About the Not Really 6 x 6's

Old June 15th 05, 02:03 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
MRH mthecarpenteratxcelcodotondotca wrote:
snip
*grin* Possibly, but I've never tried. Besides... the blouse is Matthew's
(by mom Mom's directions) so I have to find out what he wants done with it,
if anything. Never know, he may just want it left alone so he can envision
her wearing it... I don't delve that deeply into his private thoughts about
his grandparents. )

I had a favorite blouse and when it wore out, my mother framed a small
piece of it so I could hang it on the wall. Mine was under glass, but
if Matthew wants to be able to touch it, it could be framed with a little
soft quilt padding (or old nylons) under it.

=Tamar
Old June 15th 05, 02:11 AM
Richard Eney

In article Mqpre.1668674$8l.1049508@pd7tw1no,
emerald wrote:

I heard something the other day about sizes.............IIRC it was that
some of the more expensive manufacturers are quietly enlarging their
garments so that if you used to be a size 12, you now fit into a size 10, or
even size 8. Apparently this is to boost the self-esteem of those people who
feel bad about their size..................go figure!! (no pun intended
LOL!)

The more expensive ones? That's nothing new. Back in the mid-1960s I found
an expensive "size 9/10" dress that fits women who wear up to a size 16 in
the ordinary clothing stores.
My mother always said "If you spend enough money, you're a size ten
no matter how fat you are" and she was right.

They've been pushing "size ten" so long that now they're pushing "size
eight", "size four" and even "size two" as the only appropriate size for
women to wear. No wonder teenage girls are desperate to be emaciated.

=Tamar

Old June 15th 05, 02:17 AM
Katherine

Richard Eney wrote:
In article ,
MRH mthecarpenteratxcelcodotondotca wrote:
snip
*grin* Possibly, but I've never tried. Besides... the blouse is
Matthew's (by mom Mom's directions) so I have to find out what he
wants done with it, if anything. Never know, he may just want it
left alone so he can envision her wearing it... I don't delve that
deeply into his private thoughts about his grandparents. )

I had a favorite blouse and when it wore out, my mother framed a small
piece of it so I could hang it on the wall. Mine was under glass, but
if Matthew wants to be able to touch it, it could be framed with a
little soft quilt padding (or old nylons) under it.

That's a great idea!

Katherine

Old June 15th 05, 04:35 AM
MRH

"Richard Eney" wrote in message
In article ,
MRH mthecarpenteratxcelcodotondotca wrote:
snip
*grin* Possibly, but I've never tried. Besides... the blouse is
Matthew's
(by mom Mom's directions) so I have to find out what he wants done with
it,
if anything. Never know, he may just want it left alone so he can
envision
her wearing it... I don't delve that deeply into his private thoughts
about
his grandparents. )

I had a favorite blouse and when it wore out, my mother framed a small
piece of it so I could hang it on the wall. Mine was under glass, but
if Matthew wants to be able to touch it, it could be framed with a little
soft quilt padding (or old nylons) under it.

That is such a nice idea! ) I also have an old robe (plain dusty rose
coloured) that Matthew would spend hours untying the bow on, and I would
re-do, over and over again. Kept him amused. ;o) Maybe (if he wants) I'll
do something like your suggestion with both a piece of the robe and a piece
of the blouse someday for him.

We'll see. Besides, I really do need to find which box or bag they are
hidden away in. No.... we're not finished going through everything from
the move... I *knew* this would happen.

Gem

Old July 5th 05, 09:53 AM
B Vaughan

On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 11:44:20 +0000 (UTC), Penny Gaines
wrote:

That's one I can't get my head round - why do American recipes have things
like "a cup of butter", or if in metric 200ml of flour? I can understand
measuring liquids by volume, but solids, even ones like sugar and flour,
can't be measured as accurately by volume as by weight.

Measuring fats by volume has always seemed insane to me. When I was in
school, they taught us to measure 1/2 cup of butter by putting half a
cup of water into a liquid measuring cup and adding butter until the
water line reached one cup. This is really bizzare, as you have to
make sure the butter is entirely submerged and then you have to drain
off all the water.

Flour is less of a problem for me, as Americans have special cups for
measuring such things. You use the cup to scoop up the flour (or
sugar, etc.) and then you level it off with a knife.

Now that I live in Italy, I have switched to weighing ingredients.
I've realized that I can often weigh the dry ingredients
progressively. (i.e., 100 grams of white flour, add whole wheat flour
to 200 grams, then add sugar to 250 grams). However, for some old
recipes that I know by heart, I still scoop up the flour in my one-cup
measure and level it off. It's actually faster.

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero dot it.
Old July 5th 05, 04:30 PM
emerald

"B Vaughan" wrote
Now that I live in Italy,

Whereabouts in Italy do you live, Barbara, if you don't mind my asking?

Eimear