Adventures with the washing machine

Old February 3rd 04, 07:33 PM
Slinky

Default Adventures with the washing machine

So the sweater grew substantially during month of (near-)daily wear
since I finished it. 'Twas looking grubby, too, so I decided to wash
it today; this is possibly a mistake, as I'll be wearing it at the
retreat this weekend and it will undoubtedly become grubby again, but
anyhow.

Since the thing IS a bit on the large side and grew so much in wear I
decided to give it a bit of stirring up while I washed it. So I
filled the washer with hot water, squirted in some of the cheap
shampoo I love to scour FOs with, and hit the "go" button on the
washer.

5 minutes pass with no appreciable change in the character of the
fabric. 8 minutes and I can see a bit of happy-making fullness coming
into the stockinette on the sleeves. 10 minutes and *POOF* the cables
down the front were standing at attention.

I spun that puppy out and now have it on a rinse soak. It doesn't
look any smaller, but it does look as if it'll hang together better.
Next time I wash it I will probably give it just a little more
agitation.

Old February 4th 04, 03:12 AM
Slinky

And adding insult to injury - today was a clear dry day with a nice
breeze (ok, a force 2 wind) but the sweater wasn't dry when I wanted
it to go out to run errands earlier this evening. It was *almost*
dry, just dampish in the armpit area, so I chucked it in the dryer on
low heat for 20 minutes with a dryer sheet.

I really do mistreat my handknits, don't I *g*

Old February 4th 04, 04:47 AM
Bungadora

Delurking just for a comment.

I have my share of shrunken sweaters, mostly as a result of pure laziness. I
hate hand washing, hate using cold water, and hate covering my living room
floor with a sweater instead of a rug. And they take so bloody long to dry. I
tried shrink a sweater on purpose once, though, to get a sweater into shape. At
that time, however, I was a neophyte in the ways of sweaters, and didn't
realize that the yarn contained acrylic. The sweater stretched to my knees. To
my KNEES!

You are flirting with catastrophe.
Dora

Slinky

Old February 4th 04, 08:28 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Dora , do you now use it as a dress or a coat ???
mirjam

Old February 4th 04, 09:54 AM
Cher

Well factory yarns seem to be just a teeny bit more tolerant to this kind of
treatment, than your hand spun yarn...
Cheers.....Cher

Old February 4th 04, 09:56 AM
Cher

LOL Mirjam, what with Slinky's sweater down six sizes as well, this is a
real opposites thread ...lol.

wrote:

[...]

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old February 4th 04, 01:07 PM
Slinky

Nononono! I just fulled it a teensy bit! This millspun worsted-type
yarn certainly will full, but it will take more than 10 minutes of
supervised agititation to do more than just hang together. I'm happy
to report that so far, with one limited wearing, the SIZE of the
sweater hasn't changed, tho the character of the fabric has. The
fabric is more dense and fluffy and the thing doesn't (yet) seem to be
growing. Only time will tell, I suppose

Old February 4th 04, 03:25 PM
Bungadora

I unravelled it. It now forms a large part of the yarn mass that is sitting in
the middle of my living room floor for detangling. I will likely use this
particular yarn in an afghan, eventually. It has a peculiar texture, almost
like cotton.
Dora

(Mirjam

Old February 4th 04, 04:33 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hahahah Cher , i once made a big sampler which i kept , but i gave my
late mother part of it to use as table runner, she died and i had no
entrance to the house , till my stepfather died , he obviously threw
it in thr washing machine [ ps he did all the house work even when my
mother was alive ] so the beautiful woven sampler became a Heavenly
felt with all thise wonderful colors running through it . i took it
obce to a demonstatration , and showed next to the sampler itself and
next to another piece oi wove of samd Warp , but which i wove squeezed
together ,,, seeing the 3 objects together was a real lesson to future
weavers.... Nobody believed they came from same warp .
mirjam

FAQ for RCTQ Feb Diana Curtis Quilting 7 February 2nd 05 05:08 PM
Sewing Machine FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 0 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
NEW Machine Knit Patterns! Marge Parker Marketplace 0 August 28th 04 01:54 PM
Welcome to RCTQ FAQ Diana Curtis Quilting 10 November 3rd 03 06:43 PM
Old Sewing Machine Advice Diana Curtis Beads 9 August 22nd 03 06:01 AM