question about books

Old November 19th 04, 04:10 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Carol,

That is a ver pretty pattern.

Hugs,

Nora
Old November 19th 04, 04:57 PM
Laura J

Thanks Barbara! I have filed it away for future reference. But I think I
will need to get a better reference book because reading crochet patterns is
like a foreign language to me. I don't know why I had such an easier time
understanding the knit patterns when I first got started. But I know if I
just sit down w/ a good reference and spend some time concentrating on it I
will be able to figure it out (w/ some help from my friends on rcty, of
course!). Now if I could just find that time...

LauraJ

"B Vaughan" wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:44:44 GMT, "Laura J"
wrote:

Wow, thanks Barbara! I will file this away and take a look the next time
decide to tackle crochet. I would like to try to use crochet to make baby
blankets as I find they go too slowly with knitting and I get bored easily
just doing the same thing back and forth. But I would still like to make
some for gifts so I'm hoping crochet is the way to go.

I just found a really easy and quick stitch that I'm going to use to
make a baby blanket. I suggest you make a swatch to see if you like
it.

You make a number of chains divisible by 3, + 2 more chains. Then you
work 1 dc, 1 ch, 1 dc into the 6th chain from the hook. (The 1st three
from the hook will substitute for 1 dc, and the other 2 are just
skipped. Then you work (skip 2 chains, 1 dc, 1 ch, 1dc into the next
chain), repeating this all the way across to the last 3 chains. Then
skip 2, work 1 dc into the last chain. Basically, you're working 2
double crochets, with a chain between them into one chain, then
skipping two chains, all the way across, except that the first and
last chains have a double crochet (or 3 chains substituting for it).
It ends up looking like a series of letter V's all the way across.

Then on all the other rows, you chain three to begin the row
(substitutes for the first dc). Then (dc, ch 1, dc) AROUND the first
chain in the row below (in between the arms of the V). Continue doing
this all the way across. When you get to the end of the row, work a dc
into the top of the ch 3 that began the row. This goes very fast,
because you don't have to look for where to stick your hook at all,
except for the last stitch of each row. When I say "around", I mean
stick the hook (from front to back) under the chain, not into the
stitch. So, when you're finished the row, in the gap of each V is
another V.

This makes a nice elastic fabric, and there are no big spaces where
babies could catch their little fingers. When I get finished, I'll
work a border around it, but I haven't decided what kind. Maybe some
shells.

Thank you so much for typing all that out! It is a work of art in and of
itself

LauraJ

--
Barbara Vaughan

My email address is my first initial followed by my last name at libero
dot it.

Old November 20th 04, 04:36 AM
Aud

"B Vaughan" skrev i melding
On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 17:14:17 GMT, "Laura J"
wrote:
When I started crocheting, I also was confused about where to put the
hook. I'll try to explain what I learned, and hope it helps, but if
not, you should ask to watch someone do it.

1. Usually you start with a chain, and then you are supposed to work

snipped

Barbara, I am impressed how clear and good your explanation is!
You can see the loops clearly when you read!!
I am sure there will be others in the future who will need this!
It will be a good idea to save it for later purposes!
Aud ;-))

Old December 1st 04, 09:12 PM
Katherine

I totally understand, Nora!