whether it be at the scenery ... my personal favorite..., or
old buildings, artworks, etc) someplace you've never been.

Gemini

Jeesh... back again! MRH Yarn 19 July 23rd 05 08:43 PM
Back of the work Alison in OH Needlework 5 November 29th 04 07:08 PM
back home again CNYstitcher Quilting 3 February 9th 04 03:09 PM
I'm back -- and the stash is safe! ;) -- somewhat OT Sandy Foster Quilting 6 January 15th 04 07:02 PM
OT- back from the southwest :D alia Beads 6 September 9th 03 08:03 PM