What size range of diamond will fit this ring?

Old September 16th 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

Default What size range of diamond will fit this ring?

On , in rec.crafts.jewelry jconnell wrote:

So am I safe to purchase a 0.75 or a 0.85 carat (or a 1.05 for that
matter)? Is this well within the realm of typical gem setting, or am
I pushing it?

Really hard to say without seeing the design and arrangement of the prongs. In
general, it's easier and safe to use a smaller diamond than the setting was made
for, than it is to use a larger one. But that doesn't mean that a smaller one
will always fit properly. Some prong types have a flare to the prong where
it's supposed to be set, so the prong can be shaped into what's called a
chevron, or a V shaped corner covering shape, rather than the simpler simple
wire. those are safer, but sometimes cannot be set much lower than the part of
the prong intended to be shaped that way. And many prong settings, especially
trellis types, are made so the diamond is supposed to actuall rest, on the
underside, upon those crossbars. If the crossbars are too widely spaced, then
that doesn't look very good.

A couple questions/comments:

.. First, why couldn't the store order the mounting in the correct stone size
for you? It would surprise me if the manufacturer didn't make it for more than
one size of stone.

Second, some stores like to have manufacturers set cubic zirconias or other
simulants in the mountings so they look good in a showcase. Unfortunately,
doing this means that the seat for the stone has already be cut for that size
stone and to fit the corners of the fake. it can be difficult to set a
different, or smaller, stone in those prongs because they've already had seats
cut for the large one. Plus, since CZ stones are often cut with thicker girdles
(edges) than many diamonds, sometimes the seat is cut deeper than would be ideal
for a diamond, so then when you swap in a diamond, sometimes the result is not
as secure a setting as it should be. It would be better if you have them order
and sell you a blank mounting, one which has not already had a stone set in it.
This is especially of concern if you buy your own stone and perhaps have someone
other than that store, or the manufacturer of the ring, set it for you. If you
had bought the stone and the mounting together, and the store had set it, then
if there were problems, you might have some recourse. But the way you're doing
it, well, be sure you've got proper insurance. That's a good idea anyway, but
still...

Third, you may be asking the wrong group. By that I mean that we can't see the
ring, nor are we in the best postion to judge, since we can't see the thing. If
you can post a link to a web site showing the ring, we might have a better idea,
but even then, we won't have a close look at the prongs. A better idea would
be for you to show the ring not to a salesperson, but to the person who'd
actually be setting the stone if you get the smaller stone. Find out what sort
of guarantee the store might offer, if any, for the quality of their work. This
is especially variable if you have someone set a stone they didn't sell, so be
sure this is spelled out, as well as the question of who is liable if a setter
damages the stone during setting. If they didn't sell the stone, they may not
be fully willing to assume liability. That can be a significant factor in
princess cuts, who's corners are much more vulnerable than are round diamonds.
But anyway. Keeping all that in mind, try to talk to the actual goldsmith or
diamond setter and ask them whether this is a good and secure mounting for the
diamond you wish to have set. Or have them send your stone and the mounting
back to the manufacturer for setting. Not all will do that, but if they do,
they'd be in the best position to make sure the end result is a good one, since
their reputation is at stake.

If you do wish to show us the ring, remember that you cannot post direct
attached files/graphics to this moderated group. Instead, put the photo on the
web, flickr or something, and post the URL to it.

Peter Rowe
moderator
rec.crafts.jewelry
Old September 16th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
jconnell

Peter, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response! The ring
is similar to the ones on this page (3rd - 8th rings), although I am
not sure at the moment which one.

http://jeffcooperdesigns.com/category.php?cat=3D12

I don't have it with me, but I could take a picture of it later. I
purchased the ring over the weekend because they dropped the price on
it significantly and the design was being discontinued--that being the
last of its design and my having 30 days to return it for a full
refund, I figured I'd just go for it and figure out the diamond
details--so here I am now. (If it ends up that I need to return it,
that's not a big deal, just wanted to know how many options I had.

On Sep 16, 3:20=A0am, "Peter W.. Rowe,"
wrote:
On , in rec.crafts.jewelry jconnell wrote:

If you do wish to show us the ring, remember that you cannot post direct
attached files/graphics to this moderated group. =A0Instead, put the phot=

Old September 16th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Peter W.. Rowe,

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:54:11 -0700, in rec.crafts.jewelry jconnell
wrote:

Peter, thank you for the detailed and thoughtful response! The ring
is similar to the ones on this page (3rd - 8th rings), although I am
not sure at the moment which one.

You're welcome. The 8th ring on that page shows a round stone, so I'll assume
you're looking at #3. But almost the whole page are minor variations on the
same basic theme, and the criss cross or trelis style is not unique to Jeff
Cooper. in fact it's most associated with Tiffany, who sort of ressurected it a
couple decades ago, I think... The design idea is derived from pretty old
traditional stuff.

By the way, if you contact me via email with a valid return email address, I've
some some other thoughts you might find useful that don't need to be here in a
public newsgroup.

cheers

Peter