Question

Old March 24th 10, 09:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
[email protected]

Default Question

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Thanks for any
help!
Judith
Old March 24th 10, 09:39 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W. Rowe[_2_]

On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 01:34:34 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry
" wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?

Virtually any of the normally used and available decorative woods would be safe
for jewelry, just as it would be safe for furnature, etc. Even if a few woods
out there might be irritating as dusts breathed in (when working, sanding, etc),
or as allergens for some people, once sealed in any decent wood finish
(urathane, varnish, shellac, Danish oil finishes, Tung oil, etc) you should be
fine. Choose finishes that dry non porous for resistance to things like sweat,
body oils, etc. Urathane would normally be my choice, but some oil finishes,
linseed or Tung, are also sometimes nice. Just be sure everything is cured and
dry before wearing.

Peter
Old March 25th 10, 02:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

" wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?

Virtually any of the normally used and available decorative woods would be safe
for jewelry,

Stay away from yew though.

It's very pretty but deadly poison.

--
William Black

"Any number under six"

The answer given by Englishman Richard Peeke when asked by the Duke of
Medina Sidonia how many Spanish sword and buckler men he could beat
single handed with a quarterstaff.
Old March 26th 10, 05:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

" wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?

Virtually any of the normally used and available decorative woods would be safe
for jewelry,

Stay away from yew though.

It's very pretty but deadly poison.

A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

I would (ha ha) suggest that you don't use yew (taxus) as it's boring in
a jewelry sense. Pick a nice burl species.

We have a lot of nice mallee burls here in Oz, red or brown, most have
cream coloured woods mixed in.

Curly maple is nice, and should be easy to get in the US.

Regards Charles
P.S. Yew is really only good for long bows imo ;-)

Old March 27th 10, 08:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Chilla wrote:

" wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Virtually any of the normally used and available decorative woods would be safe
for jewelry,

Stay away from yew though.

It's very pretty but deadly poison.

A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

Old March 27th 10, 08:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
1 Lucky Texan

On Mar 24, 3:34 am, "
wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Thanks for any
help!
Judith

Good posts in here. I suggest you take a look at what the 'pen making'
crowd is using. Pen barrels are certainly in contact with the skin,
plus, woods popular for that craft may also make interesting jewelry.

Carl
Old March 28th 10, 08:23 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

William Black wrote:
A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

You must have an allergy, I imported some billets from Canada, so is
pretty close to English as far as growth climate goes. I didn't have a
problem.

Yew deadly poison? Well not for me. Maybe if I breathed in the saw
dust, but breathing in any wood dust isn't good for you.

I agree I don't care for it as a knife grip material, it's too plain,
burls are far superior esthetically.

I was speaking to my teacher the other day about incorporating a nice
coolibar burl into a ring. The suggestion was to use a tight fitting
fine silver tube, and a couple of doming punches to secure a wooden disk
could make a nice ring.

Regards Charles

Old March 28th 10, 08:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Chilla

1 Lucky Texan wrote:

On Mar 24, 3:34 am, "
wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Thanks for any
help!
Judith

Good posts in here. I suggest you take a look at what the 'pen making'
crowd is using. Pen barrels are certainly in contact with the skin,
plus, woods popular for that craft may also make interesting jewelry.

Carl

Regardless you can always coat the wood ;-)

Regards Charles

Old March 28th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Maren at google

On Mar 27, 9:24 pm, Chilla wrote:
1 Lucky Texan wrote:
On Mar 24, 3:34 am, "
wrote:

Hi,
Could anyone tell me what woods and finishes are safe to use for
wooden jewelry?
Thanks for any
help!
Judith

Good posts in here. I suggest you take a look at what the 'pen making'
crowd is using. Pen barrels are certainly in contact with the skin,
plus, woods popular for that craft may also make interesting jewelry.

Carl

Regardless you can always coat the wood ;-)

Regards Charles

And the coating can always chip or otherwise be disturbed.
I would not rely on coating to keep me (or my customers) safe.

Aloha,
Maren
Old March 28th 10, 09:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Chilla wrote:

William Black wrote:
A lot of woods will cause a nasty reaction in particle form (sawdust),
however if you wear a filter mask things will be fine.

Yew is no worse than any other if you take precautions.

If we're talking about Taxus baccata, I get a rash just handling the
stuff, and I do use it to make longbows out of, but I wear latex gloves.

I've seen it used for knife handles and didn't like the idea.

You must have an allergy,

No.

It's noted by foresters for being toxic.

It's nasty stuff, so take care.